A staple in Indian cuisine, pickles are spicy and tangy condiment. This pickle is prepared from green chilies with oil, spices, lemon juice and salt. it is served as relish for flavor and taste enhancer and sometimes as a side dish for lunch and dinner.
- 12 green chilies ( I have used serrano peppers)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp fennel Seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- Tadka Mixture : 1 tbsp. oil, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp turmeric and pinch of asafoetida ( Optional)
- 2 tsp vinegar ( Optional for longer storage)
- Wash and completely dry the peppers. Make sure no traces of water exists on them. Cut the top of chilies and make bite size pieces. I prefer to use gloves cutting and handling the peppers as the heat in peppers can give burning sensation on the fingers.
- Dry roast 1 tsp cumin seeds, 2 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp coriander seeds, ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds, 1 tsp fennel seeds on low flame for a minute. Stir often so not to burn the seeds.
- Cool the mixture completely, and blend to slightly coarse powder. Your pickle spice powder is ready.
- Mix the spice powder ( masala) with the chilies. Also combine 1 tsp turmeric, salt to taste and juice of the lemon.
5. (Optional )Heat ¼ cup oil, once the oil is hot, add 1 mustard seeds, bit more turmeric and in pinch of asafoetida Allow the oil mixture to cool completely and pour over pickle.
6.Mix well to combine all the ingredients well. Let it marinate for few hours or up to couple days to soak in all the flavors.
7. ( Optional) add 2 tsp of white vinegar. Vinegar acts as preservative and helps store the pickles for longer time.
Serve as a side dish for lunch and dinner. Or topping for toasts , pancakes etc.
■Let us know how you like this recipe by leaving a comment and rating it so other readers know it too. And while you’re at it, take a picture and tag it #profusioncurry on Instagram! We love seeing what you come up with. Cheers, friends■