House salad is an easy 10 minute healthy salad recipe. Let me show you how to make a restaurant like house salad with homemade balsamic vinegar dressing for a healthy starter and wholesome family friendly side dish.
To make this classic house salad, I use leafy greens like lettuce, some crunchy veggies like grape tomatoes, cucumber and red onions. For the dressing, you will need maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
This super simple American House salad is easy to prepare, and the dressing adds a burst of flavor that compliments the greens and veggies perfectly.
Greens : I am using mix of Iceberg and Romaine lettuce. Other leafy greens like kale, swiss chard or baby Spinach also works.
Vegetables : I typically use grape tomatoes and cucumbers and red onions in the house salad. Other sturdy vegetables like carrots, celery, bell peppers are great options to add.
Dressing : This is the star of the salad . My homemade dressing is made with maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper. It is a burst of tangy savory flavor that brings the salad to life.
Toppings : I am using crumbled feta cheese for salty creamy bites. I am also listing numerous other options for you try as toppings. You can make one new salad recipe everyday by just changing the toppings.
There are numerous other things you can add to make this recipe. Croutons, toasted nuts and seeds like walnuts and pumpkin seeds, marinated mozzarella cheese are great toppings. I also love to add Roasted Masala Chickpeas for added plant protein.
You can also use Ranch Dressing, Honey Mustard, Simple Italian or dressing of your choice instead of the one I am suggesting. Simple drizzle of oil and vinegar also works fine.
How to Make
Prepare the greens and veggies : Begin by washing your greens. I like to use Salad Spinner to remove the excess water and dry the greens. Chop them up into bite-size pieces and place them in a large mixing bowl. Slice your veggies and add them to the bowl with the greens.
Prepare the Dressing : In a separate small mixing bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper until well combined.
Prepare the Salad : Pour the dressing over the salad and toss everything together until the greens and veggies are evenly coated. Add the toppings. Serve and enjoy !
It is best to eat this salad freshly made. That’s when the greens and veggies are most crispy. To store leftover salad, place the salad in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for a day or two. The dressing will keep the greens from drying out.
Is House Salad Healthy?
The leafy green lettuce provides an abundance of nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin K, and folate. They also contain fiber, which is important for digestive health. The veggies like tomatoes and cucumber add additional fiber and vitamin C to the salad.
Olive oil is a healthy fat that’s high in monounsaturated fatty acids, which can help lower your risk of heart disease. The addition of maple syrup provides a natural sweetener that’s lower on the glycemic index than processed sugar.
This house salad with maple balsamic vinegar dressing is perfect for lunch or dinner salad. Use it a great side dish but it’s also filling enough to be a light lunch. You can serve it on its own, or you can pair it with an entrée for a complete meal.
As a side dish to Pasta : This salad will pair beautifully with our fabulous pasta recipes. Try it with Pasta Fresca, Instant Pot Stuffed Shells, Penne Rosa , Penne Pesto Primavera or Creamy Lemon Basil Pasta.
Romaine, Green Leaf, and Iceberg are all excellent lettuce varieties for a house salad .
I prefer to use cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes in salads. Most other tomato varieties tend to get grainy, watery and dull in flavor besides their peak season, but Campari and Vine-Ripened tomatoes are other great options for larger tomatoes. They tend to keep both a more vibrant color and flavor
Classic house salad typically includes crisp lettuce such as Romaine or Iceberg, firm tomatoes, sliced cucumber, red onions, and croutons.
More Salad Recipes
- Mexican Street Corn Salad : A must have for summer potlucks
- Italian Summer Pasta Salad : Vibrant and full of flavors
- Avocado Egg Salad : Protein packed wholesome salad
- Caprese Salad with Peaches : Yet another summer time favorite
- Italian Style Zoodles : Low carb zucchini noodles
❤ If you make this ProfusionCurry Recipe, do let us know how you like it by ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Star Rating and commenting below ! ❤
- 4 cup Leafy Greens I used Romaine and Iceberg Lettuce
- 1½ cup Grape Tomatoes
- 1½ cup Cucumber cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ cup Red Onion halved and thinly sliced
- ½ cup Feta Cheese Crumbles Optional
- Prepare the greens and veggies : Begin by washing your greens. I like to use Salad Spinner to remove the excess water and dry the greens. Chop them up into bite-size pieces and place them in a large mixing bowl. Slice your veggies and add them to the bowl with the greens.
- Prepare the Dressing : In a separate small mixing bowl, add together the maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, olive oil, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper with water . Whisk until well combined.
- Prepare the Salad : Pour the dressing over the salad and toss everything together until the greens and veggies are evenly coated. Add the toppings. Serve and enjoy !