A staple in Indian cuisine, pickles are spicy and tangy condiments. This refreshing pickle is prepared using grated carrots, ginger, spices, lemon juice and salt. It is served as relish for flavor and taste enhancer and sometimes as a side dish for lunch and dinner.
- 2 cups of grated carrots
- 1/4 cup grated ginger
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fennel Seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tsp vinegar ( Optional for longer storage)
- Wash and completely dry the carrots and ginger and lemons. Make sure no traces of water exists on them. Using the food processor, coarsely grate the carrots and ginger.
- Dry roast 1 tsp cumin seeds, 2 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp coriander seeds, ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds, 1 tsp fennel seeds on low flame for a minute. Stir often so not to burn the seeds. Cool the mixture completely, and blend to slightly coarse powder. Your pickle spice powder is ready.
- Mix the spice powder ( masala) with the grated carrots, ginger mixture. Also combine 1 tsp turmeric, salt to taste and juice of the lemon. Stir well. You can use the pickle in few hours. Tastes refreshingly fresh immediately.
- ( Optional) add 2 tsp of white vinegar. Vinegar acts as preservative and helps store the pickles for longer time. Serve as a side dish for lunch and dinner. Or topping for toasts , pancakes etc.
- Hope you enjoy making this simple yet wonderful tasty pickle !
Let us know how you like this recipe by leaving a comment and rating it so other readers know it too. And while you’re at it, take a picture and tag it #profusioncurry on Instagram! We love seeing what you come up with. Cheers, friends■