Instant Pot Black eyed peas stew with spinach is a wholesome meal that is flavorful, hearty and healthy. It is one of the dish to make when you are craving comfort food. You will love the variation of flavors to this classic soul food.
The creamy texture of the black eyed peas balances well with smoky flavors of the seasoning. I am including instructions to make this recipe using electric pressure cooker like Instant Pot or on the Stove top.
Many folks eat black eyed peas on New Years. It is believed that eating them brings in good luck in the year. This ‘must have recipe’ however, can be enjoyed through out the year.
This vegetarian black eyed peas recipe is gluten free, soy free, dairy free and vegan.
Exact measurements for each ingredients is listed in the recipe card at the end. Here’s more information about the ingredients I used and ideas for substitutions.
- Black Eyed Peas : 1 cup dry Black Eyed Peas. Rinse them well in cold water before using.
- Vegetables : I am using fresh baby spinach. You can also use collard greens or kale leaves. Also using one medium red onion and 2-3 medium sized Roma tomatoes for making the sauce.
- Seasoning : For the earthy rich and complex flavors, I am using, coriander cumin powder along with smoked paprika and turmeric powder. Couple of bay leaves add to the savory flavor. ( make sure to discard them before eating) I also like to add a good dash of Chili lime seasoning. You can use chili powder and lime juice if you don’t have this seasoning easily available. Grated ginger and minced garlic is used to enhance the savory delicious flavors further.
- Other Ingredients : I prefer to use neutral cooking oil like avocado oil or olive oil to make this stew. I also add a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds while cooking beans and legumes. A teaspoon of brown cane sugar is used to balance all the flavors. A splash of lemon juice adds a refreshing taste to this earthy stew.
How to Make Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Stew?
Set Instant Pot on medium on Sauté. Wait few minutes so it heats up. Add oil. Wait for few seconds so the oil warms up. Then add in the ginger and garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
Add onions and sauté for few minutes till onions are tender. Mix in the tomato and cook for 1-2 minutes until the tomatoes are softened.
Now add all the spices, salt and sugar and mix well. Add black eyed peas and water. Mix well.
Cancel sauté function. Close the lid of Instant Pot.
Press Pressure Cook Button, set on High Pressure for 10 minutes. Allow NPR ..natural pressure release.
Open the lid. Add spinach and lemon juice and mix well again. Serve warm. Enjoy!
What’s the best water to beans ratio for smoothly cooked beans?
As a general guideline, we use 2:1 ratio of water to pre-soaked beans. You should use 3 : 1 cup ratio if beans are not pre-soaked.
This ratio gives good consistency in cooking and gives smooth texture. If you are looking for more liquid soup like consistency, add more water.
- Whenever I am making curry / stew with beans, I prefer to mash some beans with spatula while stirring when they are cooked. The gravy in any curry gets awesome creamy and fullness from the mushed up beans.
- The gravy will thicken slightly and give a nice consistency and texture. You don’t need to add any thickening agent or cream .
- Serve it with rice, roti’s, bread, or with salad. My favorite pairing is Turmeric Lemon Rice and Creamy Potato Salad. Hope you enjoy making this dish.
Our Delicious Comfort Food Recipes
- Chickpea Coconut Curry
- Instant Pot Dal Makhani
- Lentil Quinoa Soup
- White Beans and Spinach Soup
- Red Beans Curry -Rajma Chawal
- Vegan Enchilada Rice
Loaded with good plant based protein and high fiber, Black eyed peas also provide zinc, B complex, iron and calcium. Their complex protein and carbohydrates are a great addition to any diet. It also contains a significant amount of flavonoids that help protect against cardiovascular diseases. No wonder these charming beans are considered your “Good Luck Charm” !
Traditionally in Indian cooking, a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds are often added while cooking any beans, lentils and legumes. It’s believed that fenugreek seeds help body break down the fiber and protein. It there by, helps to minimize the digestive issues. So, it is optional but I often add fenugreek seeds while cooking / soaking beans, lentils and legumes.
Typically, I like to soak the beans for 4-5 hours before I cook them. They almost double in size and volume when soaked. So if you are cooking soaked beans, please adjust water accordingly. Often, I decide what to make in the morning and then its easy to plan and soak and do the prep work for it quickly. However, if you are time pressed, un-soaked beans will do just fine. Try to rinse them in the warm water. Un-soaked beans will need extra water to cook. I have cooked both soaked and un-soaked beans in Instant Pot and can’t really tell much difference in texture and taste of the beans.
❤ If you make this ProfusionCurry Recipe, do let us know how you like it by ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Star Rating and commenting below ! ❤
Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Stew with Spinach
- 1 cup Black Eyed Peas
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth for cooking
- 1 cup spinach or kale leaves
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2-3 medium size tomatoes finely chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 inch grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds optional use it while cooking or soaking.
- 1 Tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1-2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ teaspoon Chili lime seasoning -adjust per your spice tolerance
- 1 teaspoon raw or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan Pink Salt adjust per taste
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Chopped cilantro
- onion and lemon wedges for garnish
How to Make Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Stew?
- Set Instant Pot on medium on Sauté,. When it displays HOT, add oil. Add in the ginger and garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add onions, sprinkle some salt and sauté for few minutes till onions are tender. Add in the tomato and cook for 1-2 minutes until the tomatoes soften.
- Add all the spices, salt and sugar and mix well. Add black eyed peas and water. Mix well.
- Cancel sauté function. Close the lid of Instant Pot. Press MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK mode set on High Pressure for 10 minutes. Allow NPR ..natural pressure release.
- Open the lid. Add chopped spinach and lemon juice. Give it a good stir so that all the ingredients are mixed well. Your healthy one pot meal is ready to enjoy !
How to Make Black Eyed Peas Stew on Stove Top
- Use a heavy bottom pan and start on medium heat. Add oil and let it warm up for 30 seconds. Add in the ginger and garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add onions, sprinkle some salt and sauté for few minutes till onions are tender. Add in the tomatoes and cook for 3-5 minutes until the tomatoes are softened.
- Add all the spices salt and sugar and mix well. Add black eyed peas and water. Mix well. Close the lid and let it cook for 20-30 minutes until beans are soft and tender. CHeck in between to make sure there is enough water for cooking.
- Open the lid. Add spinach and lemon juice. Give it a good stir so that all the ingredients are mixed well. Your healthy one pot meal is ready to enjoy!
- Soaked Black Eyed Peas : 1 cup peas -2 cups water, 8-10 mins high pressure Instant Pot cooking
- Un-Soaked Black Eyed Peas : 1 cup peas -3 cups water, 15-20 mins high pressure Instant Pot cooking
- Frozen or Canned Black Eyed Peas : 1 cup peas -1 cup water, 5-8 mins high pressure Instant Pot cooking.
We would love to hear your feedback . If you make our recipes, take a picture and tag it #profusioncurry on Instagram! We love seeing what you come up with. Cheers, friends !!