Aloo Tikki is a popular Indian street food and snack made from boiled potatoes that are mashed and mixed with various spices. It is a beloved dish made with savory potato patties, known for its comforting taste and versatility. Aloo Tikki can be enjoyed on its own as a snack, used as a filling in sandwiches or burgers, or even served as a base for more elaborate dishes like chaat.
You will love how easy it is to make restaurant quality Aloo Tikki at home. I am including Air Fryer and Stove top instructions to make this kid friendly potato recipe. This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, soy free and dairy free.
What is Aloo Tikki
In Hindi, aloo is potato and tikki is a word used for pattice, patties or culet. So, the word aloo tikki means savory potato patties or potato cutlets. Once you garnish them with chutney and other toppings, it becomes Aloo Tikki Chat.
My mom was a great cook and she knew us sisters had special cravings for street foods sold in stalls throughout the city. So my mom would make these recipes at home. She would rotate amongst several of popular chat items for Sunday brunch. It used to be a treat to look forward to.
This recipe is my mom’s creative and wholesome version of street food. It’s simple, delicious, satisfying and low calorie all at once.
Exact measurements are given in the recipe card below.
- Boiled and peeled potatoes
- Poha (puffed rice) washed and drained in colander. Use breadcrumbs as an alternative.
- Fresh herbs – Cilantro (Coriander) Chopped
- Ginger root
- Green Chillies
- Red Chili Powder
- Black Salt – adds great flavor. Use regular or kosher salt if you don’t have black salt.
- Chaat Masala or Dry Mango Powder (amchur) or Lemon or lime juice
- Roasted cumin powder
- Rice Flour for crispy exterior
- Oil spray
Expert Tips to Make Best Aloo Tikki
- Don’t use freshly boiled hot potatoes to make Aloo Tikki. Let them cool down completely. Preferably, refrigerate for 3-4 hours before using.
- Use some poha ( Indian flattened rice) , bread crumbs or rice flour to make the cutlets extra crisp.
- You can also add bread in batter to make the outer layer crispy.
- You can use the same recipe for fasting ( vrat ) . To make Vrat Tikki, simply skip rice flour and poha and use Tapioca flour or singada flour for binding. Adjust the salt and spices accordingly.
How to make Indian Aloo Tikki
Boil and mash the potatoes. I am including how to boil potatoes in the Instant Pot in the recipe card notes. Add them to a large mixing bowl.
Soak the poha in water and drain the excess water by putting it in colander. Add all the spices other tikki ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Do not over-knead the dough.
Grease your hands with oil and divide the potato mixture into 6 equal parts. Make each part into a smooth ball shape by kneading it in your palm. Then press gently to make a one-two inch diameter cutlet/ patty.
Heat a cast iron or nonstick skillet on medium heat. Spray some oil. Arrange patties in single layer on the pan. Continue cooking on medium high heat until golden brown at the bottom. Using a spatula, turn them upside down.
Spray some oil on top and continue to cook until bottom layer is golden brown. Turn off the heat and remove them from the pan. Serve warm with desired garnishes.
How to Make Air Fryer Aloo Tikki
Spray the air fryer basket with oil spray. Arrange the patties in single layer on the basket. Spray some oil on the patties. Choose Air Fry / Bake option at 350° Fahrenheit. Choose 12 minutes. Halfway through check and spray one or more mist of oil.
- While making the tikkies, you can add stuffing like paneer, spicy lentil mix, breadcrumbs or nuts to make Stuffed Aloo Tikki.
- Typically Aloo Tikki Chat is served by topping it with beaten yogurt, mint cilantro Chutney, sweet and tangy date tamarind chutney, and dusted with roasted cumin and red chili powder. Best served with a side of Chai – Spiced Indian Tea or Saffron Rose Lemonade.
- If you serve these patties with Chole, it makes another famous chat recipe of Ragda Patties.
- Many times, we use these tikkies as a filling between two hamburger buns. Top it with lettuce, tomato and onions to make Aloo Tikki Burger.
- Similar to Zucchini Fritters, Potato Cheese Poppers and Corn Fritters, Aloo Tikki can be used as a finger food appetizer.
- You can use leftover mashed potatoes from holiday dinners to make this recipe. It is one of the best way to makeover leftovers.
- You can use these to wrapped in paratha (flakey Malaysian paratha work best) to make Potato Kathi Rolls.
- Similar to Masala Boondi Chat, Matar Chaat and Delhi Style Samosa Chaat, this aloo tikki chat is satisfying and wholesome snack or heavy appetizer.
Our Popular Indian Street Food Recipes
Absolutely! Aloo Tikki can be prepared in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to a day. To reheat, simply place them in a preheated oven or on a skillet until they are heated through. This makes it a convenient option for parties or gatherings.
Yes, you can definitely substitute sweet potatoes for regular potatoes in this recipe. The result will be a slightly sweeter and nuttier flavor profile, which can add a unique twist to the traditional Aloo Tikki.
There are a few potential reasons when aloo tikki becomes sticky. Potatoes can be overcooked or dough might have too much moisture. Potatoes get more starchy if you overmix them so avoid that, Also make sure to add sufficient amount of binding agents like rice flour, wet poha or bread crumbs.
Our favorite Indian Potato Recipes
- Aloo Matar – Potato and Peas Curry
- Aloo Palak – Potato and Spinach Curry
- Dum Aloo – Creamy baby potatoes curry
- Instant Pot Roasted Masala Potatoes
- Potato Cheese Poppers
Don’t forget to take pictures when you make our delicious recipes. Tag us with #profusioncurry on Instagram ! We would love to feature your creation.
❤ If you make this ProfusionCurry Recipe, do let us know how you like it by ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Star Rating and commenting below ! ❤
Aloo Tikki Recipe
To make the Tikki / Cutlets
- Soak the poha in water and drain the excess water by putting it in colander.
- Mash the potatoes. Add all the other tikki ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Grease your hands with oil and divide the potato mixture into 6 equal parts.
- Make each part into a smooth ball shape by kneading it in your palm. Then press gently to make a flat patty /cutlet .
Air Fryer Method
- Spray the air fryer basket with oil spray. Arrange the patties in single layer on the basket. Spray some oil on the patties. Air Fry 350° F. Choose 12 minutes. Halfway through check and spray one or more mist of oil.
- Arrange the patties on cookie sheet in a single layer. Spray some oil on the patties. Bake at preheated 350°F for 15 minutes. Flip them upside down halfway for even baking.
To shallow fry on stove top
- Heat a cast iron or nonstick skillet on medium heat. Spray some oil. Arrange patties in single layer on the pan.
- Continue cooking on medium high heat until golden brown at the bottom. Using a spatula, turn them upside down.
- Spray some oil on top and continue to cook until bottom layer is golden brown. Turn off the heat and remove them from the pan.
- Serve warm with desired garnishes.