Instant Pot Rice Pudding is one of the easiest dump and go dessert recipe. Satisfying and indulgent, this rice pudding is the best pressure cooker dessert. This velvety and creamy classic rice pudding is gluten free, dairy free and vegan.
Just a few pantry ingredients and 20 minutes of hands off time is all you need to make this creamy rice pudding. It tastes amazing served either warm or cold.
I love the convenience of cooking rice in Instant Pot. Turmeric Lemon Rice, Vegan Enchilada Rice, Hibachi style Fried Rice and Wild Rice Stuffing / Salad are my favorite rice recipes to make using the electric pressure cooker.
Easy To Customize
I am including total of 5 different customization options including the plain classic. Make a big batch and experiment with the toppings depending on your mood – classic, exotic, dreamy, creamy – you get the idea !!
Though technically, rice pudding is classified as dessert, don’t limit yourself to enjoy it just as an after dinner treat. You also can eat left over rice pudding cold the next morning for breakfast or snack. With all the flavors marinating over time, it tastes AMAZING!!
Better than Store Brought Rice Pudding
My husband loves Cozy Shack’s Rice Pudding that comes in tub. We often used to buy that when grocery shopping. Once I thought of making it at home. It was so much cheaper and easier to do it at home. We also made it without dairy, preservatives and fillers.
The goal was get the same indulgent and creamy taste without adding empty calories. And it needed to be quick and easy ! That’s when Pressure Cooker Rice Pudding was originated. Once I got comfortable using Instant Pot few years back, I had to make this healthy rice pudding. And now it’s so routinely made that I lost count.
Easy Rice Pudding Recipe
We absolutely love this dreamy, creamy and satisfying dessert. You will find slight variations of the recipes all around the world. Popular in Mexico as Arroz con Leche or in India as Kheer, this dessert is comforting and inviting. You will love the ease of making it at home.
I also love making Vegan Tapioca Pudding , Carrot Almond Pudding and Dulce de Leche using the Instant Pot. Chocolate Zucchini Bread also comes out nice and moist . Do try all these easy dessert recipes !
What are the ingredients of Classic Rice Pudding?
- Rice – You can use any type of uncooked rice you have on hand. Short grain, long grain, Basmati, Jasmine, Arborio all of them work. Quickly rinse the grains in cold water and drain.
- Milk- I am using Almond milk to make this pudding. You can use any milk of your choice. Plant based nut milk if vegan, dairy milk if regular.
- Almond flour- gives rich, dense and creamy texture to the pudding. You don’t need heavy cream or egg to get velvety smooth feel. Almond flour does it perfectly.
- Sweetener- I like to use Maple syrup to sweeten the Rice pudding. You can use any sweetener of your choice including sugar, stevia , dates or agave syrup.
- Flavoring- vanilla extract, pinch of cinnamon and dash of nutmeg to give the Grandma style classic rice pudding. Other options are suggested in the notes.
How to Make Rice Pudding in Instant Pot?
I prefer to use InstantPot to make the rice pudding in a jiffy. Add all ingredients in the main insert of the Instant Pot. Close lid with vent in SEALING position. Step by Step instructions are in Recipe card but pictorial directions are below.
Set Instant Pot to PORRIDGE mode on high pressure. When instant pot beeps, wait on the KEEP WARM timer for 10 minutes. Release the leftover pressure by turning the knob to VENTING after 10 minutes. Open Instant Pot lid and mix well. Rice pudding is ready. Serve warm or chilled. Sweet Dreams of decadence !!
Traditional Rice Pudding is actually a Baked Rice Pudding. It has a Custard like feel since eggs are used in baking. This Instant Pot Vegan Rice Pudding gets the custard feel by using fine blanched almond flour. It’s gonna be your best rice pudding recipe ever !!
5 Ways To Flavor Easy Creamy Vegan Rice Pudding :
Here are 5 different flavor combinations to make rice pudding even more interesting. Many times, I make a big batch of rice pudding and let everyone choose their toppings. So let’s call it DIY Rice pudding Bar or Rice Pudding Sundae.
