The best pasta you will ever make! Creamy, rich and bursting with umami! I am so excited to share this quick and easy Creamy Garlic Mushroom Pasta recipe.
This is a fell good happy homestyle meal. Perfect comfort food dinner! An earthy recipe that has scrumptious creamy sauce that perfectly coats the pasta. Simple ingredients big flavors meal similar to Penne Rosa, Pesto Pasta Primavera and Spaghetti Lentil Bolognese.
Easy Weeknight Pasta
The recipe is easy and straightforward, but read along for some cooking tips to make it absolutely perfect. I am making it Vegan and Gluten free but there are easy alternatives to change it if needed.
We love this comforting pasta so much that it is one of our favorite weeknight dinner recipe. Indulgent yet easy. It comes together quickly – 20 minutes pasta recipe.
All you need is simple ingredients and quick easy steps. And you are rewarded with hearty meatless meal! Pure bliss
Creamy Mushroom Pasta is one of those meals that is easy enough for a weeknight dinner, but fancy enough to serve to company. The sauce is made from scratch, resulting in a truly restaurant-quality experience.
Our Favorite Mushroom Recipes
I love cooking with mushrooms. They add nice umami flavors and meaty textures that makes food very satisfying. Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup and Creamy Mushroom Soup are our family favorites. I love making Stuffed Mushrooms and Savory Mushroom Puffs in air fryer for gourmet appetizer. Vegan Grilled Portobello Mushrooms and Vegan Mushroom Risotto make excellent comfort food dinners.
Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card towards the end. I used gluten free penne to make this recipe. You can however use any type of pasta you have in pantry. I prefer Cremini Mushrooms but white button mushrooms also work.
For the sauce and flavoring, I am using butter ( use plant based to make it vegan) minced garlic, store bought Italian Seasoning, Dijon mustard, white wine and ground nutmeg. A teaspoon of rice flour mixed in with water to make slurry helps thicken the sauce.
For the creamy sauce, you can use evaporated milk, whipping cream or sour cream. I prefer coconut cream since it adds a great deal of richness. Optional garnishes for the pasta are red pepper flakes, fresh herbs and parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast.
I love pairing this creamy pasta with my creamy tomato bisque for a café style tasty meal.
Since this is rich and earthy dish, you can pair it with a glass of full bodied red wine like Malbec or Cabernet Sauvignon for a true gourmet dining.
Creamy Mushroom Pasta stays well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat thoroughly in microwave before eating. You may have to add bit of liquid – water, broth or milk since sauce thickens a lot.
Pro Tips and Recipe Notes
This pasta recipe is vegan and gluten free and easy to switch to your dietary preferences.
If you want the pasta to be more saucy, I suggest adding another 1/4 cup of cream or so.
Also I like cooking mushrooms in the sauce. They soak up the sauce adding extra richness to every bite.
I absolutely love adding a pinch of ground nutmeg to all my creamy dishes like Creamed Spinach. Nutmeg adds an extra element to flavor depth. All you need is 1/8 teaspoon but you will love the lingering flavor.. do try it.
Saving the pasta water. Since sauce thickens quickly, adding 1/4 cup carb rich water helps to keep it moist.
How to Make it Light and Low Fat
Most recipes for creamy pasta include use of heavy whipping cream which is very high in calories. You can reduce the fat and calorie count by using evaporated milk. You get the same thick creamy taste and texture sans the empty calories.
You can also use lite or fat free sour cream to make it lighter meal. If you want to avoid wine, add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice instead.
Don’t forget fresh herbs. This meal is rich, and the sauce is thick, so using fresh herbs helps add vibrancy and freshness to the dish. We love thyme or basil, but parsley also works.
Making this creamy vegetarian mushroom pasta is easy. You start by sautéing the mushrooms with olive oil, butter and garlic.
Once the mushrooms release water and get darker, add white wine, seasoning, flour, Dijon mustard and cream to the same pan.
Let the sauce come to boil once. Stir few times so it does not stick at the base. Season with salt and pepper.
Finish off by tossing the delicious sauce with your pasta of choice. Voila… dreamy creamy dinner is ready!
The creamy mushroom – wine sauce is so tasty, you can use it as a topping for multiple dishes.
How To Make Instant Pot Creamy Mushroom Pasta
I love cooking pasta dishes in Instant Pot since it saves lot of active cooking time and efforts in boiling water, draining it and washing extra dishes.
You can also make this Creamy Mushroom Pasta in Instant Pot as one pot meal. I am including instructions in the recipe card below.
Easy Italian Dinner Recipes
- Creamy Italian Gnocchi Soup
- Healthy Minestrone Soup
- Summer Pasta Salad
- Restaurant Style Risotto
- Chickpea Orzo Soup
- Vegan Sheet Pan Gnocchi and Vegetables
Don’t forget to take pictures when you make our delicious recipes. Tag us with #profusioncurry on Instagram ! We would love to feature your creation.
Join us on Pinterest and FACEBOOK . You will love all our delicious, wholesome, plant based recipes from around the world.
★ If you make Instant Pot CREAMY MUSHROOM PASTA RECIPE do let us know how you like it by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below.
Instant Pot Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- 1 8oz. uncooked pasta I used gluten free penne
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 7 ounces mushrooms I used cremini mushrooms sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning Mix
- 1 teaspoon rice flour
- ½ teaspoon Dejon Mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup coconut cream or evaporated milk, whipping cream or sour cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Fresh thyme or basil chopped
- Red chili flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, boil salted pot of water for the pasta and cook it al dente according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, add the oil and butter to a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and garlic to the pan and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until the mushrooms release most of their water and it's cooked off.
- Add the wine, Italian seasoning, rice flour, and Dijon mustard to the pan. Stir until it becomes a smooth paste. Stir in the cream and nutmeg. Reduce the heat and cook for a few more minutes until the sauce has thickened up a bit. Season sauce with salt & pepper as needed.
- Drain the pasta and toss it with the sauce. Garnish with fresh chopped herbs, crushed red chili flakes and black pepper and nutritional yeast (or parmesan if using) and serve. Bon Appetite!
INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS
- Start the Instant Pot on SAUTE mode and add butter and oil. Once oil is heated, add mushrooms and garlic. Sprinkle pinch of salt and let them cook until mushrooms start to release the water. (3-5 minutes)
- Once mushrooms have browned, cancel SAUTE. Remove cooked mushrooms and set them aside.
- Add water and deglaze the pot by scrapping the bits stuck at the bottom. Make sure nothing is stuck at the base. Add pasta, enough
water to cover the pasta (about 2 cups..do NOT push the pasta down under water)
- Add the wine, Italian seasoning, rice flour, and Dijon mustard to the pan. Stir until it all mixes well. Close the lid. Valve at SEALING.
- Check the cooking time mentioned on the pasta box. Now press MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK and choose half of cooking time suggested on the box. (usually 4-5 minutes)
- Once Instantpot finishes cooking and goes to KEEP WARM timer, wait for 7 minutes and then release the leftover pressure by moving the valve from SEALING to VENTING. After the silver pin drops, open the lid.
- Stir in sautéed mushrooms, cream and nutmeg. Add salt and pepper. Gently mix everything well together. Garnish with fresh chopped herbs, crushed red chili flakes and black pepper and nutritional yeast (or parmesan if using) and serve. Bon Appetite