Easy InstantPot Stuffed Shells is the best comfort dinner recipe ! It’s a one pot magic of jumbo pasta shells, tangy tomato sauce, healthy vegetable filling and cheesy goodness. Italian comfort food at it’s finest !! Healthy semi-home made vegetarian recipe.
You will be surprised to see this dish done without much mess and very few dishes to clean. Plus it gets ready in no time. Truly a one pot wonder meal ! Simply stuff the shells with your favorite ingredients and let the magic happen. No boiling, pre-cooking or baking needed.
THE RECIPE CARD IS LOCATED TOWARDS THE END. Amazon affiliate link disclosure is below as well. Before scrolling to the recipe card, do check the HELPFUL RECIPE TIPS in the post!
Have you tried making Instant Pot Stuffed Shells? If you haven’t I highly recommend doing so. Jumbo shells, tangy tomato sauce, creamy cheese and flavorful veggies complement each other and create a delicious dinner! And you can make any filling to stuff the shells. Lentils, veggies, meat and leftovers all work just fine.
Why should I buy InstantPot?
If you are yet to join the Electric Pressure Cooker bandwagon, wait no further. I use the Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker. It can be used as a Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer in just one gadget.
I simply love my InstantPot. No need to buy several kitchen appliances. I love tidy, minimalist and clean kitchen and InstantPot helps me tremendously. As a busy family constantly on the go, having a timer to make food is also a great plus. So while you are not actively watching it , food gets ready and you come back home to a warm happy meal.
By the way, if you are looking for more pressure cooker recipes, check these ones out. You will love these reader’s favorite, fusion, easy and healthy dinner recipes from our kitchen.
What Are Advantages of Making Pasta in Smart Pressure Cooker or InstantPot?
Making pasta in Instantpot or electric pressure cooker is the easiest thing. It makes any pasta dish practically dump and go recipe meaning, you dump all the ingredients in the pressure cooker. Set the timing and walk away. Hot, yummy dinner gets done in very little time and saves you lot of time.
- No need to wait for water to boil
- No constant stirring of pasta in hot water
- No draining the hot water and cooked pasta in colander
- YES to time saving, less mess and dishes to clean and doing your own things while dinner is cooked !!
The whole family will be happy with One Pot Pasta Dinner. It is so, so easy to make. After all, who doesn’t love a good cheesy, saucy, filling pasta dish?
Great for meal-prep – Vegetarian Stuffed Pasta can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days! Leftovers make great school lunches in warm thermos. My kids love these lunches all year round.
What’s so fabulous about this recipe? Everything !! And I mean it. This InstantPot Vegetarian Stuffed Shells recipe is elegant enough to serve at a dinner party or just for weeknight supper. They are easy, loaded with flavors and textures and nutritional powerhouse.
And guess what?? They look and feel fancy. A restaurant style meal at a fraction of cost and at comfort of your own home.
Stuffed Pasta Recipes are a favorite in my home! We love to get creative with stuffing and sauces. Likewise, you can try and mix and match to your taste. And as a pro mommy tip, it’s a great way to sneak some veggies into your kids meals if they are picky eaters.
I often have so many odds and end of veggies in the fridge so I also make mix vegetables stuffing. Zucchini, mushrooms, corn and bell peppers work very well ! You could easily use any vegetable in this dish and it would taste great!
You can also change the sauce and create very different tasty meal. White sauce, pesto, Bolognese sauce or marsala wine sauce, all of them are worth experimenting.
What Are The Ingredients Used In Stuffed Pasta Shells?
To make things incredibly easier, I love semi home made dinners. For this recipe, I used frozen chopped spinach. Store brought marinara sauce saves lot of time.
I am layering the InstantPot with sliced mushrooms to bring out meaty texture. Ricotta cheese and Italian seasoning mix round up the flavors. Jumbo shells are awesome to make stuffed dishes.
How to Make Vegetarian Stuffed Shells in InstantPot?
We begin by creating a filling to stuff the shells. Mix the Spinach, Ricotta and mozzarella cheese, garlic, pepper and Italian seasoning together.
Spoon the spinach-cheese mixture into each pasta shell. Alternatively, line a large tall glass bowl with zip lock bag.
Gently pour the spinach/cheese mixture into the bowl lined with plastic zippered bag. Close the zip and cut the tip off of one corner of the bag for easy squeezing into the shells. Squeeze the mixture into each shell.
