BLACK EYED PEAS COCONUT CURRY is Vegan, Gluten free and dairy free delectable curry that is ready under 30 minutes. Excellent plant based protein and turmeric and coconut make it Island Golden Curry.
Black eyed peas , also known as ‘chavali’ in Marathi language, are a very tasty variety of beans. This curry is also called “Usal” and very popular dinner dish around Mumbai and other parts of Maharashtra, India.
Chavali chi Usal or Black Eyed Peas Curry is easy to make yet very delightful and pleasing the taste buds. . Adding coconut and curry leaves in the preparation gives it very distinctive taste.
Even though it’s myth that eating black-eyed peas brings you good luck, it’s fact that these beans can benefit your health. Just one cup of black-eyed peas delivers nearly 20 % of the daily iron, calcium and magnesium.
They are also very good source of soluble and insoluble fiber, according to the Mayo Clinic website. Add in healthy fats of coconut and super nutrient properties of turmeric and you have one Golden Treasure Curry.
Traditionally in Indian cooking, a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds are often added while cooking any beans, lentils and legumes. It’s believed that fenugreek seeds help body break down the fiber better and thereby minimizing the digestive issues.
Not sure if it’s scientifically proven but I often add fenugreek seeds while cooking / soaking beans, lentils and legumes.
This BLACK EYED PEAS COCONUT CURRY is my version of making wholesome meal that is flavorful, hearty and healthy. Using a Instant Pot and pot in pot (PIP) , you can make rice or quinoa to go along with it making it a true one pot meal.
It’s one of the dish to make when you are craving comfort food. The creamy texture of the beans balances well with nutty, earthen flavors of coconut and spicy flavors.
Typically it’s made into dry vegetable entrée to serve along with rice, or roti ( Indian flatbread) or bread . You can just eat bowlful or use a salad topper as well. Entire meal can be done under 30 minutes and is very budget friendly.
Ingredients to make BLACK EYED PEAS COCONUT CURRY:
2 cups dry Black Eyed Peas, rinse, and soak in lukewarm water for 3-4 hours
1 tsp of fenugreek seeds – soak it along or just add while cooking
½ cup shredded coconut
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2-3 medium size tomatoes finely chopped
1 tablespoon cooking oil
Chopped cilantro, onion and lemon wedges for garnish
Directions : Stovetop : Pressure Cooker
Recipe Notes:Whenever I am making curry with beans, I prefer to mash some beans with spatula while stirring when they are cooked. The gravy in any curry gets awesome creamy and fullness from the mushed up beans. The gravy will thicken slightly and give a nice consistency and texture.
■Let us know how you like this BLACK EYED PEAS COCONUT CURRY recipe by leaving a comment and rating it so other readers know it too. And while you’re at it, take a picture and tag it #profusioncurry on Instagram! We love seeing what you come up with. Cheers, friends■
Do check out some of our popular wholesome INSTANTPOT dinner recipes. You will love these quick and easy recipes.
Black Eyed Peas Coconut Curry - Instant Pot
- 2 cups dry Black Eyed Peas rinse, and soak in lukewarm water for 3-4 hours
- 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds - soak it along or just add while cooking
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2-3 medium size tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- Chopped cilantro onion and lemon wedges for garnish
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp coriander cumin powder
- 8-10 curry leaves/ alternatively use 2-3 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala (curry powder
- 1/2 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp raw or brown sugar optional
- Himalayan Pink Salt -adjust per taste
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Set Instant Pot on medium on Sauté, when it feels hot, add oil. Lift the main pan and slightly rotate around so oil coats the bottom of the pan evenly. It helps reduce the burn. When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds. Wait for few seconds then add pinch of asafetida, grated ginger and garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add onions and sauté for few minutes till onions are tender. Add in the tomatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes until the tomatoes are softened. Add the coconut and sauté for couple minutes.
- Add all the spices, salt and sugar and mix well. Add pre-soaked black eyed peas and water. Mix well.
- Cancel sauté function. Close the lid of Instant Pot. Press Bean mode set on High Pressure for 8 minutes. Allow NPR .natural pressure release.
- Open the lid. Add lemon juice. Give it a good stir so that all the ingredients are mixed well. Your healthy one pot meal is ready to enjoy!
- Use pressure cooker and start on medium heat. When it feels hot, add oil. When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, wait for them to splutter. Add cumin seeds and pinch of asafetida, grated ginger and garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add onions and sauté for few minutes till onions are tender. Add in the tomatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes until the tomatoes are softened. Add the coconut and sauté for couple minutes.
- Add all the spices salt and sugar and mix well.
- Add pre-soaked black eyed peas and water. Mix well. Add spinach and turmeric, mix well again. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and let pressure built. Count till 2 whistles on medium high heat about 10 minutes. Let the pressure settle down naturally.
- Open the lid. Add lemon juice. Give it a good stir so that all the ingredients are mixed well. Your healthy one pot meal is ready to enjoy! Garnish with chopped cilantro, onion and lemon wedges. Serve with rice, roti’s, bread as a curry or use as salad topping over green salad.
Amazon Affiliate Disclosure : SOME OF THE LINKS IN THIS POST ARE AFFILIATE LINKS AND WE WILL RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION ( at no extra cost to you) IF YOU MAKE A PURCHASE AFTER CLICKING ON OUR LINK. THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING OUR WORK HERE AT PROFUSIONCURRY !