Vegetable Lo Mein noodles is a classic Chinese noodles recipe full of colorful veggies and tossed in an easy sauce. No need for take out when you can make your own in just 20 minutes!
I am including instructions to make these vegan lo mein on the stove top as well as in electric pressure cooker like Instant Pot.
THE RECIPE CARD IS LOCATED TOWARDS THE END. Amazon affiliate link disclosure is below as well. Before scrolling to the recipe card, do check the HELPFUL RECIPE TIPS in the post.
BETTER THAN TAKE OUT :
P.F. Chang’s, Panda Express and similar Chinese restaurants whip out some amazing lo mein noodles. I absolutely love these noodles for a quick and easy meal.
But time it takes to get out of the house and pick up the food or the time it takes for these places to deliver the food seems like eternity.
By the time food comes, kids and I often end up eating whatever is around and that’s not good.
So I keep a few wonderful recipes that can be done in 20 minutes or so in my repertoire. These easy and quick recipes are life ( hunger) saviors since they are no fuss too.
Plus they match the flavors and taste of takeout. You control the quality of ingredients , don’t have to worry about MSG or other hard to pronounce filler ingredients. Clean healthy eating made easy !
The beauty of these recipes is simplicity and versatility. You can get going with basic pantry ingredients and then mix and match with whatever you have in refrigerator… 20 minutes of chef show and dinner is served !!
So my friends, let’s put your chef’s hat on and let’s get cooking these Vegetable Lo Mein Noodles.
HOW DO YOU MAKE VEGETABLE LO MEIN NOODLES?
The first step is to boil your noodles! I used spaghetti noodles, but you can really use any long noodle – linguine, Hakka noodles, Asian rice noodles, use any that you have handy.
While the noodles are boiling, gather ingredients to make that lip smacking yummy sauce. Most of the ingredients for the sauce can be found in the major grocery stores, asian food markets or Amazon.
Prep the veggies: I like a little crunch in my lo mein noodles, so I add in some colorful veggies. Cut these veggies thin. So they cook quickly. A quick saute/ stir fry is all you need to do.
Mix it all together. Adjust the seasoning and you are done !! Vegetable lo mein are ready to be devoured!!
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF COOKING NOODLES IN INSTANT POT?
- I love cooking noodles and pasta in Instant Pot. It is so much simple and easier. First only one pot is used in cooking. So easier clean up afterwards.
- Additionally, it saves time and efforts since no need to boil the water and noodles, stir the noodles, drain the water etc. You are saving time by cooking everything in a single pot without monitoring it.
- Pasta and noodles cooked in Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker are very moist and soft. They tend be little more stickier than traditionally cooked noodles.
OK, IF THE CURIOUS MINDS WANT TO KNOW ,
What is the difference between Lo Mein and Chow Mein ?
We hear both these terms used interchangeably every so often. The primary difference is in the cooking technique of how these noodles are prepared. Chow Mein are crispy crunchy noodles since they are fried. Lo mein, on the other hand, are soft and tender since they are boiled. There you have it folks..you decide what you want to call these noodles..
I serve my lo mein noodles with a side of CHILI GARLIC EDAMAME for a lunch or dinner that’s authentic and satisfying.
HERE ARE SOME OTHER DELICIOUS ONE POT DINNER RECIPES TO TRY
- HIBACHI STYLE FRIED RICE
- CHINESE SPICY GREEN BEANS
- ONE POT ENCHILADA RICE
- SPAGHETTI LENTIL BOLOGNESE
- TURMERIC CABBAGE STIR-FRY
- PENNE ROSA – CREAMY TOMATO SAUCE PASTA
VEGETABLE LO MEIN RECIPE VARIATIONS
- These lo-mein noodles are great served warm, cold or at room temperature.
- Looking for a little more protein? Add in your favorite like tofu, seitan, eggs, chicken or shrimp.
- Don’t like the veggies I used ? Substitute your favorites. Just try to cut them even and thinly sliced so they cook well.
- What if you don’t have all the sauces ? You can skip a few like rice vinegar by using lemon juice instead. You can use any other Chinese stir fry sauce or even Teriyaki sauce.
WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS OF VEGETABLE LO MEIN
- Noodles : I used gluten free spaghetti noodles. You can use chow mein, any long Italian noodles or Hakka noodles. You make these noodles in water or low sodium vegetable broth.
- Veggies : I am using thinly Minced Ginger and garlic, sliced green cabbage, matchstick carrots, green onions, and broccoli florets.
- Sauce Mix : The sauce is made using Sesame oil, Soy sauce ( or tamari or liquid coconut amino) , Hoisin Sauce , Rice Vinegar and Brown sugar. Salt and pepper if needed and adjust per taste.
★ If you make this INSTANT POT VEGETABLE LO MEIN Recipe, do let us know how you like it by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below.
Vegetable Lo Mein Noodles - Instant Pot Recipe
Lo Mein Sauce Ingredients :
INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS :
- Press SAUTE button on the InstantPot. Add sesame oil to the inner pot of the Instant Pot and give it a swirl so the oil coats the bottom.. Add ginger and garlic and all the veggies. Sprinkle some salt. Stir and cook for few minutes till veggies are softened and tender. Cancel SAUTE. Remove the veggies and set aside.
- Add water or broth to the inner steel insert. Deglaze the pot by scraping the bottom. Spread noodles across the bottom of the pot. Add all the listed sauce ingredients. Give the mixture a good stir. Close the lid. Valve at sealing position.
- Choose MANUAL, high pressure, 4 minutes.
- When Instant Pot is done cooking, do a quick release by moving the valve from sealing to venting. After the silver pin drops, carefully open the lid.
- Stir the noodles few times, breaking up any that may have clumped together during cooking. Add back the earlier sautéed veggies.
- Initially, your noodles will look watery. While stirring, you should see that noodles are absorbing the water. Stir well. Check and adjust the seasoning.
- Scoop out the noodles. Garnish with chopped green onions, sesame seeds and serve warm.
STOVE TOP INSTRUCTIONS :
- Cook noodles according to package instructions.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet. Add in cut veggies. Sprinkle a pinch of salt. Sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add in minced garlic and ginger and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in the sauce ingredients and cooked noodles and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately with sesame seeds and chopped green onions for garnish.
Tips to make the best Instant Pot Lo MeinIf the noodles look wet after cooked, turn the saute mode and cook for few minutes so water evaporates. Take the steel insert out of the instant pot once cooked, so the noodles don’t overcook. Adjust the sauces to your taste when serving. do not do the natural release as it will cause your food to overcook). This noodles recipe is very versatile, you can change the vegetables and sauces to your preference.