- Chocolate Rice Pudding– Add a teaspoon of cacao powder to your original rice pudding and mix well. To make it extra fancy, top it off with shaved chocolate pieces. Umm too good!!
- Apple Cinnamon Rice Pudding – Add bite sized apple pieces ( 1/4 cup) and (1/4 teaspoon) cinnamon powder and mix well. It’s a quintessential favorite in my house.
- Nuts and Raisins – Stir in 1/4 cup chopped Walnuts, almonds, pecans or cashews and raisins or (dates or figs) to make this pudding earthy and sweet.
- Exotic Spices Saffron, Nutmeg, Cinnamon and Cardamom – Make it Indian or middle eastern style rice pudding. Add a pinch of saffron, crushed cardamom, dash of nutmeg and cinnamon. You will love the exotic and intense flavors!
- Fruit Melody Rice Pudding – Stir in 1/4 cup chopped fruit to make it luscious and colorful. Most berries, mangoes, peaches work superbly!!
Our Popular Instant Pot Recipes :
- Refried Pinto Beans
- Vegetable Barley Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Thai Red Curry
- Cuban Style Black Beans
Is rice pudding Gluten free?
Yes ! Rice is gluten free and so are all other ingredients used in making this pudding. So it is suitable for people who want to avoid gluten.
Is this rice pudding Vegan?
Yes ! This recipe is eggless and dairy free. Since we are using plant based milk , it is suitable for vegan diet.
We would love to hear your feedback!! Use the PIN button in the recipe card or image below to pin this recipe !
★ If you make this Instant Pot Vegan Rice Pudding Recipe , do let us know how you like it by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below.
- 1 cup Rice rinsed and washed
- 4 cups Almond milk
- 1/2 cup Almond Flour
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup ( adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg Powder
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Add all ingredients in the main insert of the InstantPot. Close lid with vent in SEALING position.
Set instant pot to PORRIDGE mode on high pressure. When instant pot beeps, wait on the KEEP WARM timer for 10 minutes. Release the leftover pressure by turning the knob to VENTING after 10 minutes.
Open Instant Pot lid and mix well. Rice pudding is ready. Serve warm or chilled.
If the pudding looks too liquidy, turn on the SAUTE mode and cook for 2-3 mins stirring constantly. If the pudding looks too dry, add more milk, mix and let it come to boil for few minute.
Let it cool down for some time. Add your favorite toppings. Serve warm or cold. Enjoy !!
Once you refrigerate the pudding overnight, it thickens substantially. To get it back to desired smooth consistancy, stir in some cold milk.
5 WAYS TO FLAVOR THE CLASSIC RICE PUDDING
- Chocolate Rice Pudding- Add a teaspoon of cacao powder to your original rice pudding and mix well. To make it extra fancy, top it off with shaved chocolate pieces. Umm too good !!
- Apple Cinnamon Rice Pudding - Add bite sized apple pieces ( 1/4 cup) and (1/4 teaspoon) cinnamon powder and mix well. It's a quanteial favorite in my house.
- Nuts and Raisins - Stir in 1/4 cup chopped Walnuts, almonds, pecans or cashews and raisins or (dates or figs) to make this pudding nutty and sweet.
- Exotic spices Saffron, Nutmeg, cinnamon and cardamom - Make it Indian or middle eastern style rice pudding. Add a pinch of saffron, crushed cardamom, dash of nutmeg and cinnamon. You will love the exotic and intense flavors!
- Fruit Melody - Stir in 1/4 cup chopped fruit to make it lucious and colorful. Most berries, mangoes, peaches work superbly!!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Simply Organic Ground Ceylon Cinnamon
Bob's Red Mill Super-Fine Gluten Free Almond Flour, 3 Pound
Simply Organic Nutmeg Ground CERTIFIED ORGANIC 2.3oz. bottle
Crown Maple Organic Grade A Maple Syrup, Amber, 12.7 Ounce
Daawat Traditional Basmati Rice, 10 Pound
Instant Pot DUO Plus 60, 6 Qt 9-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 136Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 8mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g