Vegan Corn Chowder is super delicious and comforting. Velvety texture and incredibly tasty, this chowder is hearty and nourishing. Suitable for Glutenfree, Vegan and Soy free dietary preferences.
This Creamy Vegan Corn Chowder makes a frequent appearance on our dinner menu planning. And for all right reasons. It’s superbly creamy without extra calories and actual cream in it. You can enjoy it guilt free without sacrificing the silky smooth texture and lively feel that we often crave from comfort food.
If you check the ingredients, I am using only almond milk and corn starch to thicken the soup. I prefer not to overload the natural ingredients with cream and other fillers. Trust me, you won’t miss the cream and cheese and those extra calories in this delicious chowder. Leave the cream and the calories for a slice of a cake later 😉
We just celebrated Mindful Happy Living Week on our Facebook group. The idea of fulfilling happy living through good eating habits comes from making sensible choices throughout your life. Unless you have some specific allergy issues, elimination and fad diets just don’t work. Feeling deprived isn’t a good state of mind and it’s not sustainable for long term either.
If you look around our blog, we have lots of whole food plant based food recipes. We love to mix and match flavors and textures. If you make flavorful food and eat mindfully, you feel full, satisfied and happy inside out. This creamy potato corn chowder recipe is one such recipe.
This seriously delicious Creamy Vegan Corn Chowder can be made in Instant Pot, pressure cooker or on the stove top. Takes about 30 minutes from start to finish to get a big warm bowl of heavenly comfort to your table. Very few ingredients and physical efforts are involved. Most of the ingredients are pantry and refrigerator staples.
Which Potatoes Are Best for Making Chowder ?
I used red baby potatoes in this recipe. They hold the texture better without becoming too mushy or stewy. I know, I just made up that word 🙂 Plus no need to peel them either. Just rinse them really well so all the soil and dirt comes off. You can use any variety of potatoes you have in hand. Try to avoid using baking potatoes. You don’t want it to become mashed potato soup 🙂
Choosing Organic Ingredients:
This recipe uses very few basic ingredients. However, onions, celery, carrots, potatoes are all on the dirty dozen list of vegetables that contain high levels of pesticides. So as far as possible, I try to buy these veggies only organic. I have read that most corn produced in US is genetically modified . So I always buy organic , non-GMO corn. The price difference between organic and non- organic is very minimal too.
I am using almond milk to thicken the soup and add the creamy feel. You can substitute any dairy free milk of your choice if you like. Also rice flour can be substituted for corn starch. Such a beauty of versatile, easily adaptable recipe.
This Creamy Vegan Potato Corn Chowder is delicately flavored. My family loves baked potatoes soo much. This soup mingles the superb taste of baked potato, sweet corn and holy trinity of soups – onion, celery and carrots. Chives and potatoes are inseparable so sprinkle of chives , black pepper and onion salt brings the delicious flavors. Instant Pot does a superb job of infusing herbs and cooking everything smoothly.
Gather around the table. Grab yourself a generously portioned BIG bowl of this creamy vegan potato corn chowder soup. And let the good times roll !!!!
WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS OF VEGAN CORN CHOWDER?
1 tablespoon oil
3 medium red potatoes diced
3 cloves garlic – Minced
2 cups of sweet corn ( fresh or frozen)
1 small onion diced
1 cup celery diced
1 cup carrots diced
1/4 cup corn starch or rice flour
2 cups plain almond milk
1/2 Teaspoon dried Thyme
2 cups water or low sodium vegetable broth
1 teaspoon onion salt
1/4 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
1/4 teaspoon black pepper – fresh ground is better
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT CORN CHOWDER ?
Put Instant Pot on SAUTE mode and add oil. After a minute, add diced onions, celery and carrots and cook for couple minutes until soft. Add water, diced potatoes and corn. Add the onion salt and black pepper. Cancel Sauté.
Close the lid, vent Sealed and press MANUAL and set to 10 minutes. When done, wait for 5 minutes on keep warm timer. Then carefully release the leftover pressure by moving the valve to vent. Open the lid when steam is gone and floating valve is down.
Whisk together the cornstarch and almond milk in a cup to use as a thickener. Add it to the soup mix and stir well. Put The Instant Pot back on SAUTE mode and let the soup come back to simmer one more time. Cancel SAUTE mode.
Using the immersion blender, blend the soup a few times. Don’t make a puree. Few swirls of blending to thicken the soup further using the mushiness of cooked potatoes and corn. Alternatively, you can use a spatula or masher and mash the chowder. Stir well.
Pour a ladle full in each serving bowl. Sprinkle some fresh cracked black pepper and cut chives on top. Serve warm. Enjoy !!
Our blog features several such delicious and healthy , easy to prepare dinner ideas. We like to spice things up at dinner table by bringing in different cuisines and flavors from around the world. Be sure to check these amazing variety of recipes.
- Moroccan Lentil Stew
- Vegan Mushroom Risotto
- InstantPot Indian Potato Eggplant Curry
- Easy Rajma Masala
- Hibachi Fried Rice
- Ayurvedic healing Moong Dal Khichdi
- Creamy Gnocchi Soup
- Penne Rosa
- Instant Pot Dal Makhani
★ If you make this VEGAN CORN CHOWDER RECIPE do let us know how you like it by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 medium red potatoes diced
- 2 cups of sweet corn, fresh or frozen
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 1/4 cup corn starch or rice flour
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 cups water or low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cloves Garlic - minced
- 1 tsp onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper fresh ground is better.
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. dried Thyme
Instant Pot Instructions :
- Put Instant Pot on SAUTE mode and add oil. After a minute, add diced onions, garlic, celery and carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add water, diced potatoes, and corn. Add the smoked paprika, dried thyme, onion salt and black pepper. Cancel Sauté.
- Close lid, vent Sealed and press MANUAL and set to 10 minutes. When done, wait for 5 minutes on keep warm timer. Then carefully release the leftover pressure by moving the valve to vent. Open the lid when steam is gone.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and almond milk in a cup to use as a thickener. Add to soup mix and stir well. Put the Instant Pot back on SAUTE mode and let the soup come to simmer one more time. Cancel SAUTE.
- Using the immersion blender, blend the soup a few times. Don't make a puree. Few swirls of blending to thicken the soup further using the mushinees of cooked potatoes and corn. Alternatively, you can use a spatula or masher and mash the chowder. Stir well.
- Pour a ladle full in each serving bowl. Sprinkle some fresh cracked black pepper and cut chives on top. Serve warm. Enjoy !!
Instructions - Stove Top
- If you do not have an Instant Pot, make this recipe on the stove top instead. Just follow the instructions as above, but use a large stockpot or Dutch oven. Simmer on medium low stirring in frequently until the potatoes are tender soft when you poke them with a fork. Keep an eye out on the liquid of the pan since it can burn if unattended. Serve warm. Enjoy your delicious creation!!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Pacific Foods Organic Vegetable Broth, Low Sodium,32 Oz,2 Pack
- Trader Joe's Smoked Paprika
- Cuisinart CSB-75BC Smart Stick 200 Watt 2 Speed Hand Blender, Brushed Chrome
- Instant Pot DUO Plus 60, 6 Qt 9-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 305Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 380mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 5gSugar: 8gProtein: 6g
Nutritional values are provided as a courtesy and the values are approximate. The values will change depending on the exact ingredients, measurements and brands used. As always, for specific health issues and dietary requirements please consult medical professional.