Chocolate Apple Nachos are super easy and super fun snacks or dessert. You can easily make them by loading up sliced apples with a myriad of toppings.
If you are looking for a simple yet festive, quick and healthy snack or dessert, THIS IS IT !!
You will love these fun loaded nachos that are easier to share and easier to eat as well.
These Healthy Apple Nachos are
- GLUTEN FREE
- 5 INGREDIENTS
- 10 MINUTE QUICK RECIPE
- EASY, NO COOK RECIPE
- PERFECT FOR AFTER SCHOOL SNACK
Come September, along with fall, apple season picks up here in the Midwest. Even though apples are available all year long in grocery stores, I love using the seasonal fruit in a variety of dishes.
You will love these Apple Creations from our kitchen!
- APPLE PIE OATMEAL
- APPLE BUTTER SAUCE
- VEGAN APPLE CRISP
- MULLED APPLE CIDER
- APPLE GINGER CHUTNEY
- KALE GREEN APPLE SUPERFOOD SMOOTHIE
Apple Nachos are my kid’s favorite after school snack. We love eating them for late night dessert too.
These fruit nachos are perfect for entertaining a crowd as well. Along with our traditional Super Delicious Nachos, I also make a platter of Healthy Apple Nachos for tailgating and game day snacking.
I am using semi sweet chocolate drizzle. You can however, use peanut butter, caramel, melted marshmallows, chocolate chips, nuts and seeds or even sprinkles.
HOMEMADE DULCE DE LECHE
I often keep a jar of our favorite Instant Pot Dulce de Leche in the fridge. That sauce works wonderfully for a drizzle and dipping the apples as well. Check out our easy recipe on how to make it.
Since nachos are all about layering, I love to add some chocolate sauce , chocolate chips and shredded coconut on top. But frankly, you can use as many toppings of your choice and what you have easily available.
The beauty of this simple dish is you can dress it up to fancy so quickly. Just add some colorful festive sprinkles and voila!
It easily turns into fall dessert, Halloween treat, Thanksgiving side or Christmas dessert. Wholesome and nutrient rich goodness!
HOW TO PREVENT THE SLICED APPLES FROM TURNING BROWN ?
The best way to prevent the apple slices from oxidizing and turning brown is to toss them in a bowl filled with ice cold water mixed with 1-2 tbsp. of lemon juice. You can also use vinegar , a bit of baking soda or Fruit-Fresh to control browning.
This keeps them crisp and looking pretty and fresh! If you plan to eat it right after making it, you could skip the step and just arrange the freshly cut slices. If you plan to serve it for party, I do recommend to soak them in ice cold water since brown apples are not visually appealing.
I do not recommend storing them sliced for too long regardless. Freshly cut are always the best and crisp.
WHAT TOPPINGS CAN BE USED FOR APPLE NACHOS?
Apple nachos are fun because the possibilities for toppings are endless. Some of our favorites :
- Caramel Sauce
- Dulce de Leche
- Pumpkin spice
- Raisins, chopped dates
- Seeds – pumpkin, chia, hemp or sunflower
- Nuts – chopped almonds, pecans or walnuts
- Crushed Candy bars
- Dusting of sea salt crystals
WHAT KIND OF APPLES DO YOU USE ?
I prefer to use slightly tart apples like Granny Smith. Honey Crisp, Gala or Fuji types also work. To make it colorful and fancy, use both red and green apples and alternate the slices for a beautiful presentation. It also gives a nice balance of tart and sweet taste.
This recipe should be served soon after it is made. The apples will stay fresher and taste crisp. If you are looking to save it, wrap plastic clings around the plate and keep in the refrigerator for max 2 hours.
- APPLES : I am using red and green variety
- CHOCOLATE CHIPS : Semi-sweet or dark are preferred
- GROUND CINNAMON : Adds wonderful warm flavor
- SHREDDED COCONUT : For toasty, creamy mouthful
- LEMON JUICE ( optional – to prevent apples from browning)
- COCONUT OIL ( optional – helps with smooth spreadable chocolate melt)
HOW TO MAKE
- Core and slice the apples to about 1/4 inch thickness. Soak the slices in a shallow bowl with 4 cups of water and 1/4 cup lemon/lime juice.
- Drain the apple slices Put them on a clean kitchen towel and let excess water drip off.
- Arrange the apple slices in a circular pattern on a large platter.
- Melt half the chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second intervals until it becomes smooth sauce. ( Add a teaspoon of coconut oil for a smooth spreadable sauce )
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the apple slices.
- Evenly sprinkle ground cinnamon, shredded coconut, remaining chocolate chips, and any other toppings you would like.
Serve right away or within 2 hours.
Here are some other easy snack recipes to try :
- Chili Garlic Edamame
- Banana Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- Rice Krispies Chivda
- Greek Tzatziki Dip
- Baked Kale Chips
- Potato Cheese Poppers
★ If you make this HEALTHY APPLE NACHOS RECIPE do let us know how you like it by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below.
- 4 apples sliced
- 1/4 cup lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or apple pie spice mix
- 1/4 cup shredded dry coconut
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips or cacao nibs ( use half for melting and half for layering)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil - optional : to make smooth spreadable chocolate sauce
- any other toppings to your liking
Core and slice the apples to about 1/4 inch thickness.
Soak the slices in a shallow bowl with 4 cups of water and 1/4 cup lemon/lime juice.
Drain the apple slices Put them on a clean kitchen towel and let excess water drip off.
Arrange the apple slices in a circular pattern on a large platter.
Melt half the chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second intervals until it becomes smooth sauce. ( Add a teaspoon of coconut oil for a smooth spreadable sauce )
Drizzle the melted chocolate over the apple slices. Evenly sprinkle ground cinnamon, shredded coconut, remaining chocolate chips, and any other toppings you would like.
Serve right away or within 2 hours.
This recipe should be served soon after it’s made. The apples will stay fresher and taste crisp. If you are looking to save it, wrap plastic clings around the plate and keep in the refrigerator for max 2 hours.
You can easily dress up these nachos by using colorful sprinkles into fall dessert, Halloween treat, Thanksgiving side or Christmas dessert.
Since nachos are all about layering, I love to add some chocolate sauce , chocolate chips and shredded coconut on top. You can use as many toppings of your choice and what you have easily available.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 147Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 44mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 4gSugar: 19gProtein: 1g
Nutritional values are provided as a courtesy and the values are approximate. The values will change depending on the exact ingredients, measurements and brands used. As always, for specific health issues and dietary requirements please consult medical professional.