Creamy Tomato Soup is the ultimate quick and easy weeknight dinner. Made with simple, fresh ingredients, this vegan soup recipe is sure to become a family favorite.
Handful of ingredients and an electric pressure cooker like Instantpot is all you need to make this creamy and Vegan Tomato Bisque.
Pair it with nice toasty grilled cheese sandwich and a glass of vino for that ultimate gourmet dinner right at the comfort of the home instead of Panera Bread or Corner Bakery.
THE RECIPE CARD IS LOCATED TOWARDS THE END. Amazon affiliate link disclosure is below as well. Please scroll along to read the details.
During fall to winter to early spring, for the most part, we rely on hearty and filling soups like Healthy Black Bean Soup or White Beans and Spinach Soup, but some days you need refreshing and lighter meal that brightens the mood.
This creamy plant based and dairy free tomato soup offers that delightfully.
Lycopene rich tomatoes and fiber rich veggies make this soup highly nutritious and full of antioxidants.
WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS OF CREAMY TOMATO SOUP
This recipe highlights so many of my favorite ingredients – sweet tomatoes. Fresh ones are better but canned ones will do too. Same for basil. Use fresh or dry.
It also has the mirepoix ( soup trinity of onions, carrots and celery) Add in some fresh minced garlic.. delish !
Then for the velvety creamy texture, we add coconut milk. Plant based gourmet heaven.
To round up the taste you add some raw sugar especially if the tomatoes are too sour / tart. Some salt and pepper. If you like it spicy, a dash of cayenne pepper will do the kick trick.
You can use either use water or low sodium vegetable broth to cook the vegetables.
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY TOMATO BISQUE IN INSTANTPOT
InstantPot makes it super easy to make this recipe. And it tastes like it has been simmering for much longer time.
You can make it by practically just dumping everything in InstantPot. And let it cook nicely.
Then puree the mixture using immersion blender.
Briefly put the soup back on sauté and add coconut milk. This helps coconut milk blending in well without separating.
One quick simmer and your bisque/ soup is ready to be devoured.
In an Italian Cooking class, I learned that when you cook tomatoes in olive oil for some time, it creates more flavorful rich soup or sauce. When you caramelizes the onions and tomatoes with pinch of salt, it brings out true umami flavors in both of them.
So if possible, sauté the ingredients for about 5 minutes before pressure cooking them.
And always add cream after the pressure cooking. So it doesn’t separate. It also neutralizes the acidity of the Tomato Bisque.
IS IT SOUP OR BISQUE OR CHOWDER ?
I am calling it creamy tomato soup. but these dishes are so close to each other. You can make it based on your texture preference. Chowders are typically thicker soups while Bisques are smooth and puréed.
The texture of this soup is kind of in between bisque and chowder.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH VEGAN TOMATO BISQUE
Typically we like this bisque with nice grilled cheese sandwich. I use Daiya Cheese to make my grilled cheese.
★ If you make this Instantpot Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe, do let us know how you like it by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. We would love to hear your feedback.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1/2 cup celery sliced
- 1 cup carrots peeled and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- 6 ripe tomatoes , quartered
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1.5 cup reduced-sodium broth or water
- 1 teaspoon All purpose seasoning or Low Sodium Better Than Bullion Vegetable Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar optional
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper or to taste
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode and heat oil. Add onion, celery, garlic, carrots, tomatoes, basil and salt. Cook for few minute until fragrant.
- Add broth or water and seasoning. Mix well. Close the Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing.
- Set the Instant Pot to Manual/Pressure Cook for 8 minutes. When InstantPot beeps after it's done cooking, wait for 5 minutes on keep warm timer and then release leftover pressure.
- Open the Instant Pot, and carefully puree the soup using an immersion blender.
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté mode. Stir in coconut milk and freshly ground black pepper. Saute for few minutes until everything simmers for couple times.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Add some crusty croutons on top. Sprinkle some cheese, pepper flakes or fresh basil on top. Bon Appetit.
If you are using Canned tomatoes, use 1 28 oz can of peeled tomatoes. I prefer San Marzano Italian brand.
If you wind up with leftovers, they reheat very well in the microwave or stovetop. So, make a big batch for dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow !
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Better Than Bouillon Organic Vegetable Base 16 Oz, Reduced Sodium (Original Version)
- San Marzano DOP Authentic Whole Peeled Plum Tomatoes - 28 oz cans (Pack of 6) …
- Trader Joe's Rainbow Peppercorns , a Mixture of Brazilian Pink,indian Green,malaysian White and Indian Black Tellicherry Peppercorns
- Thai Kitchen Organic Coconut Milk, 13.66 fl oz (Pack of 6, Unsweetened Dairy Free Milk)
- Cuisinart CSB-75BC Smart Stick 200 Watt 2 Speed Hand Blender, Brushed Chrome
- Instant Pot DUO Plus 60, 6 Qt 9-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 175Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 2mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 4g