Make homemade Christmas potpourri to scent your home without the expense of store-bought tins filled with powerful chemical fragrances. Learn how easy it is to make homemade Christmas potpourri with just 5 inexpensive ingredients. With a simmer pot, your home will smell like a sweet spice market.
Homemade gifts are always so popular and well liked. Making these DIY Christmas Potpourri Jars is easy and inexpensive. But they make lasting impressions as a gift. After all, these beautiful festive mason jars gifts will be filling your home with inviting warm aroma.
Similar to Chocolate Peanut Clusters, Peppermint Bark, Chocolate Dipped Pretzels , and Homemade Chocolate Fudge, this simmer pot recipe of potpourri is our favorite DIY Christmas Gift for the holiday season.
You can simmer this holiday Potpourri on your stovetop, in Instant Pot or in a slow cooker or crockpot and fill your home with a blend of cozy inviting delicious scents all throughout winter months and holidays.
Oranges : I am using one sliced orange. It adds nice and invigorating fragrance. You can also use dry orange peels instead.
Cranberries : Cranberries add beautiful festive look to the simmer pot. It is however optional to use them since they do not fragrance of their own.
Cinnamon Sticks and Star Anise : My favorite mulling spices. They have warm and inviting aromas that is instant mood booster.
Rosemary : Fresh herbs adds refreshing herbal smell with woody undertones. It blends well with all other scents in this simmer pot.
- You can use other spices. Allspice , nutmeg, vanilla extract or whole cloves are excellent additions for warm and soothing scents.
- Instead of rosemary sprigs , you can use bay leaves sage or fresh pine or spruce leaves for classic Christmas feel.
- other citrus fruits like Lemons and grapefruits can be substituted for oranges. Apple Slices are also work.
How to Make
Slice the orange Into thick slices or quarters.
Place all of the ingredients in a pot on the stove. Pour in enough water to cover the ingredients by at least an inch.
Simmer on low heat, uncovered, checking periodically and adding more water when needed.
To Make A DIY Christmas Potpourri Mason Jar Gift
Choose a wide mouth mason jar. Fill it with whole oranges( I prefer to use smaller sized cutie oranges or tangerines ), cranberries, fresh rosemary twigs along with cinnamon sticks and star Anis.
Close the lid. Tie a beautiful ribbon around it. Put a festive ribbon and a note describing how to make a simmer pot. Add a gift tag and gift away. Keep assembled jars in refrigerator and gift within a week to maintain freshness of ingredients.
Other DIY Christmas Gift Ideas
❤ If you make this ProfusionCurry Recipe, do let us know how you like it by ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Star Rating and commenting below ! ❤
- 1 small orange tangerines or clementine preferred
- ½ cup fresh cranberries
- 3-4 cinnamon sticks
- 1-2 whole star anise
- 2-3 fresh Rosemary Springs
How to Make Christmas stovetop potpourri
- Slice the orange Into thick slices or quarters.
- Place all of the ingredients in a pot on the stove. Pour in enough water to cover the ingredients by at least an inch.
- Simmer on low heat, uncovered. Make sure to check periodically and add more water as and when needed.
How to simmer potpourri in Instant Pot
- Slice the orange Into thick slices or quarters. Place all of the ingredients in the main insert. Pour in enough water to cover the ingredients by at least an inch.
- Press Sauté button. Let the mixture come to boil. Cancel Sauté. Press Keep warm function and let the potpourri mixture slowly simmer. Make sure to check periodically and add more water as and when needed.
How to make crockpot potpourri
- Slice the orange Into thick slices or quarters. Add Ingredients to the pot and cover with water. Set to low and let it simmer uncovered.
- You can use other spices. Allspice , nutmeg, vanilla or cloves are excellent additions for warm and soothing scents.
- Instead of rosemary, you can use sage or fresh pine or spruce leaves for classic Christmas feel.
- Lemons and grapefruits can be substituted for oranges.
- This mixture can also be used as a soothing herbal tea for drinking.