This 20 minutes Dumpling Soup is the best way to satisfy your craving for spicy Asian food. Frozen Gyoza dumplings and colorful veggies are simmered in scrumptious Miso broth enhanced with ginger and garlic to create a wholesome meatless meal your family will love !
The layers of textures and variety of flavors in this Vegetarian dumplings soup are just mind blowing. The spicy broth is rich and soothing. Cooked dumplings are soft and tender. Mix of fresh veggies add a nice bite and lightness to this happy meal.
Why You will Love this recipe
- This vegan dumpling soup is semi-homemade , it’s super simple to make and it is wholesome and balanced.
- These better than takeout recipes are our family favorites. When you can make simmering bowl of healthy meal in just 20 minutes, why bother ordering food from outside?
- Using frozen dumplings a great shortcut to save a ton of time. Dumplings or Wontons are very popular Asian food similar to Italian ravioli or tortellini.
I love to serve this soup with a side of Chili Garlic Edamame. It also pairs superbly with Curry Fried Rice or Hibachi Fried Rice . You can serve it with Kung Pao Tofu or Smoked Tofu for additional plant protein.
This really is one of the quickest, easiest soups you could ever make. So make sure to stock up on those frozen pot stickers when you are grocery shopping next time. Then you can make this cozy soup in just minutes.
Dumplings : I love the frozen Thai Vegetable Gyoza from Trader Joe’s. You can also use wonton, pot stickers or dumplings. Costco also sells a big bag of these, which can be used for several meals. I often stock few bags in the freezer.
Broth : Trader Joe’s Miso Ginger Broth is my favorite broth to use in this recipe. It is healthy, healing, warming and therapeutic.
Vegetables : To amp the nutrients, I add mix of colorful chopped veggies. Chopped red cabbage and red bell peppers, shredded carrots add good vitamin boost to this soup. I am also using onion for flavor and mushrooms for meaty texture and burst of umami.
Flavoring and garnishes : Minced ginger and garlic add wonderful savory flavors to the soup broth. Fresh lime juice adds wonderful zest and pop of freshness. Chili Garlic Paste adds a nice spicy kick. I like to garnish this soup with cilantro leaves , green onions and sesame seeds.
Dumplings : I am using vegetable dumplings but you can easily buy them filled with ground pork, shrimps, ground chicken or beef. You can also use wontons, dumplings, or pot-stickers.
Broth : You can substitute Miso Broth with any other vegetable or chicken broth. If you do, add couple tablespoons of soy sauce, scallions, celery and bay leaf for the flavoring.
Veggie Mix : Use whatever veggies you like in this soup. baby bok choy, broccoli, spinach, kale leaves or zucchini are great options. Other herbs like rosemary, thyme or fresh parsley also can be used for garnishes.
How to Make
Start off by warming up the olive oil in the soup pot or sauce pan. Add onions, minced ginger and garlic. Sprinkle some salt. Sauté for 3 minutes till onions get golden brown.
Add rest of the vegetables. Sauté further for 3 minutes until mushrooms start to brown.
Add Miso broth and mix well. Let it come to a boil on high heat.
Add frozen gyoza ( or wontons, dumplings / pot stickers) . Give it a good stir. Cover the pot and let it simmer for 3 minutes.
Turn off the heat when gyoza are fully cooked. Add the lime juice and chili garlic paste. Mix well. Your vegan dumpling soup is ready. Ladle the soup in the bowls. Garnish with lime wedges, chopped cilantro and green onions. Serve warm and enjoy !
Helpful Hint : This dumpling soup recipe makes a big batch so use a large pot for cooking. You can freeze leftovers and reheat them for later. Store any leftover soup in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can reheat on the stovetop, stirring occasionally. Or, use microwave in 30 seconds intervals until heated through.
Yes. This vegetarian soup is one pot complete meal. Pot stickers are boiled and not fried so it is light. Miso broth is healing and therapeutic.
Vegetarian dumplings soup is made with spicy miso ginger broth based Asian soup. Frozen gyoza ( pot stickers or dumplings ) are simmered in savory spicy broth along with mix of vegetables and mushrooms to make this comforting one pot dinner soup.
It is. This easy soup recipe can be made with store brought gyoza, pot-stickers, wontons or Asian dumplings.
More Cozy Soup Recipes
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 2 Tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- ½ cup chopped red cabbage chopped
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup red bell pepper
- 8 oz. mushrooms halved
- 6 cups Miso Broth * see notes
- 1.5 lb. bag frozen vegetarian gyoza or use dumplings, wontons or pot stickers
- 1 Lime juiced
- 1 Tablespoon Chili garlic paste
- ¼ cup green onions
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ⅛ teaspoon salt adjust per taste
How to Make Vegetarian Dumplings Soup on Stove Top
- Start off by warming up the oil in the soup pot or saucepan. Add onions, minced ginger and garlic. Sprinkle some salt. Sauté for 3 minutes till onions get golden brown.
- Add the rest of the vegetables. Sauté further for 3 minutes until mushrooms start to brown.
- Add Miso broth and mix well. Let it come to a boil on high heat.
- Add frozen gyoza ( or dumplings / pot stickers) . Give it a good stir. Cover the pot and let it cook for 3 minutes. Turn off the heat when gyoza are fully cooked. Add the lime juice and chili garlic paste. Mix well. Your vegan dumpling soup is ready.
- Ladle the soup in the bowls. Garnish with lime wedges, chopped cilantro and green onions. Serve warm and enjoy !
How to Make Instant Pot Dumpling Soup
- Start Instant Pot on Sauté Mode. Add oil. Once it displays hot, add onions, ginger and garlic. Sprinkle some salt and continue to sauté for 2 minutes until onions start to brown.
- Add rest of the vegetables. Stir for few minutes. Add miso broth and frozen gyoza. Stir well. Cancel Sauté. Close the lid and vent to sealing. Choose 1 minute on high Pressure.
- Once Instant Pot finishes cooking, let it release pressure naturally for 5 minutes. Then release leftover pressure by moving the valve to venting. Open the lid.
- Add lime juice and chili garlic paste. Adjust the salt if needed. Ladle the soup in bowl. Garnish with lime wedges, chopped cilantro and green onions. Serve warm and enjoy !