Chickpea Coconut Curry makes easy delicious dinner packed with everyday pantry ingredients. This 20 minute curry can be made in the Instant Pot or on the stove top. You will love this one pot, simple, classic and super flavorful curry.
This easy curry is vegan and gluten-free. It provides hearty plant based protein for meat-less dinners. This is one of my favorite weekly comforting go-to meals.
This Chickpea Coconut Curry recipe has all the staple Indian curry ingredients like ginger, garlic and Garam Masala powder. It also has super food ingredients like turmeric and spinach. You will love how incredibly flavorful this curry is. As always, you can adjust the spice level according to your tolerance.
Chickpeas are pantry staple ingredients. Adding coconut milk will make it super creamy. Adding spinach towards the end helps keep it nutrients and certainly raises the health quotient. You can use fresh or frozen spinach.
As we gear up for fall/ winter season, I have got some really delicious recipes on the blog so keep checking them out frequently. You will love these easy recipes that are also Budget friendly and full of pantry ingredients.
It’s a good idea to stock up on essentials like different beans, spices and coconut milk as most of these items have long shelf life. With few different variations, you can create easy new meals routinely. I am sure you will love these flavorful and nourishing recipes.
Pro Tips on Garam Masala Powder:
Garam Masala is a staple Indian spice / seasoning blend. Instead of buying several spices separately, you can just get the ground blended spice mix. I highly recommend buying a good brand of garam masala.
Store it in the freezer so it can last longer without loosing flavors. For most of my recipes, I use this Laxmi Brand Garam Masala Powder (affiliate link). You can use whatever brand you have handy. The flavors do vary slightly with each one.
EASY INSTANT POT RECIPE :
InstantPot is my favorite kitchen appliance which is perfect for making all sorts of curries. It is great for throwing everything in and locking in as much flavor as possible. Plus it cuts down on clean up as most things can be done in one pot and is so easy to use!
We have 50+ vegetarian instant pot recipes on the blog. Do check them out. We highlight family friendly and easy recipes that most busy families are happy to cook at home. Here are some of our popular recipes:
- BLACK EYED PEAS AND COCONUT CURRY
- CREAMY MUSHRROM PASTA
- TEX MEX QUINOA
- VEGAN ENCHILADA RICE
- MAKHANI MASALA PASTA
- THAI PUMPKIN PEANUT CURRY
- VEGETABLE LO MEIN NOODLES
- HIBACHI FRIED RICE
- PENNE ROSA
- LENTIL QUINOA SOUP
- INSTANT POT DAL MAKHANI
STORAGE, MEAL PREP AND PAIRING :
This vegan Chickpea Coconut Curry recipe that will satisfy everyone in your family. This Instant Pot friendly recipe is delicious, creamy , little spicy and so satisfying.
This curry freezes well and makes excellent lunch option when re-heated. You can double the recipe and freeze it for later it. I like to store it in individual portion containers for easy defrosting.
Similar to all Indian curries, this curry pairs well with just plain white or brown basmati rice. You can also eat it with bread, roti, naan or paratha. Quinoa, couscous or cauliflower rice also work well. Cut some raw onions and cucumbers to serve as an accompaniments along with lemon wedges.
You can also serve it over simple salad for easy nourishing buddha bowl. If you are looking to cut out grains, it can be eaten as is as well.
Canned Goods : Chickpeas, coconut milk and tomatoes
Fresh Produce : Spinach, onion, ginger and garlic and lime or lemon juice
Herbs and Spices : Cumin seeds, turmeric powder, red pepper powder, garam masala,
Oil ( you can use any cooking oil, I prefer coconut oil or olive oil ) and salt
HOW TO MAKE
Instant Pot directions are listed under recipe card. Here’s how to do it in Dutch Oven on Stove top as well.
- Warm up the oil and sauté cumin seeds, onions, garlic and ginger for 2-3 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, garam masala powder and red pepper powder. Sauté till fragrant ( 2-3 minutes)
- Add rinsed chickpeas and water. Mix well. Let the curry come to boil , reduce the heat, cover and let it cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Open the lid. Add coconut milk, turmeric powder and spinach. Continue to stir and simmer for 5 additional minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Add lime or lemon juice. Serve warm with your favorite accompaniments. Enjoy !
If you like Indian food, do check out some easy to prepare and healthy recipes on the blog. The round up of Easy InstantPot Indian Recipes will give you several options to make for dinner.
And while you’re at it, take a picture and tag it #profusioncurry on Instagram! We love seeing what you come up with. Cheers, friends!!
★ If you make this VEGAN CHICKPEA COCONUT CURRY RECIPE do let us know how you like it by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below.
- 1 Tablespoon coconut or olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can, 14 oz coconut milk
- 2 cans, 15.5 oz each chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups of baby spinach
- 1 can crushed tomatoes, I prefer Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted or use 3 medium red tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup water - add more if needed
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper powder, adjust per spice tolerance
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt - adjust per taste
- Using the sauté function on the Instant Pot, heat 1 Tablespoon of oil. Add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add the chopped onions, sprinkle some salt and cook, stirring frequently, until softened (3-4 minutes).
- Add the minced ginger and garlic, stirring until fragrant, about 1 -2 minutes.
- To the pot, add the crushed tomatoes, garam masala powder, red pepper powder and salt. Stir to combine. Add in rinsed and drained chickpeas and water.
- Turn off the sauté function on the Instant Pot and close the lid. Make sure the venting valve is set to “seal.”
- Cook on manual pressure for 3 minutes. When it is done, wait 5 minute on warm timer. Then release leftover pressure.
- Open the lid. Press the sauté function on the Instant Pot. Add the coconut milk, spinach and turmeric powder to the curry mixture and mix well. Cook for 1-2 extra minutes until the spinach is just wilted..
- Cancel Sauté. Serve immediately with rice and other accompaniments. Enjoy.
Stove Top Instructions :
In a saute pan , warm up the oil and sauté cumin seeds, onions, garlic and ginger for 2- 3 minutes.
Add crushed tomatoes, garam masala powder and red pepper powder. Sauté till fragrant ( 2-3 minutes)
Add rinsed chickpeas and water. Mix well. Let the curry come to boil , reduce the heat, cover and let it cook for 5-8 minutes.
Open the lid. Add coconut milk, turmeric powder and spinach. Continue to stir and simmer for 5 additional minutes.
Turn off the heat. Add lime or lemon juice. Serve warm with your favorite accompaniments. Enjoy !
You may have to adjust the water quantity depending upon how thick you like your curry.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chaokoh Coconut Milk, 13.5 Ounce (Pack of 6)
Muir Glen Canned Tomatoes, Organic Diced Tomates, Fire Roasted, No Sugar Added, 14.5 Ounce Can (Pack of 12)
Swad Spice Garam Masala Powder, 7 Ounce
Instant Pot DUO Plus 60, 6 Qt 9-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 218Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 237mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g
Nutritional values are provided as a courtesy and the values are approximate. The values will change depending on the exact ingredients, measurements and brands used. As always, for specific health issues and dietary requirements please consult medical professional.