Enchilada Rice is marvelous one pot rice, perfect for quick, healthy, easy and delicious dinner. Bursting with your favorite Mexican flavors, this vegetarian rice will become your favorite wholesome meal prep.
I also love this Instant Pot Rice Bowl for school and office lunches as well as weekly menu planning and prep ahead meal.
What is enchilada rice?
Colorful veggies, rice, black beans and corn cooked in robust enchilada sauce. All flavors mend together perfectly as they are simmered and pressure cooked together. A perfect fiesta to please all the senses from looks to taste !!
This one-pot enchilada rice recipe is so versatile that you can make many different dishes using it as a base. Think tacos, burritos and salads. You can also devour it as-is if you so wish. It’s truly a ONE POT WONDER MEAL.
Healthy and wholesome cooking doesn’t get much simpler than Instant Pot Vegan Enchilada Rice Bowl. This enchilada rice is fuss free casserole dish made with simple ingredients that produce big flavors.
Just a handful of wholesome clean ingredients and a few minutes of cooking in your Instant Pot, and lip smacking yummy dinner is yours in no time…without having to actively watch and cook it.
Perfect to feed a crowd on a budget. This InstantPot Enchilada Rice recipe has everything to make it perfect weeknight global fare fiesta.
Delicious and filling – This carbohydrate and protein rich rice with beans will keep you satiated and full for long time.
Quick cooking and clean up– it takes less than 20 minutes to put together! Everything cooks in just one pot. Only one pot to clean up.
Healthy – loaded with plant-based protein, carbohydrates, fiber and nutrients without empty calories.
Easy – you only need a handful of ingredients that are super accessible.
Life is busy. You want to stay on course with healthy eating lifestyle. You want food that tastes good without spending a lot of time in the kitchen.
So you create one pot well-rounded meals like Instant Pot Vegan Enchilada Rice Bowl.
Why I love cooking rice in Instant Pot
I love that the Instant Pot gives you the option to do most of cooking steps at one go. You can sauté, simmer, cook and steam all in one pot. Most recipes thus become DUMP AND GO.
On busy weeknight, I often prep everything in Instant Pot, set the timer and go out. Hot and delicious dinner awaits when I come back home. You won’t believe how awesome and comforting that feeling is. Simple pleasures of happy life.
Rice : I am using long grain basmati rice. You can use white or brown rice. Both long grain or short grain rice works.
Vegetables : I am using red bell peppers, sweet corn and baby spinach. Chopped cilantro leaves for garnish.
Beans : Canned black beans add great depth of meaty texture.
Enchilada Sauce : I am using store brought enchilada sauce to make this rice. Adding my Amazon Affiliate link for Tres Latin Foods Red Enchilada Skillet Sauce to make this recipe. ( it’s not a sponsored post) I like their list of clean, non GMO ingredients. It is also gluten free and vegan sauce which is perfect. The taste of this sauce is simply AMAZING. You can also use green enchilada sauce as well.
Other Ingredients : Cooking oil for sautéing. ( skip if you want to make it WFPB oil free). Use onion, minced garlic and jalapeno pepper for bold flavors. Cumin powder and smoked paprika for earthy flavors. Salt and black pepper round up the taste.
Do you and your family love Hot and bold spicy food ? Use the hottest sauce you can find to make this recipe.
Are you serving this to the folks with sensitive taste buds? Then opt for a mild enchilada sauce so everyone can indulge on it. Use a sauce that reflects your spice preference.
Choose one – choose all – choice is yours’s but here are few suggestions to make this enchilada rice bowl even more interesting.
- Avocado ( to avoid browning, use it just before serving)
- Lime or lemon juice
- Sliced jalapeno
- Crunchy tortilla chips
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt ( dairy free if vegan)
- And if you like it SPICY – try mango Habanero sauce .. fiery hot but soo good !
- Cheese : use your favorite Mexican blend cheese. Use vegan cheese to make it dairy free.
How about cold frosty Corona or Dos Equis with lime wedges, Paloma, Red Wine Sangria or Margarita with salted rim for adults and mango mocktail for little tikes to round up this festive fiesta? Vivir feliz vida gozosa todos los días ( Live the happy blissful life everyday )
You can serve this wholesome enchilada rice as is for lunch or dinner. You can pair it along with mango peach salsa for fresh flavor addition.
How to Make Instant Pot Enchilada Rice
- Sauté the chopped onions and jalapeno peppers in the oil till they sizzle
- Add all other veggies, rice and beans and mix everything well.
- Stir in Enchilada Sauce and Spices. Mix well.
- Add water or broth and mix well. Pressure cook on high for 5 minutes. After cooking is done, wait for 5 minutes and then release the pressure and fluff the rice with fork. Your delicious rice is ready, Serve warm and enjoy.
You can make enchilada rice skillet on stove top or in slow cooker as well. Recipe card includes instructions for both these methods.
❤ If you make this ProfusionCurry Recipe, do let us know how you like it by ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Star Rating and commenting below ! ❤
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 jalapeño de-seeded & chopped
- 3-4 large garlic cloves finely chopped or minced
- 1 medium red pepper chopped
- 1 cup white rice long grain, rinsed and drained
- 1 can 15 oz. black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 cup sweet corn frozen or canned
- 1 cup fresh or frozen spinach
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ cup Chopped cilantro
- 1 lemon or lime wedges,
- 1 cup diced avocado, and tortilla chips, to serve
- ½ cup Mexican cheese
How to Make Instant Pot Enchilada Rice
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant Pot. Once it displays hot, add the oil to the pot. Add the garlic, onion, jalapeño and sweet peppers. Sauté for 1 minute, till they start to sizzle.
- Add black beans, corn, spinach, cumin powder, smoked paprika and salt. Add Rice and red enchilada sauce. Mix everything well.
- Add water or broth to the pot. Scrap everything at the bottom and make sure nothing is stuck there. ( de-glazing)
- Close the lid, push valve at sealing position. Press the MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK button and select high pressure for 5 minutes.
- After InstantPot beeps when it's done cooking, wait on the KEEP WARM counter for 5 minutes and then do a quick pressure release.
- Open the lid. Using the fork, gently fluff the rice.
- Stir in the cheese( if using) and garnish with chopped cilantro, a good squeeze of lemon juice and avocado slices. Serve warm.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- To cook this in a slow cooker, saute all the aromatics first, then add all the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker. Add water and/or broth. Mix well. Then cook for 4-6 hours until rice is cooked and fork tender.
Stove Top Instructions
- Just follow the instructions as above, but use a large stockpot or Dutch stockpot and simmer on medium low until the water is evaporated. Lower the gas heat , cover and cook til rice are soft and tender. Total cooking time about 20 minutes.