Tex Mex Quinoa is full of nutritious veggies and topped with a robust, tangy, lime-garlic marinade. This colorful healthy dish makes a WOW statement with it’s looks and taste. Our popular weekly lunch/ dinner menu item, it is a super crowd pleaser at potlucks, parties and picnics!
A delicious and super simple Tex Mex Quinoa with corn, black beans, red bell peppers, cilantro, and avocados. An easy dressing / marinade kicks the taste to another notch. A complete healthy meal that is easy, delicious and beautiful. Just look at that picture !! Such a beautiful eye candy really !
And this Tex Mex Quinoa is very easy and quick to prepare. There are only few veggies to chop — the avocado, peppers and red cabbage and cilantro. Then it’s just making quinoa and prepping the dressing which comes together super quickly.
While you can certainly make this dish ahead of time, don’t add the avocado until you are ready to serve it. This will ensure that avocado stays green and fresh and not brown.
Lighter food with brighter colors that are full of flavors. That is where this Tex Mex Quinoa comes in. It’s full of fresh ingredients. It has a zesty, tangy dressing that perfectly helps bring everything together. While this dish is super-good-for-you, it doesn’t taste like your ordinary health food.
Tex Mex Quinoa is good for any time of the year recipe. It tastes good warm or chilled. After all, beautiful food is always good, isn’t it? Best way to incorporate lots of veggies so this dish helps with that and the addition of quinoa keeps it on the healthier side.
And let’s talk about that dressing/ marinade. It is tangy (lemon), spicy (chili-lime seasoning), creamy ( whisked oil) and robust garlicky ( minced garlic) with hint of salty and herby ( I just made up that word?). A true awakening of all senses. Trust me, you will LOVE how robust this marinade tastes.
As I always mention, you could definitely add some of your favorite ingredients to this quinoa recipe. Maybe some different peppers, red onions or different herbs.
I prefer to use red cabbage instead of red onion for lot of my recipes. If the dish is staying for longer duration, onion starts to smell not so good. Red cabbage on the other hand, stays crispy and doesn’t smell. But its preference. So by all means, if you prefer red onion, substitute it or add extra.
You can make this like a salad in a mason jar also. Add some dressing on the bottom of the jar, then the quinoa and stack the other ingredients (again not the avocado until ready to eat)This delicious dish can be served warm or cold.
A perfect plant protein, quinoa boasts a great protein to carbohydrate ratio. So for those of us watching the carbs or on the low carb diets, it is the BEST plant based option. 1 cup of cooked quinoa provides 5 gms of fiber and 8 gms of Protein including 20 amino acids.
How do you cook Quinoa ?
I often make a big batch of quinoa in InstantPot. It comes in handy for any last minute meal preparation. I like to mix and match it with curries, use as salad base or soups.
To make Quinoa, I use 1 cup quinoa to 1.5 cup water. In InstantPot, set it on Manual 1 minute high pressure. Let it NPR natural pressure release. Fluff the cooked quinoa with fork. Perfect every time. For Stove top, combine the water and quinoa in stockpot and let it come to boil. Reduce the heat, cover and let cook for 8-10 minutes. And Quinoa is ready !
1 cup uncooked quinoa ( I used Tri-Colored Quinoa)*
1.5 cup water
1cup sweet corn ( fresh/ frozen or canned)
1 cup black beans
1 cup red cabbage thinly cut
1 large red bell pepper roughly chopped
2 large avocados
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
Optional: fresh lime wedges, jalapeño pepper slices
1 tablespoon avocado oil ( you can easily skip it to make oil free)
1 teaspoon coriander cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon chili lime seasoning ( adjust per taste)
1/2 teaspoon all purpose seasoning ( I prefer 21 seasoning salute)
1 garlic clove minced
Pinch of salt
Juice of 1 lime
Prepare the quinoa according to package directions. 1 cup uncooked quinoa makes about 3 cups cooked.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, I used Tri-Colored Quinoa
- 1.5 cup water
- 1 cup sweet corn, fresh/ frozen or canned
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup red cabbage thinly cut
- 1 large red bell pepper roughly chopped
- 2 large avocados
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- fresh lime wedges jalapeño pepper slices, Optional
- For Marinade
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili lime seasoning, adjust per taste
- 1/2 teaspoon all purpose seasoning, I prefer 21 seasoning salute
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Pinch of salt
- Juice of 1 lime
- Prepare the quinoa according to package directions. See notes below. 1 cup uncooked quinoa makes about 3 cups cooked.
- While quinoa is cooking, prepare veggies. ( hold off cutting and adding avocado until serving to avoid browning)
- To prepare the marinade, add all of the ingredients in a bowl. Using a whisk, blend all ingredients well.
- Combine quinoa and veggies in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the marinade over quinoa and veggies and stir to combine.
- Just before serving, toss in avocado pieces. Mix well. Spoon into serving bowl and garnish with fresh cilantro and lime wedges.
- Can be served warm or chilled ! Enjoy.
How to make Quinoa In Instantpot?
- Use 1 cup quinoa to 1.5 cup water. Close the lid with valve at SEALING. Set it on Manual (or Pressure Cook) button for 1 minute high pressure. Once it beeps when finished cooking, let it NPR natural pressure release. Open the lid. Fluff the cooked quinoa with fork. Perfect quinoa every time.
How To make Quinoa on the Stove top?
- Combine the water and quinoa in stockpot and let it come to boil. Reduce the heat, cover and let it cook for 8-10 minutes. Quinoa is ready when water is mostly absorbed and there are rings around the grains.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 435Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 0mgFiber: 12gSugar: 7gProtein: 12g
If you like this Tex Mex Quinoa recipe, check out few of our favorite complete dinner ideas. Using Instant Pot, these flavorful vegan dinners will be ready in less than 30 minutes with healthy wholesome meals.
Vegetarian Bean Chili
Asian Vegetable Schezwan Rice