Let’s call this recipe “low maintenance-high flavors ” ..shall we? Simple ingredients, easy steps yet incredibly delicious and satisfying!! Trust me you are gonna love it too.
You can make this Thai Curry Fried Rice recipe on stove top or in electric pressure cooker like InstantPot . Either works just as good.
This zesty Curry Rice is Vegan, Gluten free and easy to customize as per your diet needs. And it’s easy to make. One pot and 20 minutes is all you need to make this fragrant and spicy rice !!
You can easily swap oil for some broth to make this Curry Fried Rice WFPB compliant. To make it keto and low carb use cauliflower rice instead of white rice. If you prefer, replace white rice with brown rice, quinoa for a new, healthier-tastier version.
The rice used for Thai Curry fried rice is often jasmine or sticky rice. I had Basmati rice at hand since that’s what I often cook for most Indian dishes like Delicious Turmeric Lemon Rice with peanuts or Classic Spicy Vegetable Masala Rice.. But feel free to use any type of rice you have in your pantry.
You can prep a big batch for the week and enjoy it on repeat. School or office lunches never looked so bright and beautiful and healthy and delicious. However, I must admit, we rarely have anything left after a scrumptious dinner.
However, about 15-20 minutes is what it takes to bring this dish from scratch to table. Even faster if you have cooked rice ready. So you can devour it as fresh as you wish in time !!
This take out inspired classic Thai rice makes a quick and convenient dinner for a busy night. I am in love with these “fake out” meals. So much healthier than ordering, as you can control all of the ingredients that go into it.
You can also use it as a side dish for bbq, potlucks or picnics.. afterall, we all need variety to spice things up. Don’t we?
What are the ingredients of Curry Fried Rice?
* Curry powder– this is the star of the recipe. So use your favorite. Here’s link to the one we like the most.
* Ginger Garlic shredded
* Green Dragon Sauce or any other hot sauce – adjust according to your spice tolerance.
* Soaked rice and water to cook the rice
* Cooking oil – I like to use sesame oil for Asian dishes
* Salt and ground black pepper per taste
How to make Curry Fried Rice without frying or using a whole lot of oil ?
We would love to hear your feedback!! Use the PIN button in the recipe card to pin this recipe.
- 1/2 cup diced Celery
- 1/2 cup Spring onion cut into pieces
- 1 cup Snow peas- ends trimmed
- 1 cup Colored peppers - cut into stripes
- 1 tablespoon Curry powder
- 1 tablespoon Ginger shredded
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Green dragon hot sauce - adjust per taste
- 1 cup Soaked rice
- 1.5 cups water to cook the rice
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- kosher salt and ground black pepper per taste
- lime or lemon juice to taste
1. Cook the rice: Rinse 1 cup long grain rice in cold water really well. Drain the washed water and add to a saucepan with 1.5 cups of water. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 mins. Let it sit covered for another 5 mins, then fluff well with fork. Use immediately or if you want to use it for later, cool completely then cover and refrigerate .
2. Make the vegetables
Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over moderate heat. Add the ginger /garlic and onions, and sauté until fragrant, approx. 3-5 minutes. Stir occasionally to keep garlic from browning.Add the celery, colored peppers and snow peas. Sauté for approx. 5 minutes or until veggies are tender. Add the curry powder, plus a pinch of kosher salt and ground black pepper. Stir to combine evenly throughout the vegetables. Lower the heat.
3. Mix the curried vegetables and rice together
Add the cooked rice to the skillet in batches, stirring to coat. Make sure the rice and cooked vegetables are mixed well together. Add the Green Dragon SAuce or other hot sauce. Remove skillet from heat, adjust the seasoning. Garnish with chopped spring onion greens and lime juice (optional), and serve warm. Enjoy with gusto 🙂
4. Extra Saute for crispy / fried rice texture ( optional step)
Bring the heat to medium and press the rice down into the skillet. Using your spatula, flattening it down. Let the rice sit like this, undisturbed, for 2-3 minutes. After 2-3 minutes, give it a good stir, scraping crispy toasted layer from the bottom of the pan. Repeat this process 2-3 times, until you get the desired amount of crispiness in your rice. Your crispy toasty layered Curry Fried Rice is Ready to devour !
3. Add the sautéed veggies to the main insert. Add Green Dragon Sauce. Using a spatula, mix everything well. Taste and adjust the seasoning if required. Garnish with chopped green onions and squeezed lime juice. Serve warm. Enjoy !!
I prefer not to pressure cook the veggies with rice since I like different textures instead of mushy veggies. However, if you want to make this recipe truly dump and go, you can ! Just dump all ingredients in the InstantPot and cook at once. Just 5 extra minutes of sautéing the veggies separately makes a big difference between mushy gulp vs tender textured veggies.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
- Lodge 14 Inch Cast Iron Wok. Pre-Seasoned Wok with Flattened Bottom for Asian Stir Fry and Sautees
- Simply Organic Curry Powder Certified Organic, 3-Ounce Bottle
- Kadoya Pure Sesame Oil, 11 Fluid Ounce
- Trader Joe's Green Dragon Hot Sauce
- Happy Sales 5 Pairs Wooden Chopstick Set Tokyo Black
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 123Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 178mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g