Sweet casserole filled with mashed sweet potatoes, pecans granola and marshmallows. Whether you call it a holiday staple or a Thanksgiving cliché, sweet potato casserole is a Thanksgiving mainstay.
This dish is a traditional part of Thanksgiving dinner, but it is delicious any time of the year. Homemade Cranberry Sauce, Delicious Cornbread, Vegan Creamed Spinach, Crispy Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Harvest Kale Salad are some of our absolute favorites.
Our family is all about sides for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Holiday dinners. Everyone gets involved in creating a whole bunch of delicious sweet and savory side dishes. This recipe makes Dairy Free, Eggless, Vegan and Gluten Free Sweet Potato Casserole.
And this is a crowd pleaser winner – Sweet Potato Casserole. Call it a dessert or side dish, it a quintessential favorite. Cozy comforting Soul Food that everyone can’t get enough of.
Classic flavors of maple and cinnamon get enhanced with touch of lemon and salt. The buttery sweet potatoes, earthy pecan oats granola and toasty marshmallows! It.is.HEAVENLY !
It is light and fluffy, luscious and earthy. Each bite is full of texture and rich flavors that make it stand out side dish. Quiet frankly, it is good for any fall and winter dinner or when you need a special treat. Yes self care is important!
and toasted Marshmallows on the top layer add a glamorous make over..
The holiday season is all about creating classic comfort food. But if you can do it while thinking outside the box, you can make it more pleasurable. Make them easy , quick and with less efforts and you got winner !
I’m always trying and creating different side dishes that work wonderfully with almost any main entrée I’m working on, and that’s when I recently found myself recreating this sweet potato casserole.
This side dish ended up even better than I expected it to be. It had the perfect balance of flavors, was actually quite easy to make, and was a total hit among everyone in the family.
This sweet potato Casserole is the ideal dessert for entertaining and parties. You can prep and make it ahead few days in advance.
Make the Casserole but don’t bake or add marshmallows until you are ready to serve.
Marshmallows taste best when freshly toasted so get everything ready. Add layer of marshmallows at last, reheat and serve.
You’ll need a simple, classic set of ingredients to make the casserole. Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here’s a brief overview.
Sweet Potato Base : Cooked, peeled and mashed sweet potatoes, lemon juice, maple syrup and pinch of salt.
Pecan Maple Oats Granola : Pecans, Old fashioned rolled oats ( I used certified gluten free version ) , maple syrup, coconut oil or butter and ground cinnamon. You can use all purpose flour but I like the texture that oats bring.
Marshmallows : Optional but let’ face it…we use them a lot. A layer of toasted marshmallows on top is everyone’s favorite. You can use vegan and gluten free marshmallows to make this casserole suitable for vegan, dairy free and eggless. Trader Joe’s Whole Foods and Amazon has them easily available. Here’s my Amazon Affiliate link to buy Vegan and Gluten Free Marshmallows.
Make the Sweet Potato Base: Mix together cooked, peeled and mashed sweet potatoes with lemon juice, maple syrup and pinch of salt. I am including instructions to easily cook sweet potatoes in Instant Pot. Make this step ahead of time and use it to put together this casserole last minute.
Prepare Pecan, Maple and Oats Granola : In a medium bowl, combine the ingredients listed for the pecan granola Pecans, Old fashioned rolled oats ( I used certified gluten free version ) , maple syrup, coconut oil or butter and ground cinnamon. Mix well so it forms a crumble / granola-like texture.
Assemble the Casserole : Layer the mixture of mashed sweet potatoes on the casserole or baking dish that can go in the oven directly. Spread the granola mixture over the mashed potatoes.
Bake : Bake at 375 degree Fahrenheit in a pre heated oven for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven. Scatter marshmallows on top. Put it back in the oven under the broiler setting for 3-5 minutes so that marshmallows get toasty. Remove promptly. Serve warm. Enjoy !
How Do I Store the Leftovers?
Your leftover sweet potato casserole can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Just remember to cover the container well to keep out any refrigerator smells. Then, when you want to serve it, allow it to come to room temperature, and then just reheat it in the oven for a few minutes to crisp up the streusel once again.
The recipe is easy, but you wouldn’t want to miss out on some good tips and tricks to to make it failproof.
- If you want to make this dish ahead of time, you could do that too. Assemble the dish, cover it up and refrigerate it for up to 2 days before you decide to serve it, or you could make the streusel topping a few days in advance and then use it when needed.
- It is always best to bake the casserole right before you serve.
- Instead of just the ground cinnamon, using ready made pumpkin pie spice works beautifully and adds wonderful flavor.
- To keep the streusel from burning or browning up too much, cover it with some aluminum foil for hlaf part of the baking .
- While making the streusel, you could also replace the maple syrup with brown sugar to lend the casserole an extra depth of flavor.
- Looking for a quick shortcut to make this recipe? You could use canned yams instead of going through the process of boiling and mashing the fresh sweet potatoes.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
This sweet potato casserole tastes best when it is fresh out of the oven. Of course, you would want to allow it to cool down for a few minutes before you serve, because it is going to be piping hot!
Top it with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream whipped Greek yogurt for extra decadent treat. I like to whip up coconut cream with dash of nutmeg and brown sugar and add a dollop on the top. It is a sensory delight !
Sweet Potato Recipes
- Sweet Potato Wedges
- Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- Moroccan Stew with Sweet Potato and Lentils
- Sweet Potato Chocolate Brownies
- Savory Sweet Potato Hash
We would love to hear your feedback!! Use the PIN button in the recipe card or image below to pin this recipe !
★ If you make this Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe , do let us know how you like it by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below.
Sweet Potato Base
- 6 cups cooked peeled and mashed sweet potatoes (about 4 large or 6 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup ( or brown sugar )
- 1/4 cup butter or coconut oil melted
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Pecan Granola Streusel
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or butter melted
- 1cup old fashioned ( quick cook ) rolled oats - used certified gluten free
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the Sweet Potato base mixture.
- Spread the mixture in a greased, oven-safe casserole dish. ( 3 quart or 9x12 baking dish)
- In a medium bowl, combine the ingredients listed for the pecan streusel / granola. Mix well so it forms a crumbly granola-like texture.
- Top the sweet potato mixture with the pecan crumble / granola mixture.
- Bake for 25 min until golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven. Scatter marshmallows on top.
- Put it back in the oven under the broiler setting for 3-5 minutes so that marshmallows get toasty.
- Remove promptly. Serve warm. Enjoy
How Do I Store the Leftovers?
Your leftover sweet potato casserole can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Just remember to cover the container well to keep out any refrigerator smells.
Then, when you want to serve it, allow it to come to room temperature, and then just reheat it in the oven for a few minutes to crisp up the streusel once again.
Cooking Sweet Potatoes in Instant Pot
Add 1 cup of water to the insert of a 6 quart Instant Pot or 1.5 cups to an 8 quart Instant Pot. Put a trivet or steamer basket to the Instant Pot and arrange sweet potatoes on it. Place the lid on the Instant Pot, and set the valve to 'sealing'.
Cook on High Pressure for 15 minutes followed by natural pressure release. Remove the lid when the silver pin drops and then remove the sweet potatoes and use as needed.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 239Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 51mgCarbohydrates: 81gFiber: 5gSugar: 51gProtein: 5g
Nutritional values are provided as a courtesy and the values are approximate. The values will change depending on the exact ingredients, measurements and brands used. As always, for specific health issues and dietary requirements please consult medical professional.