Dal Makhani is Indian comfort food loved by all. It’s a flavorful mixture of lentils and herbs simmered together that results into ultra delicious curry. This Instant Pot Dal Makhani recipe shows how easy and convenient it is to make this classic Indian Curry in electric pressure cooker.
Dal Makhani can be spelled as Daal Makhani or Dahl Makhani. You will find this curry sold as Madras Lentils in ready to serve boxes in the grocery stores. It often is served in Indian Buffet Restaurants also.
This Instant Pot Dal Makhani Recipe is
- Vegan, Gluten -free, soy free and dairy free
- Full of plant Protein, fiber and nutrients
- Easy to make at home
- Budget friendly and cost effective
This earthy rustic Restaurant Style Dal Makhani is very easy to make at home. You will notice substantial cost savings compare to ordering it from restaurants or buying it in ready made pouches. Most ingredients are easy to find in Indian grocery stores or on Amazon.
This delicious North Indian Curry is popular in Punjab, Delhi and surrounding areas. It is also served by roadside street food vendors called “Dhaba”.
Dal Makhani is made with combination of whole black urad dal (Black Gram Matpe Beans) and red kidney beans. A tangy tomato based Makhani Sauce make this recipe very delectable. Simple home-made food at it’s best !
In literally translation, Daal Makhani means lentils /beans with cream sauce. However, in this recipe , I am not using any cream. When cooked well, the urad dal will give more than enough rich creamy texture. No need to add unnecessary extra cream and the high calories that go with it.
Less complicated, low calorie but filling and hearty are the buzzwords that I like to hear when meal planning.
Healthy food has to be comforting and sustainable. Simple, traditional recipes offer you that option. You will love this easy to make Daal Makhani and it’s rich delicious taste.
Using Instant Pot, you will cook this curry in a breeze. Trust me, restaurant style entrée without much of hard work and with better quality ingredients. What’s not to love about it?
WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS OF INSTANT POT DAL MAKHANI?
The Lentil / Daal Mix :
1 cup whole black urad dal ( Black Gram Matpe Beans) Soaked in water overnight.
1/2 cup red kidney beans , soaked in water overnight.
In case you forget to soak the beans and lentils, don’t worry. Instant Pot will still cook it tender and mushy . Just add more time and water while cooking.
1 cup water
The Makhani Sauce Mix :
1 tablespoon cooking oil ( traditionally butter or ghee is used. If you are not vegan you can use it)
1 can tomato puree or 3 medium tomatoes crushed
1 cup water
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp. Cumin-Coriander powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp cardamom seeds crushed
1 tsp each- grated ginger and garlic
½ teaspoon heaped chili powder
1 tablespoon raw sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt, adjust per taste
1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves ( called Kasuri Methi ) This dry herb brings out the unique flavor to many Indian curries.
STEP BY STEP DIRECTIONS :
Soak the black urad dal and red kidney beans in cold water overnight. Drain, rinse and set aside. Soaked beans and lentils more than double in size. They absorb the flavors better and cooking time is reduced. ( As mentioned earlier, if you are cooking un-soaked beans, please increase the water in cooking by another cup )
Press the SAUTE button on the Instant Pot. Let it heat up for a minute. Add the oil and the cumin seeds. Once they start to sizzle and brown, add all the ingredients listed under Makhani sauce. Stir well and let it cook for 2-3 minutes while stirring.
Cancel SAUTE. Your quick Makhani sauce is ready.
Add the soaked lentils and beans to the pot in the Makhani sauce , add 1 cup of water and mix well. Close the lid, place the valve on sealing and press the BEAN setting.
Takes about 30 minutes at high pressure once InstantPot comes to pressure. Once it’s done cooking, let it NPR ( natural pressure release). Once the silver pin drops, open the lid. Mix everything well.
Mash the lentils and beans with a spoon to get the thicker, creamier consistency.
Stir well . Crush some dried fenugreek leaves on your palm and add them to curry. Mix well. Garnish with chopped cilantro and extra dried fenugreek leaves if desired. Serve warm and enjoy !
