Masala Oats is a delicious breakfast bowl of champions ! This savory Indian oats upma is made with heart healthy oats, vegetables, and spices or flavorings. I am confident you are going to love this hearty creation made from scratch with only wholesome ingredients.
If you are looking for a healthy and satisfying breakfast or brunch recipe to wake up to, this is it ! What I love most about this Savory Masala Oats Bowl is how easy to make.
It requires hardly any chopping or preparation. This warm and comforting food is nourishing and way better than ready–made saffola masala oats.
This easy and quick recipe makes excellent Vegan and gluten-free Indian breakfast porridge. I show you how to easily make it on Instant Pot or on stove top.
- Warm and comforting
- Filling and wholesome
- Quick and easy
- Gluten free,
- Dairy Free
Few years ago, Hubby and I decided to switch to gluten limited eating preferences. So we stopped eating foods containing processed white flour, cream of wheat as well as other wheat products.
We replaced our grain choices with white and brown rice, different millets, quinoa and gf oats. It was an adjustment for couple weeks and it was so worth it. Now we love being Gluten Limited.
I love to eat the steel cut oats the savory way. Steel cut oats have grainier texture than the regular oats. They also retain their form and don’t get as mushy when cooked.
Oatmeal is one of the best heart healthy whole grain. I was on quest to make it lovable especially for Indian palates. Thus this oats upma recipe became staple in my kitchen.
This delicious and spicy oats recipe is made using Steel Cut Oats, Chia seeds and basic Indian spices. We have added in some veggies to make it nutritional dense and colorful. The basic recipe is very versatile. You can adjust the seasoning and salt per taste.
- Steel Cut Oats : I like to use steel cut oats because they are heart healthy whole grain
- Chia seeds and Flax Seed Meal for added nutrients
- Olive Oil or Coconut Oil – skip for WFPB cooking
- Vegetables : I am using onion and color sweet peppers. You can also use peas, carrots, or beans.
- Seasoning and spices : Green Chilli or red chilli powder, fresh curry leaves, minced ginger and fresh lemon juice. For the spices , I am using cumin seeds, turmeric powder and garam masala.
- Garnishes : Fresh cilantro leaves and spiced cashews.
How to Make
Instant Pot and Stove top methods are described in details in the recipe card below. Here is the overview
- Turn Instant Pot on Sauté Mode and carefully sauté all the ingredients in warm oil.
- Adjust the seasoning and salt. Add water.
- Use the MANUAL setting on the Instant Pot and choose high pressure for 3 minutes. When it’s done cooking, let it go to Keep Warm setting and let the pressure drop naturally.
- After you can open the lid, stir well so all the cooked ingredients are mixed well. Squeeze lemon juice and serve warm garnished with cut cilantro leaves and cashews on top.
Serve these hearty Masala Oats with steaming hot cup of Masala Chai or Spiced Indian Tea. You can also serve it with Golden Milk or Almond Milk Hot Chocolate during winter months and Saffron Infused Lemonade or Peach Panna in summer months.
A bowl of this savory oatmeal is wholesome and meal enough of itself. You can add a side of raita, Flaxseed Chutney or Apple Chutney for additional flavors. Sweet lemon pickle or tomato chutney are also great sides.
Our favorite Breakfast Recipes
- Bread Upma – spiced leftover Indian bread
- Savory Sweet Potato Stir Fry
- Thalipeeth – Multigrain Indian Flatbread
- Tofu Scramble
Upma is a quintessential breakfast item served across India. It’s a spicy porridge made with roasted Cream of Wheat or Oats along with vegetables and basic spices.
Yes. This recipe uses whole grains like Steel cut oats so the masala oats dish is wholesome and full of nutrients. Chia seeds are nutritional powerhouses providing solid amount of omega-3, calcium and powerful antioxidants. Steel Cut Oats are heart healthy and provide great amount of protein, minerals and soluble fiber which controls the cravings and aids in weight loss. Add in all the medicinal benefits of Ginger and turmeric and you have one healthy nourishing recipe that is also very satisfying and filling to eat.
Rolled or quick cook oats are mushier and creamier when cooked. Steel Cut oats are grainier and retain their form not becoming too mushy. So depending on how you like the feel of the oats, choose the type. Water ratio and cooking times will slightly change depending upon which oats are used. Make sure to use certified gluten free oats if you are allergic to ; or avoiding gluten.
Typically used in Indian cooking, curry leaves are fresh or dried leaves of curry plant. They are flavor enhancers. You will find them in Indian grocery stores. Alternatively, you can use a bay leaf (but flavors are not identical) However, curry powder and curry leaves are totally different things. Curry powder is Indian style all seasoning mix.
❤ If you make this ProfusionCurry Recipe, do let us know how you like it by ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Star Rating and commenting below ! ❤
Masala Oats – Indian Savory Oats Upma
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon olive or coconut oil skip for WFPB cooking
- 1 onion – finely chopped
- 1 cup sweet bell peppers – Chopped
- 1 Jalapeño-De-seeded and chopped or green chilli
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 4-5 curry leaves use 1 bay leaf as substitute
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ lemon juiced
- Salt and pepper per taste
- ½ cup Cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup cashews for garnish
- ¼ cup coarse flax seed meal
How to Make Masala Oats in Instant Pot
- Turn Instant Pot on Sauté Mode. Add oil. After 30 seconds, add cumin seeds, chopped onion, jalapeño slices, minced ginger and curry leaves. Stir well and let it cook for couple minutes.
- Add bell peppers, turmeric powder and oats. Stir well. Let it toast for 3-4 minutes. Make sure you stir it few times so it doesn't burn.
- Add Chia seeds and water. Add salt and pepper and do the taste test. Mix well. Cancel Sauté. Close the lid and valve in Sealing Position. Use the MANUAL setting on the Instant Pot and choose high pressure for 3 minutes. When it's done cooking, let it go to Keep Warm setting and let the pressure drop naturally.
- Once the pressure drops, carefully open the lid. Add Flax seed meal. Stir well so all the cooked ingredients are mixed well. Squeeze lemon juice and serve warm garnished with cut cilantro leaves and cashews on top.
How to Make Masala Oats on Stove Top
- On the medium heat, add oil to the Heavy Bottom pan. Once oil is warm, add cumin seeds, chopped onion, jalapeño slices, minced ginger and curry leaves. Stir well and let it cook for couple minutes. Add bell peppers and oats. Stir well. Let it toast for 3-4 minutes.
- Add Chia seeds, turmeric and water. Add salt and pepper and do the taste test. Mix well.
- Bring the water to boil. Reduce the heat. Cover the pot with lid and let it cook for 10-12 minutes stirring few times so things don't burn.
- Turn off the heat when water is almost evaporated and oats are cooked and tender. Mix in flax seeds meal.
- Stir well so all the cooked ingredients are mixed well. Squeeze lemon juice. Garnish with cut cilantro leaves and cashews on top. Serve warm. Enjoy !
- DO NOT use the quick release when making oats in Instant Pot. ! Since oats foam up substantially, quick releasing it will result in hot oatmeal water spraying everywhere. So please wait for the Natural Pressure Release until at least 10 minutes.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Warm it up by adding couple tablespoons of water before serving.
- Chia seeds and flax seed meal are my additions to make this meal healthy and nutrient dense. Typical Indian recipes do not include it . So if you prefer, simply skip using it.