Learn to make delicious Cranberry Sauce at home using this failproof and easy recipe. Homemade cranberry sauce with orange is amazing condiment. This simple and delightful recipe requires very few ingredients. Ginger and orange peel add a bit of zest and uniqueness to the sweet and tart notes of the Cranberry sauce!
This bright crimson sauce is a quintessential staple in holiday dinner menu. It jazzes up holiday feast for Thanksgiving and Christmas Dinner with it’s beautiful color and heavenly taste. I hope you give this super easy recipe a try this holiday season! You can also use it as a topping on Baked Brie Cheese Appetizer .
Most fruits and vegetables are available year-round but cranberries aren’t. They make their appearance only through fall / winter months. This recipe is great way to preserve them for use throughout the year.
Cranberries are antioxidant-rich, healthy berries. Cranberries are excellent source of vitamin C and dietary fiber, You will want to include them regularly on your Whole Food Plant Based Menu Planning.
Store brought dried cranberries are often loaded with sugar and preservatives so be watchful. Same goes for ready made cranberry sauce. It’s always good to make these easy recipes at home as much as you can.
Our Favorite Condiment
I use this sauce as a condiment to enhance the flavors of grilled and stir fry dishes. Similar to Apple Butter Sauce, this is easy to make in Instant Pot. During the peak gardening season, I also make Peach Chutney, and Tomato Chutney to preserve the best seasonal fruit for a year long storage.
Serving and Storing Suggestions
To make your next dinner party look fancy, serve it as charcuterie style board along with crackers, other cheese and vegetables. Your guests will be impressed ! You can always top it on the toast, salad or simply eat a spoonful out of the jar.
Towards end of the cranberry season, I make this sauce in bulk and freeze it for use throughout the year. That way, I don’t need to buy it from outside. The sauce freezes well and tastes superb when thawed. I prefer to freeze it in freezer safe mason jars.
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
This particular cranberry sauce recipe is fool-proof. I have made it numerous times. Once cranberries start making their appearance in the store, I keep making this sauce. Kids love scooping it out of jar. Freshly made sauce always tastes the best but preserved one gets added flavors of orange juice, orange peel and bits and pieces of ginger.
And it’s super easy to make. All you need is about 15 minutes of time to make this yummy goodness. I have also included instructions to make it in Instant Pot. It is practically a dump and go recipe in InstantPot and you can do Pot in Pot also. During frantic holiday meal preparation, things can’t get easier than that , can they?
Exact measurements are listed under the recipe card below. Here’s what goes in making this sauce. This recipe is very adaptable so make necessary changes if needed.
- Fresh cranberries – Rinse under cold water and drain it well before using
- Sweetener – brown raw sugar, maple syrup or stevia
- Orange juice and Water
- Salt – just a pinch
- Ginger root – shred it or cut into tiny pieces
- Orange peel ( bite size pieces) or orange zest
HOW TO MAKE CRANBERRY SAUCE
Combine sugar (or stevia), orange juice, and water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Let the sugar dissolve completely.
Add cranberries, ginger pieces and orange peel and salt. Bring it to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently.
Continue cooking, for about 10 minutes, or until all or most of the cranberries have popped. Using the wooden spatula mash the cooked cranberries a few times so they form a jelly like texture.
Let cool completely for least 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Instant Pot Cranberry Sauce
Making cranberry sauce in Instant Pot is super easy. Combine all ingredients including water and add them in InstantPot. Stir well. Close the lid. Choose Manual at High Pressure for 1 minute. After it beeps when done, allow for NPR- Natural Pressure Release. Open lid carefully.
Click cancel and then press the Sauté button. Stir and break the cranberries with a wooden spoon. Stir well till you get thick cranberry sauce. Remove the main insert after done. The sauce will thicken a bit more after it’s cooled off. Let cool completely for least 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Thanksgiving Dinner Side Dish
Thanksgiving is almost here and I am sure everyone is looking around for delicious and crowd pleaser recipes to impress your guests. This is vegan, gluten free, nut free and soy free recipe.
If you haven’t already, do check out some off beat / Vegan and low carb recipes we have to make your Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner an unforgettable event.
All these recipes are Whole Food Plant Based and easy to make and tried and tested in our kitchen.
Our Favorite Holiday Recipes for Easy Entertaining
- Whole Roasted Cauliflower
- Crispy Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
- Wild Rice Pilaf Stuffing
- Vegan Carrot Almond Pudding
- Vegan Creamed Spinach
- Savory Sweet Potato Hash
- Mulled Apple Cider
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Vegan Apple Crisp
We would love to hear your feedback . Do let us know how you like this post by leaving a comment and rating it so other readers know it too. And while you’re at it, take a picture and tag it #profusioncurry on Instagram! We love seeing what you come up with. Cheers, friends !!
Join us on Pinterest and FACEBOOK . You will love all our delicious, wholesome, plant based recipes from around the world.
★ If you make this CRANBERRY SAUCE RECIPE do let us know how you like it by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below.
Best Ever Cranberry Sauce Recipe
- 1 bag - 12 oz. fresh cranberries rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup brown raw sugar or stevia
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup water
- pinch of salt
- 1 inch ginger root cut into tiny pieces
- 2 Tablespoons orange peel chopped into bite size pieces or 1 Tablespoon Orange Zest - Optional but highly recommended
Stove Top Method to make Cranberry Sauce
- Combine sugar (or stevia), orange juice, and water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Let the sugar dissolve completely.
- Add cranberries, ginger and salt. Bring it to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Add orange peel or orange zest. Continue cooking, for about 10 minutes, or until all or most of the cranberries have popped.
- Let cool completely for least 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Can be stored in freezer for extended periods of time.
Instant Pot Method to Make Cranberry Sauce
- Combine all ingredients including water and add them in InstantPot. Stir well.
- Close the lid. Choose Manual at High Pressure for 1 minute. After it beeps when done, allow for NPR- Natural Presure Release. Open lid carefully.
- Click cancel and then the Sauté button. Stir and break the cranberries with a wooden spoon. Stir well till you get thick cranberry sauce. Remove the main insert after done. The sauce will thicken a bit more after it's cooled off.
- Let cool completely for least 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Can be stored in freezer for extended periods of time. Enjoy !