Crispy Kale Chips are super light, non fried delicious healthy snack. You won’t believe how easy they are to make. I am including air fryer and oven instructions to make this delightful crispy snack.
Say hello to guilt free snacking! Only 4 ingredients and 15 minute to make this fool proof Kale Chips recipe. Similar to Spicy Roasted Chickpeas , Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts, Air Fried Pickles and Roasted fingerling potatoes, it is going to be your favorite go-to snack.
Guilt Free Snack
Baked Kale Chips make that perfect crackling crunch. It is something worth listening to. They are unbelievably light and scrumptious.
These melt in your mouth chips are low calorie and nutritious snack. Once you pop, you just can’t stop eating them. They are super easy to make and they look and sound so gourmet! And it is very inexpensive to make them at home.
In one sitting, I can finish off entire bunch of freshly made kale chips. That’s a lot of kale if you are wondering.. easily 4+ cups..all the good stuff !
This Kale Chips Recipe is
- gluten free
- low carb – keto friendly
- Full of superfood quality nutrients and low calorie
- Budget friendly and super inexpensive
- Quick and easy to make.
Is Kale Good For You?
Kale is considered a super food and for all good reasons. This cruciferous vegetable is loaded with super nutrients.
It’s high in fiber and a powerful antioxidant. It also is a great source of Vitamins A (beta carotene) K, C, E, and Calcium.
And for vegetarians, it provides excellent source of calcium. As a nutrient-dense, low-calorie food, kale makes an excellent addition to a weight loss diet.
If you are looking to add kale to your routine diet these kale chips are your best bet! My family including kids absolutely LOVE these chips. You must try it.
Oven baked or air fried Kale Chips are perfect afternoon snack for kids and adults. You can add them as a side dish for variety of dinner entrees.
You can also serve them for gatherings. It’s one if most requested item for my book club meets and kitty parties.
These chips make a good conversation topic. People trying them first time are so intrigued by it and the kale aficionados can’t stop devouring them.
Pro Tips to Make Best Crispy Kale
- Fresh kale leaves can brown very quickly while baking. So, you bake them in the oven on low temperature.
- Be very watchful on the timing. Burnt or browned chips should be avoided since they taste bitter.
- Massaging the kale leaves with just few drops of oil and salt brings out best flavors and evenly coated chips.
- Try NOT to season them too much while baking. Sprinkle your favorite seasoning after they are out of oven. You can also add variety of dipping sauces on the side instead.
Air Fryer Kale Chips
Air fryer makes these kale chips even faster. I love Air fryer to make crispy things without deep frying in oil. Smashed Potatoes, zucchini fries, bang bang skinny cauliflower bites and stuffed mushrooms are some of our amazingly crispy recipes using air fryer.
If you notice that kale chips are flying around in the air fryer, put another grill to cover them. This will ensure even airflow around them. Instructions below include details on how to make these chips in the air fryer.
This recipe is versatile and can be modified to include whatever seasonings you like.
My favorite is just sprinkling of olive or avocado oil, pink salt and hint of lime.
You can use curry powder, coriander cumin powder, smoked paprika or chili lime salt to season it differently.
You can also dust it with garlic powder, Italian, Greek or Mediterranean seasoning blends.
How To Prep Fresh Kale
- Remove large stems from kale.
- Tear the leaves or chop them into chunks
- Wash and rinse well. Many times, small bugs or dirt is trapped in the leaves.
- Lay them flat on paper towel. I prefer to use a salad spinner, which works great for removing all the water from the kale.
- Dry them well. This will make all the difference in allowing the kale to bake up crispy.
1 large bundle curly green kale – about 4 cups packed
1-2 teaspoon olive or avocado oil – I prefer to use the spray.
¼ teaspoon sea salt, or seasoning of your choice
Juice of half of lime – About a tablespoon
Step by Step Instructions
Preheat oven to 300 °F . Use convections bake if possible. It helps to speed cooking time and evenly distributed heat.
Rinse and thoroughly dry kale. Tear the leaves from the stalks into little more than bite size pieces and discard the stems.
Using your hands, slightly massage the leaves so oil and salt evenly coats on kale pieces.
Spread the kale over the baking sheets. Make sure pieces don’t overlap each other. Don’t overcrowd the leaves.
Bake for 10 minutes. Open the oven and check and turn the chips around to ensure even baking. Bake for 3-4 extra minutes, or until kale is crispy and slightly wilted. Turn off the oven.
You need to watch it very carefully as it can burn easily. Remove from oven. Chips will crisp up even more once out of the oven.
Let them cool for 5 minutes (I know that’s the hardest part) Enjoy immediately!
Our Popular Easy Snack Recipes
- Chili Garlic Edamame
- Kutchi Dabeli – Indian Spicy Potato Sliders
- Cheese Potato Poppers
- Grilled Shishito Peppers
- Mezze Platter
- Vegan Olive Tapenade
- Easy Italian Bruschetta
♥ Follow us on PINTEREST and like our FACEBOOK page. We love creating delicious, plant based recipes from around the world. DO JOIN US ♥
We would love to hear your feedback!! Use the PIN button in the recipe card or image below to pin this recipe !
★ If you make this Crispy Kale Chips Recipe do let us know how you like it by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below.
Crispy Kale Chips in Air Fryer or Oven
- 1 large bundle curly green kale – about 4 cups packed
- 1-2 teaspoon olive or avocado oil or few spritz of oil spray
- ⅛ teaspoon salt or seasoning of your choice
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
Prepare the Kale
- Rinse and thoroughly dry kale ( very important step, it’s not completely dry, chips will not get crispy) Tear the leaves from the stalks into little more than bite size pieces and discard the stems.
- Using your hands, slightly massage the leaves so oil and salt evenly coats on kale pieces.Spread the kale over 2 large baking sheets. Make sure it doesn’t overlap each other. Don’t overcrowd the leaves in one tray.
Oven Baking Instructions
- Preheat oven to 300 degree Fahernheit. Use convections bake if possible. ( It helps to speed cooking time and evenly distributed heat. ) Bake for 10 minutes. Open the oven and check and turn the chips around to ensure even baking. Bake for 3-4 extra minutes, or until kale is crispy and slightly wilted.
- Turn off the oven. You need to watch the last 3-4 minutes very carefully as kale can burn easily. Remove from oven and let it cool slightly. Chips will crisp up even more once out of the oven. Let them cool for 5 minutes (I know that's the hardest part) Enjoy immediately!
Air Fryer Instructions
- Set Air Fryer to 375°F. Arrange the kale leaves in a single layer on air fryer basket and select 5 minutes. After the 5 minutes, check and shake the tray.
- Cook for additional 3 minutes if needed. You want your air fried kale chips nice and crispy but not burnt. It cooks quickly so keep checking it often.
- Remove from the air fryer and let them cool slightly. Chips will crisp up even more once out of the oven. Enjoy immediately!
Adding Kale in your daily diet gives wonderful nutritional boost to your meal planning. Read all about benefits of eating kale in this Healthline article. If you love gardening and want to learn about different types of kale and growing tips, this detailed article from Happy DIY Home is very useful.