Air fryer corn fritters are the absolute best ! They are light, crispy and full of flavors. These savory corn cakes are perfect for appetizer, snack, breakfast, lunch, or even hearty dinner. Filled with sweet corn, earthy flours and a hint of salt and spices, they are so satisfying that you’ll make them again and again!
This air fryer corn fritters recipe needs only five ingredients for a quick and easy meal that everyone will love. Similar to Zucchini Fries, Fried Pickles and Buffalo Cauliflower Wings, this tried-and-true air fryer appetizer recipe will become your family favorite.
Best Vegan Corn Fritters
This recipe makes the BEST low calorie, non deep fried and eggless corn fritters. I love using my Air fryer to make these corn cakes. No air fryer? Don’t worry, I am including oven and pan frying instructions as well.
These savory vegan corn cakes are fun, simple and super delicious! It also is a perfect way to enjoy your veggies! I will also show you how to make simple substitutions to make it with ease at home. They are filled with simple, wholesome ingredients.
These delicious corn fritters are
- egg-free, soy-free and nut-free
- easy and versatile
- super inexpensive to make them.
Juicy succulent sweet corn is my favorite. Throughout the summer, I buy bushels of it at my farmers market.
Just eating the fresh corn on the cob with simple chili lime seasoning is heavenly. We love love love our Street Corn Salad recipe. It’s a summer must for barbecue cookouts and picnics. Vegan Corn Chowder is another summer favorite. I also love fresh corn in making sweet and savory corn bread as well as in Black Bean and Corn Salad.
Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card towards the end. Here’s what I used.
Corn, red onion, minced garlic, chickpea flour also called garbanzo beans flour, rice flour or all purpose flour, cayenne pepper, salt, ground black pepper and oil spray. Fresh herbs like chives or basil for garnish.
- I used a mixture of chickpea flour and rice flour for breading. It is best gluten-free flour mixture where chickpea flour binds the dough together while rice flour helps keep it light and crispy.
- You can also use 3/4 cup all purpose flour and 1 egg mixture. For the vegan option, use 1 flax egg. To make flax egg, mix 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 1 tablespoon of water.
- If you like, add 1/4 cup regular or plant based cheese or nutritional yeast. The cheese brings out extra crisp and beautiful golden color to the Cheese Corn Fritters.
- Leftover mashed potatoes can be used instead of flour for binding the ingredients together. The potato corn fritters turn out AMAZING! Add a cup of mashed potatoes + 1/4 cup bread crumbs instead of listed flours if you want to go that route.
- For flavors, I am using minced fresh garlic, cayenne pepper, ground black pepper and salt. This makes it sweet and spicy with just the right note of salty.
- You can use different seasoning mixes. Garam masala is excellent to add and so is tangy chat masala. Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, Cajun seasoning or all purpose seasoning also works.
- Cooking oil spray is perfect for keeping it low calorie, low oil. You can also brush the fritters with any cooking oil.
- The batter should be thick to form a patty. Scoop tablespoons of batter for each fritter, flattening with a spatula. If it’s too dry, add a tablespoon of oil or water at a time. If it’s too wet, add a tablespoon of flour.
- You can use yellow or white corn and if you’d like them to be super fresh, you can scrape it right off the cob.
How to Make Air Fryer Corn Fritters
These fritters are unbelievably easy to make. Start off by prepping the corn. You can use fresh, frozen or canned corn. Next, make the breading mixture and mix in corn. Take spoonful of each and flatten them like small pancakes. Air fry or pan fry them till golden brown. Flip, cook, serve and devour!
if you want to make them on the stove top – Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Scoop tablespoons of batter for each fritter, flattening with a spatula, and cook until the underside is nicely golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side, about 1-2 minutes longer.
These fritters store well in air tight containers in the refrigerator for up to one week. To re-heat, place in a lightly greased skillet over medium heat and cook until warmed throughout OR place in a pre-heated 375 Fahrenheit oven until warmed throughout.
- If you use canned corn kernels for this recipe, make sure to drain the liquids fully.
- I coarsely grind the corn to get the perfect texture. A quick steaming also helps.
How do you cut corn off the cob?
If you want to use fresh corn for these fritters, you will need to remove it from the cob. You could use a Corn Cobber Tool to do this. Adding my Amazon affiliate link in case you want to buy it.
You can also use a good kitchen knife to do this job. Hold the corn on the cob upright on a sturdy surface. Hold it on top using one hand and carefully run your knife from top to bottom and slice the kernels off. The kernels strip off pretty easily.
Can you freeze corn fritters ?
Yes, you can freeze corn fritters. Be sure to wrap them in an airtight container. Defrost them on the counter for an hour or so before reheating. Best to reheat in the oven or air fryer to bring back crispy texture.
You could make a lot of fritters at once and freeze the leftovers. Simply double or triple the ingredients in proportion.
Serve them along with creamy dip for quick perk me up. I quickly make Avocado Cilantro Dip for satisfying treat. They also pair well with Cilantro Mint Chutney or Date Tamarind Chutney. We also love spicy mayo or ranch dressing. For a quick afternoon snack, I love to pair it with Indian Masala Chai.
Can I use canned or frozen corn to make fritters?
Yes! Ensure that frozen corn is either thawed fully or microwave it to get to room temperature before using. If using canned corn, thoroughly drain the liquids and pat it dry before using.
Can I use Creamed Corn to make Corn Fritters?
Yes you can. If you use creamed corn, you will need 1/2 cup extra flour so that you can make a smooth dough batter. Rest of the recipe remains the same.
Follow us on PINTEREST and like our FACEBOOK page. We love creating delicious, plant based recipes from around the world. DO JOIN US
We would love to hear your feedback!! Use the PIN button in the recipe card or image below to pin this recipe !
★ If you make this Air Fryer Corn Fritters Recipe , do let us know how you like it by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below.
Air Fryer Corn Fritters
- 1 cup corn grind it coarsely
- 1/4 cup water to grind the corn
- [1 cup chickpea flour]
- [1/4 cup rice flour]
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon onion garlic salt or all purpose seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Salt – per taste
- [Oil Spray]
- 1/4 cup Fresh chives, cilantro or parsley for garnish
- Coarsely grind the corn kernels in 1/4 cup water. In a large mixing bowl, combine rest of the ingredients. Mix well and form a dough. Divide mixture into six equal parts. Make round balls and flatten them like small pancakes
Air Fryer Corn Fritter
- Preheat the air fryer at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease the air fryer basket with oil spray. Place the fritters on the basket. Put it in the air fryer. Choose 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 minutes. Halfway through, open the lid, flip the fritters , spray some oil and air fry further. Once done, serve immediately.
How To Pan Fry Corn Fritters on Stove Top
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Scoop tablespoons of batter for each fritter, flattening with a spatula, and cook until the underside is nicely golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side, about 2-3 minutes longer. Serve immediately.
Baked Corn Fritter in Oven
- Place the prepared fritters on the greased baking sheet and bake at a preheated 375 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 20 minutes. For crisp baking, I recommend you use a crisp baking tray. Halfway through, open the lid, flip the fritters , spray some oil and bake further. Once done, serve immediately.