Makhani Masala Pasta is fusion blend of classic Italian pasta and delicious Indian Makhani sauce. This quick and easy 30 minute recipe is creamy, flavorful, off beat and crowd pleaser.
This dazzling pasta recipe is perfect for busy weeknight dinners and lunches. It also is elegant enough for parties, entertaining and potlucks. It also is very easy to adjust according to your dietary preferences.
You can make this one pot meal using electric pressure cooker like Instantpot. You can also use traditional method of boiling and preparing the pasta and making sauce separately on Stovetop. Either way it is a quick and easy 20 minute delicious dinner recipe.
Italian pasta and Indian spiced Makhani sauce .. these are world’s best foodie things ! When you combine the two, it makes super flavorful, nice and creamy pasta that you go for seconds and thirds ! It’s just soo good.
Makhani sauce of ten is called Shahi Makhani in Hindi. The word Shahi means royal. For cooking purposes it refers to dishes that are rich and creamy.
To make this recipe truly Shahi style royal, we are using bow tie pasta ! I mean , come on, bow tie pasta oozes sophistication. It’s cute and stylish ! It looks beautiful coated in rich and creamy masala sauce.
To make shahi makhani sauce, we also use all Indian Makhani sauce ingredients along with cashews ! Yes .. we are talking utterly sophisticated, delicious meal here.
This Indian Italian Fusion Pasta
- is vegan and can be made gluten-free ( choose GF pasta variety)
- is one-pot meal – either stove top or InstantPot
- comes together in 20 minutes!
- makes a comforting flavorful fusion pasta meal loved by all.
PRO TIP FOR PICKY EATERS
This by far is the most favorite pasta recipe for kids. We often make this recipe for potlucks , BBQs or picnics. And we often get tons of compliments especially from kids every time we make this recipe.
Most all kids love pasta. They feel special when you have some interesting meal especially for them. Plus it’s a great way to include full serving of veggies in their diet.
Your kids will love this pasta in their lunch boxes. I often pack it in warm thermos so it stays moist and creamy.
When I’m looking for a restaurant quality meal in the comfort of my own home, I turn to this creamy farfalle pasta loaded with flavors. It’s quick to make and the sauce is SO incredibly delicious!
You can never go wrong with pasta for a quick and easy dinner. Here are some of our favorites pasta recipes.
- BLUSHING BEET PESTO PASTA
- PENNE ROSA – PENNE IN CREAMY SAUCE
- SPAGHETTI LENTIL BOLOGENESE
- INSTANPOT STUFFED SHELLS
- PENNE PESTO PRIMAVERA
- RED LENTIL SEDANINI WITH PESTO
- VEGAN LEMON BASIL PASTA
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE MASALA MAKHANI PASTA
Pasta – For this pasta recipe, I used bow tie -farfalle pasta. You can choose any shape of small pasta. To make this recipe gluten free, choose GF pasta variety. Adjust cooking time accordingly.
Veggies – For the sauce, we are using onions, tomato sauce, and minced garlic and ginger. Simple ingredients Big flavors! I am also using 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables. You can use any of your favorite vegetables.
Cashew Paste – For the creaminess, I am using roasted cashews. Blend 1/2 cup of cashews with 1/2 cup water and make smooth paste. It adds earthy, nutty flavors and velvety rich texture. To make it nut free, use coconut milk or heavy cream.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT MAKHANI PASTA
Start off by sautéing the onions, minced ginger garlic in warm oil. If you want smooth puree like sauce, blend the onions in water. Otherwise, use finely chopped onions. Sauté the onions for few minutes till the raw smell goes away.
Add tomato sauce and all the spices. Mix well and let it simmer for few minutes so tomato sauce starts to concentrate. Add veggies and pasta. mix well. Add water.
Close the lid and pressure cook the pasta. After it’s done cooking , do a quick pressure release after 5 minutes. Add cashew paste and mix well.
For garnish, sprinkle chopped cilantro leaves on top. Sprinkle cardamom powder, garam masala and freshly ground black pepper for additional flavors. Serve warm.
Don’t forget to take pictures when you make our delicious recipes. Tag us with #profusioncurry on Instagram ! We would love to feature your creation.
★ If you make this Makhani Masala Pasta Recipe do let us know how you like it by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil, I used olive oil
- 8.8 oz box of pasta
- 14.5 oz can tomato sauce or puree
- 2 cup chopped mixed vegetables - I used frozen mix veggie mix
- 3-4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder - adjust per taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup cashews, make a paste by blending in 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi, crushed, dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro for garnish
- Optional garnish: freshly ground black pepper, extra cardamom powder and garam masala to sprinkle over the top.
INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS
For perfectly cooked pasta in Instant pot :
Choose half the time mentioned on the pasta box minus 1 minute. Usually it is 4-5 minutes.
You can use Marinara Sauce, tomato puree, tomato sauce or blend 3 red tomatoes in 1/2 cup water for the sauce.
Tips for picky eaters :
Most all kids love pasta. They feel special when you have some interesting meal especially for them. Plus it's a great way to include full serving of veggies in their diet. You can puree the vegetables and use them along with tomato sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Simply Organic Cardamom, 2.82 Ounce
- Barilla Gluten Free Pasta, Penne, 12 Ounce (Pack of 8)
- Rani Garam Masala Indian 11 Spice Blend 3oz (85g) All Natural | Vegan | Gluten Free Ingredients | Salt Free | NON-GMO
- Trader Joe's Roasted & Unsalted Whole Cashews 1lb
- Rani Fenugreek Leaves Dried, All Natural (Kasoori Methi) 28g (1oz) ~ Gluten Free Ingredients | NON-GMO ~ Vegan
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 229Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 7g
Nutritional values are provided as a courtesy and the values are approximate. The values will change depending on the exact ingredients, measurements and brands used. As always, for specific health issues and dietary requirements please consult medical professional.