Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes become fork tender and silky smooth when pressure cooked. Use this easy recipe to make the best melt in your mouth sweet potatoes. Whether you’re enjoying them as a side dish, adding them into your favorite recipes, or savoring them on their own, this method delivers most effortlessly cooked sweet potatoes!
Electric pressure cooker, the versatile kitchen appliance streamlines the cooking process, delivering perfectly tender sweet potatoes in a fraction of the time.
Moist and earthy sweet potatoes are delicious and retain all their wonderful taste when cooked in electric pressure cooker. They are wholesome and hearty.
A perfect alternative to unhealthy sugar cravings. Keep them handy and eat them if you feel an urge to reach out for candy or sweets. Nutrient packed all natural sweet taste is amazing and addictive. You will love this Vegan, Gluten Free and Dairy/Soy free recipe.
All this recipe needs is the sweet potatoes and cold water.
I prefer to serve the sweet potatoes hot with a variety of toppings and seasonings. Consider options like butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, maple syrup, or a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
How To Make
- Rinse and clean the sweet potatoes in cold water.
- Add 2 cups cold water to the Instant Pot and add a trivet or steamer basket.
- Arrange the whole sweet potatoes on the rack, and close the lid. Put the valve to SEALING. Select MANUAL and choose timing based on the size. (Small size – 8 minutes, Medium size – 10 minutes, Extra large, long sweet potatoes – 12-15 minutes)
- Once the cooking is done, wait for 10 minute. Then release the leftover pressure by turning the valve to VENTING. Open the lid carefully and take them out using a tong.
- Slit open on top with knife and drizzle your desired toppings on top. Devour your beautiful creation.
Why Make Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes?
I must admit we rarely made these potatoes in the oven before electric pressure cooker like Instant Pot made a debut in our kitchen scene.
Baking them in the oven takes roughly about an hour( give or take). It certainly is not your last minute dash and grab type meal. So unless I really planned ahead of time for them, it never happened.
Also during summer months, heating the home with oven heat is not that enticing. I also happen to be the person who prefers to maximize the cooking resources.
That meant planning the dishes to bake along the sweet potatoes in. Ok I think you get idea. So all in all, we didn’t have too many meals with baked potato pre Instant Pot era.
Once I got hang of using Instant Pot , making these hard to cook vegetables, beans or rice became a breeze. From start to finish they cook within 25 minutes.
Most of it is effortless cooking from your part. These potatoes peel really easily once they are cooked. So no need to remove skin before hand. Even better right?
Sweet Potato Uses
- Sweet potatoes make excellent meal prep. You can make a big batch and store it for few subsequent meals.
- There are several different toppings you can choose to add on. Raw sweet potatoes are very inexpensive and have excellent shelf life; so you can stock up.
- If you are used to eating the sweet on sweet style potato like butter and maple syrup, give the savory toppings o change things up. A sweet and savory action will surely hit the right spot.
- Drizzling the pesto sauce over hot baked potato gives it a unique flavorful taste , further enhancing the earthy tones. The chives and salt add extra dimension to the pungent and salty taste making it very delicious dish altogether.
- I like to add the sweet potatoes only in one layer, I usually prefer to add 4 small or medium size when I cook them.
- Make sure to use steamer basket or trivet when you cook them. It ensures that the sweet potato don’t stay in the water while cooking.
- It’s like giving them a steam bath without touching the water. They remain tender fluffy and non mushy flesh with it.
Sweet Potato Recipes
My family loves naturally sweet and earthy sweet potatoes in variety of different recipes. We often make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges , Air Fryer Hasselback Sweet Potatoes and Savory Sweet Potato Stir Fry for easy side dishes.
Absolutely ! Sweet potatoes are packed with vitamins. They are high in vitamin A which is great for eye sight health. Also rich in vitamin B5, B6, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin. They also contain no fat, are relatively low in sodium and have fewer calories than white potatoes.
Cooked sweet potatoes are a low calorie, high fiber food that keeps you feel full for a longer duration. For a variation, you can even eat them as a snack as well. Much better than fried version for sure.
I used a 6q Instant Pot for this recipe. You can cook 3-4 medium sweet potatoes at once on high pressure. The timing depends on the size of the potatoes:
Small sweet potatoes – 8 minutes
Medium sweet potatoes – 10 minutes
Extra large, long sweet potatoes – 12-15 minutes
You can cook sweet potatoes in a 6 or 8 quart Instant Pot. Since big whole potatoes won’t properly fit in smaller units, I do not recommend 3 quart Instant Pot for cooking sweet potatoes. Adjust amount of water depending upon the size of the unit. Add 1 cup to a 6 quart Instant Pot and add 1.5 cups to an 8 quart Instant Pot.
for even cooking, I prefer to put them in a single layer. But if need to stack them to make a big batch, it should work fine. If you find that your sweet potatoes need additional cooking time, you can simply put the lid back on, add more time, and cook.
- Store. Leftover sweet potatoes can be stored in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Freeze. Wrap leftover sweet potatoes, and freeze them for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
- Reheat. Reheat sweet potatoes in the microwave until hot. You can also reheat them in Instant Pot by cooking for 3 minutes or in the preheated oven at 350 F until hot .
Easy Instant Pot Recipes
Cooking rice, beans and potatoes is so worth rewarding in pressure cooker because you get consistent results every time. Do check out our vast collection of Instant Pot Recipes for easy weeknight meals.
★ If you make this Instant Pot Sweet Potato Recipe, do let us know how you like it by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below.
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- 4 raw sweet potatoes-medium size
- 1 cup water
- Rinse and scrub the sweet potatoes well in cold water.
- Add the cold water to the Instant Pot and add a trivet or steamer basket.
- Arrange the whole sweet potatoes on the rack, and close the lid. Put the valve to sealing. Select Manual and choose timing based on the size. (Small size – 8 minutes, Medium size – 10 minutes , Extra large, long sweet potatoes – 12-15 minutes)
- Once the cooking is done and the Instant Pot goes to keep warm timer, wait for 10 minute. Then release the leftover pressure by turning the valve to venting.
- Open the lid carefully and take them out using a tong. Slit open on top with knife and drizzle your desired toppings over. Enjoy !
Medium size – 10 minutes ,
Extra large, long sweet potatoes – 12-15 minutes