Black eyed peas and spinach stew is a wholesome meal that is flavorful, hearty and healthy. It is one of the dish to make when you are craving comfort food. You will love the variation of flavors to this classic soul food.
The creamy texture of the black eyed peas balances well with smoky flavors of the seasoning. I am including instructions to make this recipe using electric pressure cooker like Instant Pot or on the Stove top.
Many folks eat black eyed peas on New Years. This ‘must have recipe’ however, can be enjoyed through out the year. Pair it with Easy Homemade Cornbread for a meal that will keep you feeling lucky and happy all year long.
This vegetarian black eyed peas recipe is gluten free, soy free, dairy free and vegan.
ARE BLACK EYED PEAS GOOD FOR YOU?
Loaded with good plant based protein and high fiber, Black eyed peas also provide zinc, B complex, iron and calcium. Their complex protein and carbohydrates are a great addition to any diet.
It also contains a significant amount of flavonoids that help protect against cardiovascular diseases. No wonder these charming beans are considered your “Good Luck Charm” !
To soak or Not to Soak Black Eyed Peas?
Typically, I like to soak the beans for 4-5 hours before I cook them. They almost double in size and volume when soaked. So if you are cooking soaked beans, please adjust water accordingly.
Often, I decide what to make in the morning and then its easy to plan and soak and do the prep work for it quickly.
However, if you are time pressed, un-soaked beans will do just fine. Try to rinse them in the warm water. Un-soaked beans will need extra water to cook.
I have cooked both soaked and un-soaked beans in Instant Pot and can’t really tell much difference in texture and taste of the beans.
ADDING FENUGREEK SEEDS TO BEANS WHILE COOKING HELPS WITH DIGESTIVE ISSUES
Traditionally in Indian cooking, a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds are often added while cooking any beans, lentils and legumes. It’s believed that fenugreek seeds help body break down the fiber and protein. It there by, helps to minimize the digestive issues.
Not sure if it’s scientifically proven but I often add fenugreek seeds while cooking / soaking beans, lentils and legumes. However, it is optional.
BEST WATER TO BEAN RATIO FOR SMOOTH COOKING
As a general guideline, we use 2:1 ratio of water to pre-soaked beans. You should use 3 : 1 cup ratio if beans are not pre-soaked.
This ratio gives good consistency in cooking and gives smooth texture. If you are looking for more liquid soup like consistency, add more water.
1 cup dry Black Eyed Peas
1 cup spinach ( or kale)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2-3 medium size tomatoes finely chopped
1 tsp of fenugreek seeds – soak it along or just add while cooking – optional
1 tablespoon cooking oil
Chopped cilantro , onion and lemon wedges for garnish
2 tsp coriander cumin powder
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1-2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Chili lime seasoning – adjust per your spice tolerance
1 tsp raw or brown sugar
Himalayan Pink Salt -adjust per taste
1 inch grated ginger
3-4 garlic cloves minced
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 cups of water
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT BLACK EYED PEAS STEW?
Set Instant Pot on medium on Sauté. Wait few minutes so it heats up. Add oil. Wait for few seconds so the oil warms up. Then add in the ginger and garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
Add onions and sauté for few minutes til onions are tender. Mix in the tomato and cook for 1-2 minutes until the tomatoes are softened.
Now add all the spices, salt and sugar and mix well. Add black eyed peas and water. Mix well.
Cancel sauté function. Close the lid of Instant Pot.
Press PRESSURE COOK, set on High Pressure for 10 minutes. Allow NPR ..natural pressure release.
Open the lid. Add spinach and lemon juice and mix well again. Serve warm. Enjoy!
Whenever I am making curry / stew with beans, I prefer to mash some beans with spatula while stirring when they are cooked. The gravy in any curry gets awesome creamy and fullness from the mushed up beans.
The gravy will thicken slightly and give a nice consistency and texture. You don’t need to add any thickening agent or cream .
DON’T FORGET TO CHECK OUT OTHER AMAZINGLY WHOLESOME RECIPES
- MOROCCAN LENTIL STEW
- CHICKPEA COCONUT CURRY
- INSTANT POT DAL MAKHANI
- LENTIL QUINOA SOUP
- WHITE BEANS AND SPINACH SOUP
- RED BEANS CURRY- RAJMA MASALA
- VEGAN ENCHILADA RICE
We would love to hear your feedback . If you make our recipes, take a picture and tag it #profusioncurry on Instagram! We love seeing what you come up with. Cheers, friends !!
- 1 cup Black Eyed Peas
- 1 cup spinach or kale leaves
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 medium size tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds - soak it along or just add while cooking - Optional
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tsp coriander cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Chili lime seasoning -adjust per your spice tolerance
- 1 tsp raw or brown sugar
- Himalayan Pink Salt -adjust per taste
- 1 inch grated ginger
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Chopped cilantro, onion and lemon wedges for garnish
- 2 cups water, use 3 cups if beans are un-soaked
- Set Instant Pot on medium on Sauté,. When it displays HOT, add oil. Add in the ginger and garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add onions, sprinkle some salt and sauté for few minutes till onions are tender. Add in the tomato and cook for 1-2 minutes until the tomatoes soften.
- Add all the spices, salt and sugar and mix well. Add black eyed peas and water. Mix well.
- Cancel sauté function. Close the lid of Instant Pot. Press MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK mode set on High Pressure for 10 minutes. Allow NPR ..natural pressure release.
- Open the lid. Add chopped spinach and lemon juice. Give it a good stir so that all the ingredients are mixed well. Your healthy one pot meal is ready to enjoy !
For Stovetop :
- Use a heavy bottom pan and start on medium heat. Add oil and let it warm up for 30 seconds. Add in the ginger and garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add onions, sprinkle some salt and sauté for few minutes till onions are tender. Add in the tomatoes and cook for 3-5 minutes until the tomatoes are softened.
- Add all the spices salt and sugar and mix well. Add black eyed peas and water. Mix well. Close the lid and let it cook for 20-30 minutes until beans are soft and tender. CHeck in between to make sure there is enough water for cooking.
- Open the lid. Add spinach and lemon juice. Give it a good stir so that all the ingredients are mixed well. Your healthy one pot meal is ready to enjoy!
Soaked Black Eyed Peas : 1 cup peas -2 cups water 10-12 mins high pressure Instant Pot cooking
Un-Soaked Black Eyed Peas : 1 cup peas -3 cups water 20-25 mins high pressure Instant Pot cooking
Frozen or Canned Black Eyed Peas : 1 cup peas -1 cup water 5-8 mins high pressure Instant Pot cooking
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgFiber: 28gSugar: 47gProtein: 34g
Nutritional values are provided as a courtesy and the values are approximate. The values will change depending on the exact ingredients, measurements and brands used. As always, for specific health issues and dietary requirements please consult medical professional.