Makhani Masala Pasta is fusion blend of classic Italian pasta and delicious Indian Makhani sauce. This quick and easy 30 minute pasta dinner recipe is creamy, flavorful, off beat and crowd pleaser.
We love fusion recipes that mix our native Indian cooking with international flavors. Similar to Paneer Tacos and Sweet Coconut Pastry , you will love this Indian Italian Fusion food.
Easy Pasta Dinner
This dazzling tomato based pasta is perfect for busy weeknight dinners and lunches. It also is elegant enough for parties, entertaining and potlucks. It also is very easy to adjust according to your dietary preferences.
You can make this one pot meal using electric pressure cooker like Instantpot. You can also use traditional method of boiling and preparing the pasta and making sauce separately on Stovetop. Either way it is a quick and easy 20 minute delicious dinner recipe.
What is Makhani Masala Pasta
Italian pasta and Indian spiced Makhani sauce .. these are world’s best foodie things ! When you combine the two, it makes super flavorful, nice and creamy pasta that you go for seconds and thirds ! It’s just soo good.
Makhani sauce of ten is called Shahi Makhani in Hindi. The word Shahi means royal. For cooking purposes it refers to dishes that are rich and creamy.
To make this recipe truly Shahi style royal, we are using bow tie pasta ! I mean , come on, bow tie pasta oozes sophistication. It’s cute and stylish ! It looks beautiful coated in rich and creamy masala sauce.
To make shahi makhani sauce, we also use all Indian Makhani sauce ingredients along with cashews ! Yes .. we are talking utterly sophisticated, delicious meal here.
This Indian Italian Fusion Pasta
- is vegan and can be made gluten-free ( choose GF pasta variety)
- is one-pot meal – either stove top or Instant Pot
- comes together in 20 minutes
- makes a comforting flavorful fusion pasta meal loved by all.
Suitable for Picky Eaters
This by far is the most favorite pasta recipe for kids. We often make this recipe for potlucks , BBQs or picnics. And we often get tons of compliments especially from kids every time we make this recipe.
Most all kids love pasta. They feel special when you have some interesting meal especially for them. Plus it’s a great way to include full serving of veggies in their diet.
Your kids will love this pasta in their lunch boxes. I often pack it in warm thermos so it stays moist and creamy.
When I’m looking for a restaurant quality meal in the comfort of my own home, I turn to this creamy farfalle pasta loaded with flavors. It’s quick to make and the sauce is SO incredibly delicious.
Our Favorite Pasta Recipes
- Beets Pesto Pasta Vegan, GF, Instant Pot
- Penne Rosa -Pasta in Creamy Tomato Sauce
- Spaghetti Lentil Bolognese
- Instant Pot Stuffed Pasta Shells
- Penne Pesto Primavera
- Lemon Basil Pasta Vegan, GF
- Red Lentil Sedanini
- Pasta – For this pasta recipe, I used bow tie -farfalle pasta. You can choose any shape of small pasta. To make this recipe gluten free, choose GF pasta variety. Adjust cooking time accordingly.
- Makhani Sauce Spices – To flavor the pasta, I have used few spices like garam masala, cardamom powder, red chili powder and kasuri methi for taste and fragrance.
- Veggies – For the sauce, we are using onions, tomato sauce, and minced garlic and ginger. Simple ingredients Big flavors! I am also using 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables. You can use any of your favorite vegetables
- Cashew Paste – For the creaminess, I am using roasted cashews. Blend ½ cup of cashews with ½ cup water and make smooth paste. It adds earthy, nutty flavors and velvety rich texture. To make it nut free, use coconut milk or heavy cream.
- Start off by sautéing the onions, minced ginger garlic in warm oil. If you want smooth puree like sauce, blend the onions in water. Otherwise, use finely chopped onions. Sauté the onions for few minutes till the raw smell goes away.
- Add tomato sauce and all the spices. Mix well and let it simmer for few minutes so tomato sauce starts to concentrate. Add veggies and pasta. mix well. Add water.
- Close the lid and pressure cook the pasta. After it’s done cooking , do a quick pressure release after 5 minutes. Add cashew paste and mix well.
- For garnish, sprinkle chopped cilantro leaves on top. Sprinkle cardamom powder, garam masala and freshly ground black pepper for additional flavors. Serve warm.
This pasta makes one pot complete meal all by itself. You Can use it for office and school lunches. Typically pasta is served with a simple side green salad and crusty baguette on the side. That will be perfect pairing here too.
For more elaborate meal. you can serve this pasta with different side dishes. Air Fryer Garlic Toast or Italian Bruschetta is perfect appetizer/ side. You can also use Vegan Olive Tapenade on toast. Air fryer roasted vegetables like asparagus, mushrooms or broccoli will make it nutrient rich healthy meal.
Don’t forget to take pictures when you make our delicious recipes. Tag us with #profusioncurry on Instagram ! We would love to feature your creation.
Join us on Pinterest and FACEBOOK . You will love all our delicious, wholesome, plant based recipes from around the world.
★ If you make this Makhani Masala Pasta Recipe do let us know how you like it by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below.
Makhani Masala Pasta Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon cooking oil I used olive oil
- 1 8 oz box of pasta
- 1 14.5 oz can tomato sauce or puree
- 2 cup chopped mixed vegetables – I used frozen mix veggie mix
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 inch ginger finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup water
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder – adjust per taste
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ cup cashews make a paste by blending in ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi crushed, dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro for garnish
- freshly ground black pepper
- extra cardamom powder and garam masala to sprinkle over the top.
INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS
- Press the sauté button on the Instant Pot. Once it displays hot, add the oil and then add the chopped garlic, ginger and onion. Sprinkle some salt. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until onions are soft.
- Add a can of tomato puree, veggies, cardamom powder, garam masala, red chili powder. Mix well and let it cook for few minutes till the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add the water and de-glaze the pot. Make sure there's nothing stuck at the bottom.
- Add the pasta. Do NOT stir. Close the pot with its lid. Valve at SEALING. Press the MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK button and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- After it's done cooking, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes and then quick release the pressure. Once the silver pin drops, open the lid, stir everything and press the saute button.
- Add the cashew paste. Crush kasuri methi on your palm and add it in the sauce. Let the pasta simmer for 2 minutes. Sprinkle chopped cilantro.
- For additional flavor, sprinkle freshly ground black pepper, cardamom powder and garam masala on top before serving. Serve warm.
- STOVE TOP INSTRUCTIONS
- Prepare pasta according to the package instructions. Once boiled and ready, drain the water in colander and set it aside.
- Heat a pan on medium heat and once hot, add oil to it. Then add garlic, ginger and onion. Sprinkle some salt. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until softened.
- Then add tomato sauce, veggies, cardamom powder, garam masala and red chili powder. Stir well and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the raw smell goes away.
- Add the cashew paste and mix. Add in the boiled pasta and mix well. You may have to add extra warm water if the sauce looks very thick. Adjust the seasoning. Let the pasta heat through.
- Crush some kasuri methi on your palm and sprinkle it over. Turn off heat. Sprinkle freshly ground black pepper, cardamom powder, garam masala over the pasta just before serving.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and serve warm.
Please add where the veggies have to go into the main instructions area.
You add the veggies along with tomato sauce. Added in the recipe card. Thanks