Sweet Potatoes become fork tender and silky smooth when pressure cooked. This easy to make Instant Pot recipe is wholesome and hearty. Moist and earthy sweet potatoes are delicious and retain all their wonderful taste when cooked in electric pressure cooker.
Sweet potatoes make excellent meal prep as well. You can also make a big batch and save it for few subsequent meals. There are several different toppings you can choose to add on. Raw sweet potatoes are very inexpensive and have excellent shelf life; so you can stock up.
If you are used to eating the sweet on sweet style potato like butter and maple syrup, give the savory toppings o change things up. A sweet and savory action will surely hit the right spot. Drizzling the pesto sauce over hot baked potato gives it a unique flavorful taste , further enhancing the earthy tones. The chives and salt add extra dimension to the pungent and salty taste making it very delicious dish altogether.
IDEAL PRESSURE COOKER RECIPE
I must admit we rarely made these potatoes in the oven before Instant Pot made a debut in our kitchen scene. Baking them in the oven takes roughly about an hour( give or take). It certainly is not your last minute dash and grab type meal. So unless I really planned ahead of time for them, it never happened.
Also during summer months, heating the home with oven heat is not that enticing. I also happen to be the person who prefers to maximize the cooking resources. That meant planning the dishes to bake along the sweet potatoes in. Ok I think you get idea. So all in all, we didn’t have too many meals with baked potato pre Instant Pot era.
Once I got hang of using Instant Pot , making these hard to cook vegetables, beans or rice became a breeze. From start to finish they cook within 25 minutes. Most of it is effortless cooking from your part. These potatoes peel really easily once they are cooked. So no need to remove skin before hand. Even better right?
USEFUL KITCHEN TOOLS
Of course, you will need the star ingredient the sweet potatoes and cold water. I am using savory toppings of homemade pesto sauce ( fresh basil leaves and walnuts blended together with olive oil), chives and Himalayan pink salt. These toppings are very customizable to your likings so experiment it as much as you like.
I like to add the sweet potatoes only in one layer, I usually prefer to add 4 small or medium size when I cook them. Make sure to use steamer basket or trivet when you cook them. It ensures that the sweet potato don’t stay in the water while cooking. It’s like giving them a steam bath without touching the water. They remain tender fluffy and non mushy flesh with it.
SWEET POTATOES : DELICIOUS SUPER FOOD!
Sweet potatoes are packed with vitamins. They are high in vitamin A which is great for eye sight health. Also rich in vitamin B5, B6, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin. They also contain no fat, are relatively low in sodium and have fewer calories than white potatoes.
A perfect alternative to unhealthy sugar cravings. Keep them handy and eat them if you feel an urge to reach out for candy or sweets. Nutrient packed all natural sweet taste is amazing and addictive. You will love this Vegan, Gluten Free and Dairy/Soy free Healthy recipe.
These cooked sweet potatoes are a low calorie, high fiber food that keeps you feel full for a longer duration. For a variation, you can even eat them as a snack as well. Much healthier than fried version for sure!
HOW LONG SHOULD I COOK SWEET POTATOES IN THE INSTANT POT?
I used a 6q Instant Pot for this recipe. You can cook the sweet potatoes on high pressure. The timing depends on the size of the potatoes:
Small sweet potatoes – 8 minutes
Medium sweet potatoes – 10 minutes
Extra large, long sweet potatoes – 12-15 minutes
HOW TO MAKE
Rinse and clean the sweet potatoes in cold water.
Add 2 cups cold water to the Instant Pot and add a trivet or steamer basket.
Arrange the whole sweet potatoes on the rack, and close the lid. Put the valve to SEALING. Select MANUAL and choose timing based on the size. (Small size – 8 minutes, Medium size – 10 minutes, Extra large, long sweet potatoes – 12-15 minutes)
Once the cooking is done, wait for 10 minute. Then release the leftover pressure by turning the valve to VENTING. Open the lid carefully and take them out using a tong.
Slit open on top with knife and drizzle your desired toppings on top. Devour your beautiful creation.
We love cooking delicious and easy dishes in the Instant Pot. Pair these popular meals with these sweet potatoes
- TAWA PULAO
- PENNE ROSA
- EGG ROLL BOWL
- BLACK BEAN SOUP
- CREAMY TOMATO SOUP
- LENTIL QUINOA SOUP
- SPAGHETTI LENTIL BOLOGNESE
- CURRY FRIED RICE
- CREAMY LEMON BASIL PASTA
★ If you make these INSTANT POT SWEET POTATOES do let us know how you like it by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below.
- 4 raw sweet potatoes-medium size
- 1 cup water
For the Optional Toppings:
- 1 Tablespoon Pesto sauce per Sweet potato
- Dash of Himalayan Pink salt
- 1 Tsp finely chopped chives
- Rinse and scrub the sweet potatoes well in cold water.
- Add the cold water to the Instant Pot and add a trivet or steamer basket.
- Arrange the whole sweet potatoes on the rack, and close the lid. Put the valve to sealing. Select Manual and choose timing based on the size. (Small size – 8 minutes, Medium size – 10 minutes , Extra large, long sweet potatoes – 12-15 minutes)
- Once the cooking is done and the Instant Pot goes to keep warm timer, wait for 10 minute. Then release the leftover pressure by turning the valve to venting.
- Open the lid carefully and take them out using a tong. Slit open on top with knife and drizzle your desired toppings over. Devour your beautiful creation !!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Homwe Silicone Oven Mitts and Potholders (4-Piece Sets), Kitchen Counter Safe Trivet Mats | Advanced Heat Resistant Oven Mitt, Non-Slip Textured Grip Pot Holders(Black)
- Grill Tongs for Cooking BBQ - Heavy Duty Grilling Tongs for Cooking & Serving Food in The Sizes You Need - 12 & 16" - Long Locking Stainless Steel Tongs for Kitchen & Barbecue - No More Burnt Hands
- Instant Pot DUO Plus 60, 6 Qt 9-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 small potato
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 158Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 1mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 3g
Nutritional values are provided as a courtesy and the values are approximate. The values will change depending on the exact ingredients, measurements and brands used. As always, for specific health issues and dietary requirements please consult medical professional.