Learn to make popular Indian Snack mix called Chivda using Rice Krispy cereal. This easy and delicious savory snack mix is great for busy mornings, after school snacks, and even game time! This savory trail mix is the perfect combination of crunchy, sweet, spicy and salty taste!
Poha Chivda is a delicious Indian snack recipe made with Poha (puffed rice flakes) and peanuts tempered in oil with variety of spices. It is best served with a warm cup of Masala Chai. Similar to Pumpkin Seeds Savory Snack Mix, Masala Papad and Spicy Masala Chickpeas , it is a great snack recipe loved by all.
My mother in law, always makes her Chivda using the Rice Krispies. The cereal retains its crisp texture for extended periods of time. It also absorbs all the flavors beautifully. Ever since I tasted her specialty Chivda, I decided to make it on regular basis too.
It is so light, airy and crispy and it is AMAZING ! You just can’t stop eating it. Plus since it has cereal in it, you can eat it morning, noon, evening ( as if we need more reasons to indulge)
Now everyone who had this chivda at my place, is in love with it too. It’s a great balance of East meets West – a perfect fusion!
Detail measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here’s what goes in making this recipe :
Box of store brought Rice Krispies Cereal. You can find it in breakfast isles of most grocery stores. We also use cooking oil to impart the aroma of the spices and lightly roasting peanuts.
Spices : For the oil tempering, use cumin seeds, black mustard seeds, sesame seeds, turmeric powder, red peppers powder.
Optional flavoring : I like to use fresh curry leaves and spicy jalapeno pepper for the classic Indian aroma but you can skip these if not easily available.
Toppings : Raisins and peanuts are added for the sweetness and crunch. You can also use potato chips and coconut flakes to make it trail mix like snack.
Variations / Substitutions
Now, you can totally swap in your favorites if you’d like. I like adding coconut flakes, cashews , baked papad or crushed potato chips. All in all, it is super delicious and a lot of fun to mix and match.
This Chivda mix can be made in a matter of minutes. So easy. Plus you can even make it ahead of time, which I LOVE. Making things ahead of time makes things a breeze.
How To Make
Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add cumin and mustard seeds. Let them splutter for few seconds. Add curry leaves and chopped green chilies. Give it toss and let them sizzle for few seconds.
Add in raisins and peanuts. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. Raisins will swell in size. Add the sesame seeds, turmeric and red pepper powder and mix well.
Reduce the heat to low and add the rice Krispies. Mix well so the oil mixture coats the rice flakes well. Turn the heat off.
Remove the pan from the heat. Let it cool completely before storing it in air tight container. Enjoy !
Another thing I like about treating it like a snack mix is you can create a DIY CHIVADA BAR with all of the toppings, and everyone can make their mix.
Chopped cilantro, onions, tomatoes, boiled potatoes and lemon wedges are best layering options. Unique, unusual and so much fun to make your own. It sure brings the special high spirits to Cricket and Game Day watching!
Make a batch of this spicy/savory snack and keep it on hand, to munch on whenever you are hungry. You can enjoy it as it is, or with a dash of lemon juice and grated veggies like chopped onions and cilantro.
My favorite is topping of slices of finely cut raw mango. The tangy mango kicks this another notch to heavenly.
Since it has a long shelf life , it can be carried as a dry snack when you travel. Far more healthy than store brought snacks.
Perfect Diwali Snack recipe
So here it is, the recipe of a low-cal snack that you can prepare in a jiffy not only for special occasions like Diwali but all year round. If you have the urge to indulge in deep fried snacks just replace them completely with this chivda.
Other Indian Snack Recipes
- AlooTikki – Crispy Spicy Potato Cutlets
- Cheese Potato Poppers
- Corn Fritters
- Jalapeno Poppers
- Kothimbir Vadi – Cilantro Fritters
❤ If you make this ProfusionCurry Recipe, do let us know how you like it by ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Star Rating and commenting below ! ❤
Chivda – Rice Krispies Savory Trail Mix
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 1 Tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon each cumin seeds mustard seeds
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper powder
- 1 spicy green pepper finely chopped
- 10-12 curry leaves – optional
- ½ cup of raisins
- ½ cup peanuts
- Salt per taste
How to Make Chivda on Stove Top
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Once heated, add cumin and mustard seeds. Let them splutter for few seconds.
- Add curry leaves and chopped green chilies if using. Give it toss and let them sizzle for few seconds. Add in raisins and peanuts. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. Raisins will swell in size.
- Add the sesame seeds, turmeric and red pepper powder and mix well. Reduce the heat to low and add the rice Krispies. Mix well so the oil mixture coats the rice flakes well.
- Turn the heat off. Remove the pan from the heat. Let it cool completely before storing it in air tight container. Enjoy !
How to make Chivda in Instant Pot
- Turn the InstantPot on and select Sauté and choose Medium. Once it displays HOT, add oil. Let the oil heat up for a minute.
- Add cumin and mustard seeds. Let them brown for few seconds. Add curry leaves and chopped green chilies if using. Give it toss and let them sizzle for few seconds.
- Add in raisins and peanuts. Stir for 2-3 minutes. Raisins will swell in size. Add the sesame seeds, turmeric and red pepper powder and mix well.
- Add the rice Krispies. Cancel Sauté function. Mix the ingredients well so the oil mixture coats the rice flakes well.
- Remove the inner insert pot from the unit. (so it stops cooking further) Let it cool completely before storing the Chivda in air tight container. Serve and enjoy !