Creamy Gnocchi Soup is a delicious and easy meal full of fresh flavors! This soup is perfect for a comforting dinner on busy weeknights. This Vegetable Creamy Gnocchi Soup is loaded with soft pillowy gnocchi, colorful vegetables and a velvety creamy broth. This hearty 20 minute dinner soup is made in just one pot.
This recipe makes best soup similar to Olive Garden Gnocchi Soup. We are using quality ingredients and every serving has chockful of gnocchi as compare to barely minimal at the restaurants. You are gonna love it.
Plus it is so affordable and budget friendly recipe. You can also customize it easily to your likings and preferences. This recipe makes Easy Gnocchi soup with vegan option. It is also made without using butter, flour and heavy cream.
This easy-to-make vegetarian soup is just the thing for a cold, wet day. Try making it the next time you’re craving something hot and hearty, but don’t have a lot of time for cooking.
Along with potato gnocchi, this Italian Soup has lots of colorful veggies like carrots, celery, and spinach. You can always customize the vegetables with your favorites or whatever you have in the refrigerator.
Incredible creamy and rich broth makes this soup a class apart from other soup recipes. It is flavored with the perfect amount of seasonings. And I am sharing a pro tip to make it lower calorie too.
This one pot soup is easy to make in electric pressure cooker like Instant Pot or in the Dutch oven on the stove top. This is the most delicious kind of comfort food and it hardly takes 20 minutes to make and most of the cooking is hands off. One pot cooking means clean up is a breeze too.
Recipe card lists exact measurements. Here I am providing the general information and suggested alternatives for the ingredients.
Potato Gnocchi : I often buy and stock up on Italian Gnocchi packets during grocery haul. They have a long shelf life and come in handy for last minute gourmet meals. You can also use tortellini or ravioli to make this soup.
Vegetables: I used the soup trinity of diced / chopped onions, carrots and celery. Adding fresh spinach amps up the freshness and health quotient. You can use pre chopped Mirepoix ( I love trader Joe’s tub ) to save time.
Seasonings: I simply love Trader Joe’s 21 seasoning salute. This all purpose seasoning blend combines several different herbs and adds unbelievable flavor to any recipe.
Vegetable Broth: Cooking the gnocchi in the low sodium vegetable broth adds extra depth of flavors. If you prefer, use water instead.
Half and half : To make the velvety creamy soup, I am using half & half. That way, you cut the calories in half compared to using full fat heavy cream. You won’t miss those extra calories…..trust me..
Seasoning: you can use Better than bullion seasoning mix or any other all purpose seasoning mix lake Larry’s. Store bought Italian Seasoning mix also works well.
Make it vegan : Ripple and Natural Bliss are my favorite brands of Half and half which are plant based, dairy free and vegan. Depending upon your dietary preferences, you can choose regular milk based cream too. Using coconut cream also works beautifully.
Additional Vegetables : Broccoli, zucchini and peas are great options to add.
For this recipe, I am using dry packed gnocchi. They are pretty reasonably priced and widely available.
If using frozen gnocchi, do NOT thaw them first. Simply add your frozen gnocchi directly to the soup. If you thaw them, they will disintegrate and turn into soggy mashed potatoes.
How to Make?
This soup is easy to make in electric pressure cooker like Instant Pot or in the Dutch oven on the stove top. Here’s how :
- First gather all ingredients and chop your veggies.
- Then sauté those veggies in olive oil for couple minutes. Add garlic, seasoning and herbs for wonderful wafting aroma.
- Add gnocchi and vegetable broth. Let the soup simmer for about 10 minutes ( stovetop) until gnocchi cooks and becomes soft. If using InstantPot, pressure cook on high for 1 minutes.
- Finally add chopped spinach and half and half and mix well. You want to simmer the soup just enough so the spinach wilts some and cream is well incorporated.
- Adjust the seasoning . Ladle the soup into serving bowl. Garnish with black pepper. Serve along the side of crusty baguette or green salad. Bon Appetit!
Transfer leftover soup to an airtight glass containers. Cover and keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
This soup thickens substantially as it cools down. Before re-heating, add more broth, milk or water to get that right soupy consistency.
