Dabeli is a popular Indian street food full of tangy, spicy and lip smacking delicious flavors. These spiced potato topped sliders are simply the BEST. And dabeli recipe is very easy to make at home.
What is Dabeli?
It is Indian version of spiced sliders. Mashed potatoes are infused with spicy dabeli masala and served with myriad of delicious toppings. All this gets stuffed in buttered buns or pav. Results are finger licking delicious Indian Chaat that is simply da BEST !!
Indian street food ! Absolutely best thing out there. Lots of varieties but same nostalgic taste that tickles your memories and taste buds. Delhi style samosa chat, Aloo Tikki , Matar Chaat, Ragda Pattice and Masala Boondi Chaat are some other mouth watering street food recipes from ProfusionCurry Kitchen.
Kacchi Dabeli can be eaten any time of the day.. breakfast, lunch , snack, in between, dinner and afterwards too. Any time is good time to grab some delicious street food variety. Cornucopia of flavors and fiesta for the taste buds.
Beautiful , delicious sliders as my kids call it, dabeli is my go to choice to serve at Diwali, Holi and other Indian festival parties.
It is a great party appetizer to serve during tea parties, kitty parties, book club meetings as well as at casual get togethers.
Dabeli or dhabeli or Kachchi Dabeli is one such popular Indian Street food snack. This popular recipe originated in Kutch ( Kachcha ) region of India. Thus it’s called Kutchi Dabeli or Kacchi Dabeli.
You find street vendors with big platter of dabeli masala and stacks of garnishes across many street corners of Mumbai, Pune and cities across Maharashtra and Gujarat. The enticing aroma of the dabeli is a fixture at roadside stalls.
This vegetarian recipe is one of the easiest recipe to make at home too. You dress it up bit fancy and it becomes a perfect hors d’oeuvre for parties.
Why You will love this recipe
- It is tangy, spicy, bursting with flavors and texture.
- This recipe is total crowd pleaser – perfect party appetizer
- It is very easy to put together.
- You can make the stuffing ahead of time.
Gather all ingredients together and roast some paav or slider buns and you are good to go!
Dabeli has several layers of flavors involved in it. Let’s meet them.
Dabeli Masala – this is the base or the main ingredient. You can make it at home or use store brought. I have used both and they taste amazing either way. There is a distinct taste of cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, bay leaf and star anise to this masala powder.
Mashed potatoes: we sauté the masala with boiled mashed potatoes. It creates the base of the stuffing.
Paav or burger buns : you can use Indian style pav bhaji buns if they are easily available. I have used hot dog buns and they turn out perfect as well. For open face beautiful presentation, I prefer to use SLIDER buns. They are easily available in regular grocery stores.
Chutneys: no chaat is complete without good chutneys. Dabeli uses sweet date tamarind chutney and chili garlic chutney.
Extra garnishes: this is flavor layering part. You top it off with sev (fried savory chickpea flour snack), pomegranate seeds, masala peanuts, desiccated coconut, cut onions, lemon juice and cilantro ( coriander) . Yummy !!
It short, it’s a party for your taste buds with all the amazing and explosive flavors ! Exotic yet easy , you will love this recipe.
I am listing recipes for making homemade chutneys and dabeli masala in the recipe card. However if you are pressed for time, store brought items work just as well.
Adding Amazon affiliate links for my go to items below.
How to make dabeli at home?
Below are easy steps to make this delicious recipe at home.
- Boil the potatoes. Remove the skin and mash the potatoes. Adding InstantPot directions to make boiled potatoes in the recipe card below.
- Roast the dabeli masala with little oil. Once it heated, add mashed potatoes and mix everything well.
- Roast the paav or slider buns with butter or oil on heated tawa.
- Arrange and assemble the dabeli. Garnish with all the toppings.
- Devour and repeat!!
Instant Pot Instructions to cook the potatoes
You can use InstantPot or electric pressure cooker to boil potatoes instead of stove top. I love this method since I can leisurely do it anytime. Even on timer. Unlike stovetop, I don’t have to actively monitor the cooking process either.
Pour 1.5 cup of water in steel insert of the InstantPot or electric pressure cooker. Put a steamer basket in the main insert. Arrange the potatoes in single layer. Close the lid. Set the valve to sealing or vent closed. Choose MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK setting on high for 6 minutes.
Once InstantPot or electric pressure cooker beeps after it’s finished cooking, wait on keep warm timer for 5 minutes. Release the leftover pressure by moving the valve from sealing to venting. Open the lid. Your boiled / steamed potatoes are ready.
Dabeli should be eaten fresh. The paav or slider buns get soggy if you leave it out for too long due to wet chutneys. You can however prep the dabeli masala in advance and store it in refrigerator.
Dabeli is Indian version of spiced sliders. Mashed potatoes are infused with spicy dabeli masala and served with myriad of delicious toppings. All this gets stuffed in buttered buns or pav. Results are finger licking delicious Indian Chaat called Dabeli.
Dabeli is believed to have originated in Kutch region of Gujrat. However, it’s popular all across India especially western states
Yes. The dabeli recipe is vegetarian, plant based, vegan, dairy free and eggless.
Mix together 3 Tablespoons garam masala powder, 2 Tablespoon amchur powder, ¼ teaspoon salt, 2 Tablespoon sugar, 1 Tablespoon citric acid. Add 1 Tablespoon of oil in the pan. On a low heat, dry roast all these ingredients for few minutes, stirring frequently. Add in 2 teaspoon red chili powder. Mix well. Your homemade dabeli masala is ready.
❤ If you make this ProfusionCurry Recipe, do let us know how you like it by ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Star Rating and commenting below ! ❤
Dabeli – Kutchi Dabeli Recipe
- 6 medium Potatoes – boiled skin removed and mashed.
- 3 Tablespoon dabeli masala – adjust per taste
- 2 Tablespoon oil or butter
- 2 medium Onions finely chopped
- ½ cup tamarind date chutney
- ¼ cup Chili garlic chutney
- ½ cup Roasted Masala Peanuts
- ½ cup Pomegranate Seeds
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 12 pieces Paav /bread rolls / slider buns
- ½ cup Thin Nyon Sev
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt per taste
To make Potato Filling :
- Boil potatoes. Peel the outer cover and mash them well. In a pan, heat some oil. Add dabeli masala and sauté for few minute on low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add boiled potatoes to the roasting masala pan and mix well. Add 2-3 tbsp. of water to get the right consistency. Continue to stir for few minute till the potatoes are well coated with the spice mixture. Turn off the heat. Let the mixture cool down till it's safe to handle.
Assembling the Dabeli :
- Arrange the potato masala stuffing on the flat platter. Sprinkle raw chopped onion, chopped cilantro, desiccated coconut ( optional) pomegranate seeds and roasted masala peanuts . Your colorful and delicious stuffing is ready.
- Take bread rolls or pav. Cut them in half. Heat the pan with butter or oil. Toast the bread or pavs on the pan on both sides pressing gently while toasting them. Remove from the heat. Apply a layer of date tamarind chutney on the toasted bread. Apply a layer of chili garlic chutney over it.
- Generously layer the the prepared dabeli masala mixture of potato, onion, pomegranate seeds and peanuts. Your sliders are ready !!Dip the sides of the dabeli in thin nylon sev and serve hot !! You can add more garnishes on top. Your dabeli is ready !! Enjoy !!