Split Pea Soup is comforting vegetarian dinner perfect to feed a hungry crowd in about 30 minutes! Each tasty bowl is full of plant-based protein. This easy to make soup is dairy free + vegan. Instant Pot and Stove Top Instructions included.
If you ever thought beans and lentils are boring, this delicious and cozy soup will blow your mind. I guarantee it! It is full of delicious flavors, it is filling and it is easy to make. Perfect weeknight dinner without much baby sitting.
If split peas and their color is turning you off, give them a good long stair once again !! These tiny little peas, a few vegetables and some tangy aromatics will produce amazingly healthy, soul-warming meal without much of efforts.
My kids call these split peas the HULK peas !! The color reminds them of the HULK. If you notice the nutritional profile of them, they actually are nothing short of it !! So between the “Popeye the Sailor Man” and the “Hulk Spilt Pea Soup” we have healthy dinners sorted out !!
I like to serve this soup with simple salad and Baked Kale Chips for easy yet scrumptious dinner. It can be meal on it’s own or can be used as a side dish with CREAMY TOMATO PASTA or SHEET PAN GNOCCHI for cozy satisfying meal.
ARE SPLIT PEAS GOOD FOR YOU?
Split peas are loaded with glowing healthy stuff. They packs a ton of plant-based protein; soluable fiber; B vitamins; and complex carbohydrates. The soluable fiber helps with better nutrient absorption. No wonder it keeps you full and satiated for extended periods of time.
You can find green or yellow split peas in most grocery store. They have a long shelf life so stock up to create easy pantry meal on rainy /snowy day. For this recipe, we’re using green split peas.
To make this split pea soup even more hearty and satisfying, I added diced red potatoes and carrots. To brighten things up, we stir in a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce. (Choose soy free vegan version)
DO WE NEED TO SOAK SPLIT PEAS BEFORE COOKING?
Generally the split peas cook much quicker than beans. So you don’t need to pre soak them overnight. They cook smoothly in pressure cooker like Instant Pot in just about 10 minutes. Just rinse them though under cold water before cooking.
But from nutritional perspective, by soaking the beans and lentils, you’re optimizing their nutritional content. It helps increasing absorption and preventing potential negative side effects like gas and bloating.
TIPS FOR MAKE-AHEAD MEAL PREP AND STORING SPLIT PEA SOUP
You can easily double the recipe and use it for 2-3 meals. This soup is freezer friendly. To freeze leftover soup, simply store in freezer-safe glass containers. Thaw out in the refrigerator overnight, heat up and use promptly. Refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Split pea soup thickens substantially over time. So add water or broth to make it slurpy thin when reheating.
See the exact measurements in the recipe card below. But here are the main characters in the show:
- Green split peas
- Olive oil
- Medley of onions, red potatoes and carrots
- Water or Low Sodium vegetable broth
- Worcestershire sauce ( vegan ) You can substitute liquid coconut amino to make it gluten free
- Bay Leaf and Thyme
- Red pepper flakes, salt and pepper
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF MAKING SOUPS IN INSTANT POT LIKE SMART COOKER ?
So we turn simple pantry ingredients and even super simple instructions, into a SUPERSTAR soup ! Thanks to the magic of pressure cooking!! It helps you get to the smooth texture and ability to infuse flavors in a very short amount of time.
We are talking about 30 minutes from start to finish ! And the end results tastes just as delicious if you had spent hours and hours simmering and cooking it.
We love using Instant Pot our ‘electric smart pressure cooker’ to make this delicious soup. No plan ahead meal preps or no baby sitting watching on the stovetop. I must say, soups are of my favorite things to make in the Instant Pot.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS:
Turn on the Sauté button on your Instant Pot and add the oil. When it displays HOT, add the onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes until slightly translucent. Add garlic and continue to sauté for a minute. Stir in rest of veggies and seasoning and give a good mix.
Now add the green split peas ( washed and rinsed ). Stir well so everything is coated and mixed well. Stir in vegetables broth or water. Check the taste of the seasoning.
Press Cancel. Close the InstantPot lid with vent in sealing position. Select MANUAL setting. InstantPot will come to pressure and do the cooking. For slightly al dente peas, cook for 7 minutes at high pressure. Otherwise, cook for 10 minutes.
Once Instant Pot finishes cooking and goes to KEEP WARM mode, wait for 5 minutes and release the leftover pressure by moving the valve from SEALING to VENTING. Open the lid.
Remove bay leaf and stir the mixture well. Sprinkle some red pepper flakes and fresh cracked black pepper on the top. Serve warm with crusty bread or fresh green salad on the side. Enjoy !
HERE ARE SOME OUR FAVORITE VEGAN INSTANT POT SOUP RECIPES
- HEALTHY MINESTRONE SOUP
- BLACK BEAN SOUP
- WHITE BEAN AND SPINACH SOUP
- LENTIL QUINOA SOUP
- CURRIED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- STUFFED PEPPER SOUP
- WINTER WARMER SOUP
Join us on Pinterest and FACEBOOK . You will love all our delicious, wholesome, plant based recipes from around the world.
★ If you make this VEGAN SPLIT PEA SOUP RECIPE do let us know how you like it by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below.
Instant Pot Vegan Split Pea Soup
- 1 lb. green split peas rinsed well under cold water
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 medium red potatoes diced
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 1 Tablespoon garlic minced
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth or water
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme or 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- Red pepper flakes - adjust per taste
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Instant Pot Directions:
- Turn on the Sauté button on your Instant Pot and add the oil. When it displays HOT, add the onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes until slightly translucent. Add garlic and continue to sauté for a minute. Add rest of veggies and seasoning and give a good mix.
- Add the green split peas. Stir well so everything is coated and mixed well. Stir in vegetables broth or water. Check the taste of the seasoning.
- Press Cancel. Close the Instant Pot lid with vent in sealing position. Select MANUAL setting. InstantPot will come to pressure and do the cooking. For slightly al dente peas, cook for 7 minutes at high pressure. Otherwise, cook for 10 minutes instead.
- Once Instant Pot beeps when it's done cooking, wait for 5 minutes and then quick-release pressure (QPR) by turning the valve to venting.
- Carefully open the lid. Remove bay leaf and stir the mixture well. Sprinkle some fresh cracked black pepper on the top. Serve warm with crusty bread or fresh green salad on the side.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- To cook this soup in a slow cooker, sauté all the aromatics first, then add all the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker. Add water and/or broth. Mix well. Then cook for 4-6 hours until tender.
Stove Top Instructions
- Just follow the instructions as above, but use a large stockpot or Dutch oven and simmer on medium low until the peas are soft and tender. ( about 20-25 minutes)
- For slightly al dente peas cook for 7 minutes at high pressure.
- For softer, mushier peas, cook for 10 minutes on high pressure.
- For well soaked peas use 5-7 minutes at high pressure.