I love packing this potato gnocchi soup for my kids lunch boxes. During cold frosty winters, it’s so fulfilling to see their happy faces when they get this hearty comforting soup in their warm thermos ! Pure bliss I tell you..
This healthy and filling Soup is a great addition to your dinner, either as a side, or as a meal in itself. A crusty bread topped with Italian Bruschetta, Vegan Olive Tapenade or Tomato Chutney goes well with gnocchi soup.
Our Favorite One Pot Meal Recipes
- Minestrone Soup – Instant Pot Wholesome meal
- Lentil Quinoa Soup – Vegan and Gluten free
- Vegetable Barley Soup – Easy and delicious
- Instant Pot 15 Bean Soup – So good !
- White bean and spinach soup – ultimate comfort food.
More Gnocchi Recipes
I often buy a packet or two of gnocchi while grocery shopping. They are inexpensive and have good shelf life. It comes in handy to make quick last minute meals. Besides this soup, Vegan Sheet Pan Gnocchi Dinner as well as Cauliflower Gnocchi Sheet Pan Dinner are are our family favorites. We also love golden crispy Pan Fried Gnocchi.
Gnocchi is a delicious Italian pasta variety. It is small dumpling like pasta made with mashed potato and semolina flour. You often serve gnocchi with a sauce to make a delicious dinner. As in this soup, they pair well in rich creamy broth as well. Their ridges hold sauce/broth so well. These melt-in-your-mouth, light, fluffy gnocchi make excellent pasta alternatives. They are easy to cook and keep their shape well after cooking.
Pre-packaged gnocchi come in three different forms. Here’s where to find them in typical grocery store.
The fresh gnocchi is in the refrigerated section along with other fresh pasta variety. The frozen Gnocchi are in the freezer section along with ravioli and other stuffed pasta. Dry packed gnocchi packets are stocked on the shelve with other pastas.
No. Potato gnocchi hold their shape very well while cooking. So they won’t fall apart in the soup.
❤ If you make this ProfusionCurry Recipe, do let us know how you like it by ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Star Rating and commenting below ! ❤
Gnocchi Soup Recipe
- 16 oz. Dry Potato Gnocchi
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 cups fresh Spinach chopped
- 1 cup Carrots chopped into small pieces
- ½ cup Celery finely diced
- 3 Garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon 21 Seasoning Salute or Italian seasoning mix
- 2-3 strings Fresh Thyme or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 cup Half and half see notes for vegan option
How to Make Creamy Gnocchi Soup Recipe in Instant Pot
- Press the saute button on the Instant Pot. Once it displays hot, add oil. Then add the garlic, bay leaf and onions, celery and carrots. Sprinkle some salt and saute for 2 minutes until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add a Tablespoon of water and de-glaze the pot making sure there are no burnt bits stuck at the bottom.
- Now add potato gnocchi, black pepper and 21 seasoning salute , vegetable broth, and thyme. DO NOT stir but press slightly so that gnocchi is covered with broth.Close the lid. Cancel SAUTE mode and Press the MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK button and select high pressure for 1 minute with the pressure valve in the sealing position.
- Once cooking time is done, a quick release of the pressure by moving the valve from SEALING to VENTING. Once the silver pin drops, open the pot. Take out the bay leaf and thyme.
- Press the SAUTE button again. Add chopped spinach and half and half. Stir and let the soup simmer for 2 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning. You can add extra stock if you want to thin out the soup further. Ladle the soup into serving bowls. Serve warm.
How to Make Gnocchi Soup Recipe on the stove
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Then add the garlic, bay leaf and onions, celery and carrots. Sprinkle some salt and saute for about 5 minutes until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the broth and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the gnocchi. Cook until the gnocchi are tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add half and half and chopped spinach. Stir and let the soup simmer for 5 more minutes. Turn off the heat. Taste and adjust the seasoning. You can add extra stock if you want to thin out the soup further.
- Remove and discard the thyme and bay leaf. Ladle the soup into serving bowls. Serve warm.