Once all the shells are stuffed, the cooking process begins. In Instantpot, you sauté the mushrooms for extra layer and prevent burns at the base. Sautéed mushrooms add extra meaty texture to the dish as well. We add extra water for cooking. Layer the stuffed shells in InstantPot. Add marinara sauce on top. I highly recommend you do NOT stir the sauce.
Close the lid. Choose cooking time and press start. Now grab your favorite drink or a glass of fine Italian wine and play some music ( you need to set a perfect tone to enjoy this delicious meal)
Once InstantPot beeps when its done cooking, wait for 5 minutes and then do a quick pressure release. You can further melt some cheese on top. And there you have your gooey, delicious comfort meal ready without pile of dishes and hours of cooking !! Buon appetite my friends !!
Don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest and like our FACEBOOK page. We love creating delicious plant based recipes from around the world. DO JOIN US !!
★ If you make this Easy InstantPot Stuffed Shells recipe, do let us know how you like it by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. We would love to hear your feedback !! Use the PIN button to pin the recipe.
- 8 oz box jumbo pasta shells, uncooked
- 1- 24 oz jar marinara sauce
- 1-16 oz frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed until dry
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-16 oz container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp. Italian Seasoning
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 cups water
- 1- 8 oz pack sliced mushrooms rinse clean and drain
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- In a medium bowl, mix together spinach, ricotta and mozzarella, garlic, Italian seasoning and salt & pepper.
- Spoon the spinach-cheese mixture into each pasta shell. Alternatively, line a large tall glass bowl with zip lock bag. Gently pour the spinach/cheese mixture into the bowl lined with plastic zippered bag, zip close, and cut the tip off of one corner for easy squeezing into the shells. Squeeze the mixture into each shell.
- Press the SAUTE button on your Instant Pot and add oil. Wait few seconds then add sliced mushrooms and stir for few minutes till mushrooos start to brown and relaease water. Cancel Saute.
- Add water to the pot. Make sure to deglaze the bottom of pot by scrapping the base with wooden spatula to ensure nothing is stuck at the bottom.
- Layer the stuffed shells by keeping them upright. If you have more than one layer, arrange on top of each other . Ensure that they stay upright.
- Pour the jar of marinara sauce over the stuffed shells. Do NOT Stir.
- Lock the lid on the Instant Pot.
- Press MANUAL and adjust the time to 6 minutes and close the steam valve.
- Once IP is done cooking, wait for 5 minutes . Then release the steam valve to venting to release the steam and pressure. Open the lid carefully
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over top and place the lid back on for 1-2 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Scoop out shell carefully. Don't forget to serve the mushrooms at the bottom. Serve warm with optional cracked pepper, chili flakes and parmesan cheese sprinkle on top. Enjoy!
** To make Gluten free Stuffed Pasta : Please use Gluten free Jumbo Pasta Shells instead of regular shells. Adjust cooking time accroding to package directions.
** To Make Vegan Stuffed Pasta Shells : Use vegan and diary free cheese instead of regular cheese. Vegan cheese does not melt so texure will be different.
*** To choose cooking time in Instantpot Pasta Cooking : Read the cooking time listed on the package. Choose half that time . SO if the package suggests 12 minutes choose 6 minute pressure cooking.
**** This recipe makes 8-10 generous servings. Also depending on the size of the Instantpot, you may want to make the recipe in half. Also for proper cooking, do not layer more than 2 levels of the shells at once. You can freeze stuffed uncooked shells and cook in batches if needed.
***** We have tested this recipe several times without getting burnt signals on our InstantPot. Newer models are sensitive to burn messages. Usually there is piece of food is stuck at the bottom . SO please make sure to degalze the pot throughly to avoid burn messages
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Simply Organic Italian Seasoning Certified Organic, 0.95-Ounce Container
Barilla Jumbo Shells Pasta, 12 oz
Muir Glen Organic Cabernet Marinara, 25.5 oz
Real Italian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil. First Cold press. Imported from Italy. Awards Winner 16 Fl Oz Bottle
Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
Certified International Tuscan View Soup/Pasta Bowl, 9.5-Inch, Set of 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 310 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 36mg Sodium: 749mg Carbohydrates: 30g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 6g Protein: 18g