Mushroom masala is an Indian mushroom curry full of warm and spicy flavors. Earthy mushrooms are cooked in delicious onion tomato gravy full of flavorful Indian herbs and spices. It is easy to make this restaurant style Mushroom Masala Curry at home. I am including Instant Pot and stovetop instructions to make this dinner curry in just 20 minutes. Serve it with basmati rice or roti for an easy and satisfying weeknight dinner.
- Easy to prepare in under 20 minutes
- One Pot Meal
- Gluten free
- Nut Free and soy free
- Full of deep , rich and satisfying earthy flavors.
Similar to Rajma Masala , Shahi Paneer, Baingan Bharta and Palak Paneer, this mushroom curry is our family favorite Indian Curry. It is perfect for weeknight dinner, useful for meal prep and lunch boxes . You can also be serve it as an exotic meal for guests and parties.
Mushrooms : I typically use baby Bella or cremini mushrooms. You can also use White Button Mushrooms or shiitake mushrooms. Mushrooms add meaty texture and flavorful umami flavor to this curry.
Curry Base : I am using red onion and chopped fresh tomatoes as a curry base. You can use shallots or sweet onion as well. Instead of fresh tomatoes, tomato paste or tomato puree also works.
Flavors : This curry is flavored with classic Indian masala (which means aromatic spices). Cumin seeds, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala and red chilli powder are bloomed in warm oil. Minced ginger and garlic add zesty taste to the gravy. I love to sizzle fresh curry leaves for deep earthy aromas. You can also use bay leaf if curry leaves are not easily available.
Substitutions and Variations
- You can add additional vegetables to the mix. Typically shelled green peas are added to make Mushroom Mutter Masala Curry. You can also add cooked chickpeas for added plant protein. You can make a hearty mushroom potato curry by adding cooked potatoes to the mix.
- For richer and creamier curry, add heavy cream or yogurt. You can also use nuts especially cashew paste or almond paste to make it thicker curry. Coconut milk or frozen grated coconut can be added to make it mushroom coconut curry.
How To Make
Heat oil in large skillet or a kadhai pan. Add cumin seeds and let them sizzle on medium low heat. Then add curry leaves (or bay leaf ) and let them sizzle. Mix in Turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala and sauté for a minutes. This tadka brings out the depth of aroma of the spices.
Add sliced onions. Sprinkle some salt and sauté till they brown and caramelize. Add minced ginger and garlic and sauté couple more minutes.
Add chopped tomatoes. Continue to stir and sauté till tomatoes release water and become mushy.
Add sliced mushrooms and let them brown. Mushrooms release water as they cook. If the curry starts to splutter, then cover with a lid allowing for some space for the steam to pass. On a low to medium heat simmer the mushroom masala for 10 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender.
Mushroom masala is ready. Drizzle some lemon juice over it. Sprinkle some kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) and cilantro (coriander leaves) on top. Serve warm and enjoy !
Adjust the texture and consistency of the curry (gravy) as per your preference. Mushroom releases water when cooked so I do not use much extra water while cooking so that the mushroom gravy is thick and creamy. If you want it pourable, add ¼ cup water while cooking.
Store the leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Warm the mushroom masala gravy before serving.
Indian curry dinners are served with roti, naan. paratha, phulka, or steamed jeera rice. I like to add side of freshly cut onions, lemon wedges and green chili. Pickles and chutney are also great accompaniments.
As an avid foodie, I love cooking with mushrooms. From appetizers to hearty pasta and soups, there are variety of vegetarian meals you can make with mushrooms.
For cozy weeknight dinners, try our Creamy Mushroom Pasta, Mushroom Stew or Creamy Mushroom Soup. For party appetizers, Stuffed Mushrooms or Mushroom Puff Pastry are excellent choices. Air Fryer Mushrooms make excellent low-carb side dish.
Indian Vegetarian Curry Recipes
Mushroom masala is vegan and gluten free Indian curry made with mushrooms cooked in onion tomato curry sauce and sultry Indian herbs and spices. It is a hearty dinner curry full of umami flavors and meaty texture.
You can use any mushrooms you have readily available. For rich flavors, I pre fer baby Bella or cremini mushrooms but Button Mushrooms or white mushrooms, Portobello or shiitake mushrooms also work.
Yes. All edible Mushrooms are a good source of B vitamins and powerful antioxidants that helps support the immune system and prevent damage to cells and tissues. Mushrooms can help to lower cholesterol, protect the heart by maintaining healthy blood pressure and circulation.
It is. 1 cup of Indian mushroom curry only has Calories: 78kcal, Carbohydrates: 10g, Protein: 2gFat: 4gSodium: 300mg, Potassium: 331mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 817IU, Vitamin C: 18mg and Calcium: 36mg
❤ If you make this ProfusionCurry Recipe, do let us know how you like it by ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Star Rating and commenting below ! ❤
Mushroom Masala Recipe
- 1 (16 oz. ) mushrooms I used cremini mushroom
- 1½ cup tomatoes
- 1 cup onion I used red onion slices
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 inch Ginger minced
- 1 Tablespoon cooking oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4-5 fresh curry leaves or 1-2 bay leaves optional
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder adjust per spice tolerance
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt adjust per taste
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Kasuri Methi
- ¼ cup Cilantro leaves
How to Make Mushroom Masala Recipe on Stove Top
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add cumin seeds and let them sizzle on medium low heat. Then add curry leaves (or bay leaf ) and let them sizzle. Mix in Turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala and sauté for a minutes. This tadka brings out the depth of aroma of the spices.
- Add sliced onions. Sprinkle some salt and sauté till they brown and caramelize. Add minced ginger and garlic and sauté couple more minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Continue to sauté till tomatoes release water and become mushy.
- Add sliced mushrooms and let them brown. Mushrooms release water as they cook. If the curry starts to splutter, then cover with a lid allowing for some space for the steam to pass. On a low to medium heat simmer the mushroom masala for 10 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender.
- Mushroom masala is ready. Drizzle some lemon juice over it. Sprinkle kasuri methi and cilantro leaves on top. Serve warm and enjoy !
How to make Mushroom Masala in Instant Pot
- Press sauté and turn on Instant pot. Once it displays hot, add oil. Once oil warms up, add cumin seeds and curry leaves, and let it splutter.
- Add sliced onions, sprinkle some salt and Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chopped tomatoes and all the spices and herbs. Sauté well for 3 minutes.
- Add sliced mushrooms and mix well. Add ½ cup of water and de-glaze the pot. Make sure nothing is stuck at the bottom.
- Turn off saute mode Of your Instant Pot. Close the lid. Press the Manual button. Set the time for 5 minutes under high pressure with the pressure valve set to sealing. Once cooking time is done, quickly release the pressure.
- Open the lid. Mix everything well. Mushroom Masala in Instant Pot is ready. Drizzle some lemon juice over it. Sprinkle kasuri methi and cilantro leaves on top. Serve warm and enjoy !