SERVING SUGGESTIONS :
Daal Makhani pairs well with white Basmati rice. You can eat it with garlic naan, paratha, roti , bread, quinoa or couscous.
Typically it is served along the side of cut raw onions and lemon wedges to get the perfect rustic feel. You can just eat bowlful like a chili with variety of toppings also.
This recipe can be doubled. It freezes well. You can use it for meal prep. You might have to add little water while reheating.
Adding few Amazon Affiliate links to get the pictured Ethnic Indian Copper Serving Bowls From Amazon. These serving bowls can be used to serve biryani, curry and daal. You can use these unique bowl for all types of cuisine. They are easy to maintain and clean since heavy-duty stainless steel is used on the interior.
Hope you like making this delicious, comforting Instant Pot Dal Makhani recipe. Our blog features several such delicious and healthy , easy to prepare dinner ideas. Be sure to check these amazing recipes.
- TURMERIC LEMON RICE
- PUNJABI KADHI PAKORA
- EASY PALAK PANEER
- SAMOSA CHAT RECIPE
- KUTCHI DABELI
- PAV BHAJI
- STUFFED OKRA
- INSTANT POT RAJMA MASALA
- TAWA PULAO
- EASY RAGDA PATTIES
- COCONUT RICE KHEER
- INSTANT POT PUNJABI CHOLE
- ALOO MATAR CURRY
- INSTANTPOT DAL PALAK
★ If you make this INSTANT POT DAL MAKHANI RECIPE do let us know how you like it by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below.
The Lentil / Daal Mix :
- 1 cup whole black urad dal, Black Gram Matpe Beans Soaked in water overnight.
- 1/2 cup red kidney beans, soaked in water overnight
To make Makhani sauce :
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil, traditionally butter or ghee is used. If you are not vegan you can use it
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 cup tomato puree or 3 medium tomatoes crushed
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp each grated ginger and garlic
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin-coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp cardamom seeds crushed
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ teaspoon heaped red chili powder - adjust per taste
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, adjust per taste
- 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves, called Kasuri Methi
- Soak the black urad daal and red kidney beans in cold water overnight. Drain, rinse and set aside. Soaked beans and lentils more than double in size. They easier absorb the flavors and cooking time is reduced.
- Press the sauté button on the Instant Pot, once heated, add the oil or butter and allow it to heat up for a minute. Add the cumin seeds and once they start to brown, add all the ingredients listed under Makhani sauce. Stir well and let it cook for 3-4 minutes while stirring. Cancel Sauté. Your quick Makhani sauce is ready.
- Add the lentils and beans to the pot with Makhani sauce , add 1 cup of water and mix well. Close the lid, place the valve on sealing and press the Bean setting. Takes about 30 minutes at high pressure once InstantPot comes to pressure. Once it’s done cooking and beeps, let it NPR ( natural pressure release)
- When the silver pin drop, open the lid. Mash the beans slightly with a spoon to get the thicker consistency.
- Stir well. Crush some dried fenugreek leaves in your pinch and mix well. garnish with cilantro and dried fenugreek leaves if desired.
- Serve with rice of your choice, any choice roti , quinoa or couscous. You can just eat bowlful like a chili with variety of toppings also.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Serving Bowl Karahi Indian Dishes Serveware Set of 2
- Rani Fenugreek Leaves Dried, All Natural (Kasoori Methi) 28g (1oz) ~ Gluten Free Ingredients | NON-GMO ~ Vegan
- Simply Organic Ground Ceylon Cinnamon
- Simply Organic Cardamom, 2.82 Ounce
- Rani Garam Masala Indian 11 Spice Blend 3oz (85g) All Natural | Vegan | Gluten Free Ingredients | Salt Free | NON-GMO
- Instant Pot DUO Plus 60, 6 Qt 9-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 146Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 466mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 5g
Nutritional values are provided as a courtesy and the values are approximate. The values will change depending on the exact ingredients, measurements and brands used. As always, for specific health issues and dietary requirements please consult medical professional.