A lovely selection of Afternoon Tea Sandwiches with a good cup of tea and scones really make for an elegant afternoon. These easy-to-make tea sandwiches are perfect for any occasion..
Quick, easy, and always popular, finger sandwiches are a must at high teas and other formal informal gatherings. They are perfect for Mother’s Day brunch, baby showers, bridal showers, book club meets, soiree and tea parties.
This recipe was inspired by my binge watching Bridgeton, Downton Abbey and other popular British shows on Netflix. Similar to Custard Yogurt Toast , Easy Bruschetta and Avocado Toast , this popular Cocktail Sandwich Recipe pairs well with Chai Tea or Sweet Iced Tea. Paloma or Red Wine Sangria will be perfect for cocktail pairings.
Tea Parties are most cherished in our family. We find occasions to call friends, to chit-chat, laugh and make memories with some delicious and easy food preparations. Coffee/Tea with ProfusionCurry Kitchen is very famous amongst our friends and family.
This recipe features sweet and savory tea sandwich ideas beyond classic cucumber cream sandwiches. Colorful veggies, soft bread and delicious cream cheese or honey is all you need to make these scrumptious Tea Party Sandwiches.
- Bread: Soft sandwich white bread, Italian bread, Brioche Bread, sourdough bread or any other available bread. Cut the edges.
- Savory Cream Cheese Spread : Combine cream cheese with salt, pepper and dried herbs. You can also use store brought Boursin or other herbed cream cheese. Use this spread for cucumber and other veggies.
- Sweet Cream Cheese Spread : Combine cream cheese with honey. Use this spread for fruit sandwiches.
- Veggies: Cucumber, tomatoes, sweet peppers, avocado, carrots are best
- Fruits or Berries: Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, grapes, oranges, Mangoes, peaches. Frozen fruits also work well.
- Optional Garnishes: Optional but I like sprinkling ground black pepper and fresh or dried herbs like dill, chives or parsley. It accentuates the flavors.
See recipe card for quantities.
Cut the edges of Bread. Arrange a few bread slices on a cutting board and apply sweet and savory cream cheese spread.
Cut your favorite vegetables thinly and arrange on half of the slices. Cover these sandwiches with remaining half slices. Cut each sandwich in three equal pieces. They should be roughly two finger thick in slice.
Hint: Cut the veggies prior and sprinkle salt over veggies like cucumber so that excess water can be removed. If you are not sure about cutting sandwiches in smaller pieces, cut the bread in the desired size prior and then make sandwiches.
Make these light, delicious, miniature tea sandwiches the way they do at the Ritz. The recipe inspiration for the Sweet and savory combination comes from our Domestic Diva Martha Stewart.
- Vegan – You can make Vegan tea sandwiches by using plant based cream cheese and maple syrup or agave nectar instead of honey.
- Gluten Free – use certified gluten-free bread instead of wheat or rye bread to make this gluten free tea sandwiches.
- Filling – I am using mixed berries, cucumbers and oranges as sandwich fillers. You can use variety of different fruits of your choice. You can also make Banana Peanut Butter Sandwiches, and Masala Toast Sandwiches, along with these tea sandwich ideas to make a show stopped appetizer platter.
Variety of Tea Sandwiches
The classic English Cucumber Sandwiches are made with just bread, cucumber, cream cheese and salt. Use these variations to make them gourmet.
- Spicy – add chili pepper flakes, chili lime seasoning to add a hint of spice.
- Creamy – instead of cream cheese you can use mayo, clotted cream, mascarpone, ricotta or whipped cream.
- Boursin – Use cream cheese and season it with salt and spices. You can also use herbed butter.
- Kid friendly – Cut the bread in different shapes like bunny, star, heart and then make the sandwiches.
- Deluxe – Use guacamole, hummus, Harissa, dijon mustard or tahini sauce. You can also experiment with Avocado Cilantro Lime Sauce or Pesto spread.
These sandwiches taste their best when freshly made. Keep all the ingredients ready beforehand and then start assembling sandwiches just prior to serving. You can prep the ingredients a day keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
To make sandwiches ahead of time, assemble them the night before and loosely cover them with wax paper or saran wrap, then wrap them in a damp paper towel and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
I do not recommend freezing these sandwiches.
A classic English Afternoon Tea service includes a cup of tea served with variety of crustless finger sandwiches scones, pastries and sweet cakes.
Plan for 3-4 sandwiches per person since you will be serving them along with other munchies. These sandwiches are two fingers thick size.
Yes. To make sandwiches ahead of time, assemble sandwiches the night before and loosely cover them with wax paper or saran wrap, then in a damp paper towel in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
If you make this Afternoon Tea Sandwiches Recipe , do let us know how you like it by ★ rating it and leaving a comment below.
Afternoon Tea Sandwich Ideas
- 8 Slices bread crust removed
- 1 each cucumber and medium sweet pepper sliced into thin pieces
- 1 cup fruit : Blueberries, strawberries, oranges thinly sliced
For Savory Cream Cheese Filling
- ½ cup cream cheese or Boursin
- Salt, black pepper, dried herbs
For Sweet Cream Cheese Spread
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 1 Tablespoon honey
Optional Garnishes and Toppings
- Red pepper, chili lime seasoning, fresh dill or parsley
- Combine cream cheese with salt, pepper and herbs to make savory spread.
- Combine cream cheese with honey to make sweet spread.
- Cut the edges of the bread slices.
- To Make Savory Sandwiches, spread the savory cream cheese mixture on top of the two bread slices. Arrange cucumber and bell pepper slices on top. Cover it with second bread slice with cream spread facing down.
- To Make Sweet Sandwiches, spread the sweet honey cream cheese mixture on top of the two bread slices. Arrange sliced fruits on top of one slice. Cover it with second bread slice with cream spread facing down.
- Cut each sandwich in three equal pieces. Serve and Enjoy!