Creamy Homemade Hummus !! One of the BEST things to brighten up any appetizer – snack -dinner scene. This middle eastern staple is velvety smooth and plant based so you can enjoy it guiltfree.
And it’s so easy to make on your own! A clean, healthy party appetizer or afternoon snack, you will love making it at home and often.
This recipe is updated in January 2019 to include InstantPot usage and photos.
The authentic original hummus starts with cooked chickpeas or garbanzo beans. You can flavor it with whatever you fancy.
We typically like to add tahini sauce, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. Purée everything to smooth paste, do a swirl of olive oil on top and voilà, you have delicious hummus ready!
Though there are very good store brand hummus options available, I prefer to make my own hummus. It’ lot cheaper to make it at home-almost at a fraction of cost. No doubt, it tastes better too. I know exactly what I put in it, and I can make as many exotic combinations as I want.
You can make a big batch and freeze it in individual portion size containers. It tastes delicious and comes in handy for quick bite.
Add in tahini sauce which is creamy paste of sesame seeds. This hummus turns into smooth velvety texture and creamy like gelato ;)..ok let’s call it savory gelato 🙂
Making Creamy Homemade Hummus at home is easy. It is such a versatile recipe. It starts off as blank canvas. You can make them bold and zesty by spicing it up with cayenne peppers or chili flakes. Sometimes I blend in a piece of cucumber or celery to make it cool and crunchy.
Creamy Homemade Hummus has variety of uses. Makes a perfect party appetizer or casual snack. I often make delicious Buddha Bowls using it as base and adding variety of veggies on top.
You can use it as pasta sauce as well. The perfect creamy texture is all natural without added fillers. Hummus keeps the meals on lighter side and it’s smooth texture is soo satisfying !!
I enhanced this Creamy Homemade Hummus recipe, by using fresh cilantro leaves and jalapeño pepper to create a different flavor profile. You can always adjust the ingredients per your liking.
What are the Ingredients of Spicy Hummus?
4 Cups of Cooked Organic Garbanzo Beans
2 cloves peeled garlic
1/4 tsp Himalayan pink salt
1 lemon – juiced
2 tbsp. of Tahini Sauce
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup Cilantro leaves
1/4 cup water for blending
1 jalapeno pepper, cut and remove the seeds
In a blender, add garlic, drained garbanzo beans , lemon juice, tahini sauce, cilantro and de-seeded jalapeno pieces and salt . Blend to smooth by adding little water.
Different Flavors to Enhance This Delicious Creamy Homemade Hummus:
Making hummus at home has many advantages. One of them is you can mix and match it with anything you please. We often experiment with different toppings while making hummus.
Practically whatever is laying around in refrigerator in bits and pieces, goes in hummus making. Some of the yummy flavor combinations include
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Sautéed Kale Hummus
Which one of the variety do you prefer? We would love to hear about it. Leave us a note in the comment !
MAKING HUMMUS USING CHICKPEAS COOKED IN INSTANTPOT
I always used to make hummus using the canned cooked chickpeas that are easily available in any store. Ever since InstantPot came into the cooking scene, I have been using it to cook chickpeas at home. You soak the dried chickpeas for few hours and then pressure cook them in InstantPot on BEAN setting.
I often cook about 4-6 cups of dried chickpeas when my InstantPot is idle sitting. After they are cooked, I let them cool down completely. Then, I freeze them in individual portion sizes. It’s essentially like using canned chickpeas whenever you need them but MUCH BETTER. No preservative -nothing. InstantPot cooks these dried beans to smooth and soft to utmost perfection !! I can’t tell you how easy and efficient it is to make a batch of chickpeas in InstantPot.
For cooking chickpeas in InstantPot, use enough water to cover the beans entirely. I use BEAN setting and let it cook automatically. If you want to use MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK buttons, choose 12-15 minutes for soaked beans and 25-30 minutes for dry -washed beans.
Don’t forget to take pictures when you make our delicious recipes. Tag us with #profusioncurry on Instagram ! We would love to feature your creation.
★ If you make this Homemade Spicy Hummus Recipe do let us know how you like it by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below.
Check out how we made a beautiful Hummus-Cucumber Cup tray for one of the dinner party. We used this cilantro jalapeño hummus and beet root hummus to create a colorful spread. Needless to say, it was super hit and we got several requests for recipe that particular day.
Hope you like making this delicious Creamy Homemade Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus recipe. Our blog features several such delicious and healthy , easy to prepare snack and dinner ideas. We like to spice things up at dinner table by bringing in different cuisines and flavors from around the world. Be sure to check these amazing variety of recipes.
- 4 Cups of Cooked Organic Garbanzo Beans
- 2 cloves peeled garlic
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. of Tahini Sauce
- 2-3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 jalapeno pepper, cut and remove the seeds
- 1/4 cup water, add more for smooth blending if needed
- In a blender, add garlic, cooked garbanzo beans , lemon juice, tahini sauce, cilantro and de-seeded jalapeno pieces and salt . Blend smooth by adding a little water.
- When you see mixture starts to form a paste, change the blender to pulse. Slowly pour olive oil through the spout while you are on pulse setting of the blender. It adds extra fluffy and creamy texture.
- Change the setting to blend and continue till mixture is creamy and well mixed. Hummus is ready to serve. Adding olive oil while blending adds extra creaminess so you can almost skip the tahini sauce if its not easily available. Your creamy, velvety, yummy hummus is ready!
- You can serve it with pita chips, pita bread, bread, crackers, toast, sliced baguette, celery and fresh vegetables. Use it as salad topping on Buddha Bowls as well. You can make cucumber hummus sushi by spreading the hummus on cucumber slices.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Real Italian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil. First Cold press. Imported from Italy. Awards Winner 16 Fl Oz Bottle
- Olde Thompson Himalayan Pink Coarse Crystals Salt Mill Refill, 15.1 oz, Clear
- Organic Ginger Garlic Paste 10 Ounce - 24 Mantra Organic
- Ninja Mega Kitchen System (BL770) Blender/Food Processor with 1500W Auto-iQ Base, 72oz Pitcher, 64oz Processor Bowl, (2) 16oz Cup for Smoothies, Dough & More
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 241Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 79mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 9gSugar: 6gProtein: 10g
Nutritional values are provided as a courtesy and the values are approximate. The values will change depending on the exact ingredients, measurements and brands used. As always, for specific health issues and dietary requirements please consult medical professional.