Air Fryer Zucchini fries are the best snack-time appetizer! They are fabulously crispy on the outside, moist and tender inside and full of flavors.
Eating your veggies never sounded so good !! These egg-free zucchini fries are also gluten-free and can be easily made vegan and low carb keto friendly.
I love using Zucchini in a variety of different foods. We make a whole lot of Instant Pot Zucchini Bread during summer months when the garden is overflowing with fresh veggies.
And we love using zucchini flowers to make super delicious Zucchini Blossom Fritters. Just the thought of all these amazing recipes is making me drool already.
Eggless and Gluten Free Zucchini Fries:
This recipe uses buttermilk as a binding agent. Most zucchini fries recipes use egg as binding agent, which frankly is not necessary. I am also using gluten free panko bread crumbs to make this recipe suitable for people avoiding gluten.
Healthy – Non Fried Zucchini Fries
Love guilt free snacking? These Air Fryer Zucchini Fries are the best option. They are quick, easy and healthy. And they are non fried yet unbelievably crispy with a golden brown crust.
These healthy zucchini fries fall under the ” feel good food ” category ! Even though they are not deep fried, and use hardly any oil, they taste fantastic! You never want to sacrifice the taste while eating healthy.
Try this recipe and I am sure you will join the Zucchini fries fanclub ! Use the fresh summer garden surplus zucchini crop to make these vegetarian fries. All other ingredients are basic pantry ingredients.
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
I am using Cuisinart Toster Oven / Airfryer Combo to make this healthy recipe. I also love Instant Vortex Plus and Ninja Foodi Delux . You can also use other air fryers including Instant Pot Airfryer Lid
Cooking time and temperature will nearly be the same. If you don’t own the air fryer, you can make Baked Zucchini fries as well. I have included instructions for the same.
Zucchini – Use tender and thin zucchini for this recipe. Overgrown and tough zucchini won’t work well.
Bread Crumbs – I love Gluten-free Panko Bread crumbs. They are airy and light. However, regular or seasoned bread crumbs work too.
Seasoning – I prefer Italian seasoning or All purpose seasoning for flavoring the flour along with smoked paprika. You can use garlic powder and onion salt as well.
Buttermilk – Helps coat the breadcrumbs. You can use regular milk + 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice if you don’t have buttermilk readily available.
Parmesan Cheese – for that extra golden glow. If you want to make it vegan, use nutritional yeast.
Oil Spray for light misting and Salt & Pepper to taste!
What to Serve with Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
• Different sauces and dips– If serving them as a stand alone appetizer, serve them with a variety of dips. I love Avocado Cilantro Lime dip as well as Greek Tzatziki dip. You can also whip up an amazingly flavorful dip by mixing mayonnaise and sriracha.
• Appetizer Spread – For a party or gatherings, especially game day snacking, I make a party spread full of various appetizers. Typically we serve these fries with other party favorite appetizers like Stuffed Mushrooms, Hummus , 7 Layer Dip and Spinach Artichoke Dip.
PRO TIPS TO MAKE BEST ZUCCHINI FRIES
- No need to peel the skin of the zucchini. Just clean and wash it well and dry thoroughly.
- While cutting the zucchini, try to keep consistent size. If you cut it too thick, they won’t be fried / baked to perfection. If they are cut thin, Zucchini fries will be soft and soggy and won’t hold the coating properly.
- Use one hand for dipping in the buttermilk and other hand for the breadcrumbs.This is extremely important so that the bread crumbs do not get soggy.
- Work in batches. Make sure to arrange the fries in a single layer in the air fryer basket, leaving a little space between each one. If they’re too crowded, they’ll steam as they cook, and they won’t crisp up. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you’ll likely need to work in batches.
- Serve these fries warm and immediatly after making. Reheat in the air fryer at 375°F for 3-5 minutes or until heated through.
- Cut the zucchini in half and into sticks (aka fries) about 1/2 inch thick and 3-4 inches long.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the Panko bread crumbs or almond flour, grated parmesan, spices and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Dip the cut zucchini in buttermilk and then in the bread crumbs/ almond flour mixture and place on an air fryer basket. Generously spray zucchini with cooking spray.
- Working in batches, place all the zucchini fries in a single layer in the air fryer. and Cook for 10 minutes at 400F, or until crispy.
- Halfway through cooking, take them out, lightly shake them and spray some more oil and put them back. After they are done air frying, take them out. Serve immediately with your favorite dip. Enjoy !
Can I make these fries in the oven?
Yes you can. To make in oven, follow the recipe as instructed above and bake for 20 minutes in a 400F preheated oven on the middle rack until golden and crispy. I prefer to use cookie cooling sheet / baking rack over the baking sheet for crisp baking.
Our popular Air Fryer Recipes :
- Crispy Roasted Chickpeas
- Bang Bang Skinny Cauliflower Bites
- Kale Chips
- Vegan Cabbage Steaks
- Stuffed Okra
- Aloo Tikki
- Stuffed Mini Peppers
- Paneer Tacos
We would love to hear your feedback!! Use the PIN button in the recipe card or image below to pin this recipe !
★ If you make this Air Fryer Zucchini Fries Recipe , do let us know how you like it by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below.
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 cup almond flour or panko breadcrumbs - I used gluten free
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning / all purpose seasoning or seasoning of choice
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Oil Spray - Avocado or olive or oil of choice
Cut the zucchini in half and into sticks (aka fries) about 1/2 inch thick and 3-4 inches long.
In a shallow bowl, combine the Panko bread crumbs or almond flour, grated parmesan, spices and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
Dip the cut zucchini in buttermilk and then in the bread crumbs/ almond flour mixture and place on an air fryer basket. Generously spray zucchini with cooking spray.
Working in batches, place all the zucchini fries in a single layer in the air fryer. and Cook for 10 minutes at 400F, or until crispy.
Halfway through cooking, take them out, lightly shake them and spray some more oil and put them back. After they are done air frying, take them out. Serve immediately with your favorite dip. Enjoy !
To make these fries in the oven: Follow the recipe as instructed and bake for 30 minutes in a 400 F preheated oven or until golden and crispy. I prefer to use cookie rack / baking rack put over baking sheet for cri
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chosen Foods 100% Pure Avocado Oil Spray 6 oz., Non-GMO, 500° F Smoke Point, Propellant-Free, Air Pressure Only for High-Heat Cooking, Baking and Frying
Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute Blend, 2.2oz
Kikkoman Panko Style Coating, Gluten-Free, 8 Ounces, 2 Pack
Cuisinart TOA-60 Convection Toaster Air Fryer, One Size, Silver
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 207Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 278mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 7g
Nutritional values are provided as a courtesy and the values are approximate. The values will change depending on the exact ingredients, measurements and brands used. As always, for specific health issues and dietary requirements please consult medical professional.