Creamy Asparagus Broccoli Soup is best light and nourishing soup. It is simple to make and delicious to eat. This one pot soup can be made in 30 minutes on Instant Pot or on the stovetop.
This creamy soup is Keto friendly ( 8 gms net carbs per serving) and low calorie. It combines two highly nutritional dense super foods. There is Broccoli and Asparagus. Together, they make it healthy and delicious Super Food Soup.
The soup recipe also is gluten free, soy free, dairy free and vegan. It has smooth, velvety creamy texture without adding any cream to it. And the flavors are totally divine.
SEASONAL SPRING RECIPE
We know spring is around the corner when you start to see abundance of fresh tender asparagus in the grocery stores. I love using asparagus through- out the year but asparagus and spring just go so well together.
As winter winds down, I always look forward to my CSA (community supported agriculture) produce box. In the beginning, there often is a stack of freshly picked asparagus bunch and head of tender broccoli included in it.
HEALTHY MEAL PLANNING
Using fresh seasonal ingredients is key to healthy meal planning. From early spring and throughout the summer, I love to make asparagus and broccoli stir-fry with variety of topping for side dish.
I also like to make a soup out of it. The spring air still has some nice breezy chill to it and I feel that this soup accentuates that light mood perfectly. Plus it gives A nice cozy feel.
BETTER THAN CANNED SOUP
You will notice that this lovely soup is hearty and full of flavors yet low calorie. And it tastes WAY better than canned Cream of Asparagus Soup. Since there are no artificial ingredients included, it tastes superbly light and fresh !
PRO TIPS TO MAKE BEST ASPARAGUS SOUP
- I am using little almond flour for thickening the soup. Just a table spoon of almond flour will eliminate the need to add any thickener and will not change the light taste of the asparagus or broccoli.
- You can also use all purpose flour or rice flour instead of almond flour. This also adds nice creamy texture and thickness.
- This deliciously fresh and light soup is best enjoyed with delicate flavors but if spice is your thing, feel free to add more ground black pepper, red chili flakes or small green chili while cooking.
- Always choose the tender and fresh asparagus. If you notice your asparagus is tough and woody, remove the outer layer otherwise the soup gets strings or threads of the stem which is not very pleasant to eat.
- Also, remove bottom ¼ of asparagus spears before using. Many times asparagus has lot of sand stuck between the stalks so make sure to rinse it thoroughly.
STORING AND MEAL PREP
This delicious soup stores well. It will thicken some after refrigerating, so before reheating , add some water, mix well and then warm it up.
Store it in glass container for 3-4 days. It makes filling meal prep for school or office lunches. Pair it with some hearty protein packed salad or artisan sandwich for café style lunch.
KID FRIENDLY / FAMILY FAVORITE SOUP RECIPE
If kids are picky eaters, this type of puree of soup is excellent way to add veggies and fiber in their daily diet. I call it sneakily healthy.
Many times, we notice that kids are reluctant to chew the sautéed veggies. Pureeing the veggies into creamy soup makes it easy to get your daily intake of veggies in without much efforts.
My kids love this recipe. It is our family favorite. It’s mild and pleasant to taste. You can also adjust the seasoning and ingredients to adjust to your liking.
Recipe card has exact measurements. Here’s a little blurb about what you need to make this refreshing light soup.
- ASPARAGUS – tender fresh stalks are preferred. You can however use frozen. I do not recommend using canned asparagus.
- BROCCOLI – You can use florets as well as stems. Fresh or frozen either works.
- OLIVE OIL – I prefer extra virgin olive oil
- ALMOND FLOUR – Helps thicken the soup and gives a nice creamy feel. You can use this roux instead of cream for lowering calories.
- MINCED GARLIC
- ALMOND MILK – Adding almond milk makes the soup nice and creamy. You can use regular milk, half and half, heavy cream or coconut milk as well.
- ITALIAN SEASONING
- WATER OR VEGETABLE BROTH – I prefer veggie broth since it adds nice depth of flavors.
- LEMON ZEST – adds nice touch of freshness.
- SALT AND PEPPER
- OPTIONAL GARNISHES : Red chili pepper flakes, garlic infused olive oil, fresh herbs or croutons.
HOW TO MAKE
- Wash and remove bottom ¼ of asparagus spears. Roughly chop broccoli and asparagus into pieces.
- Sauté the minced garlic in olive oil for 30 seconds. Add almond flour and sauté couple minutes so the flour cooks well and doesn’t taste raw.
- Mix in seasoning and sauté for a minute so it starts to release the aroma.
- Add cut asparagus spears and broccoli. Sauté for couple more minutes. Add water (broth) and salt. Stir well.
- Close the lid and cook / steam the soup mix until it’s soft. ( about 15 mins). Turn off the heat.
- Using a blender of your choice, blend the soup to smooth puree.
- Return the soup back to pot. Bring it to light simmer and add almond milk. Mix well and let it come to gentle boil. Turn off the heat.
- Garnish it with some lemon zest, freshly ground black pepper, drizzle some olive oil on top and enjoy warm.
Using Immersion Blender v/s Stand Mixer
If you use immersion blender, you will notice some stands or asparagus threads do not fully blend. I prefer to strain the soup for smooth texture.
Otherwise, you can also let the soup cool down completely and then puree in the blender or stand mixer. This gives best results.
OUR POPULAR AND DELICIOUS SOUP RECIPES
- Lentil Quinoa Soup
- White Bean And Spinach Soup
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Creamy Gnocchi Soup
- 15 Bean Cajun Vegetable Soup
- Vegan Spilt Pea Soup
- Easy Minestrone Soup
- Healthy Black Bean Soup
- Winter Warmer Soup
★ If you make this CREAMY ASPARAGUS BROCCOLI SOUP RECIPE do let us know how you like it by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below.
- 2 cups chopped fresh asparagus
- 2 cups Broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups low sodium broth or water
- 2 tbsp. almond flour
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- Salt, freshly ground black pepper and red chili flakes for garnish and per taste
Useful Kitchen Tools
INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS :
Remove bottom ¼ of asparagus spears. Sometimes Asparagus has lot of sand stuck between the stalks so make sure to rinse it thoroughly.
Turn on Instant Pot Sauté mode. Once it displays hot, add olive oil and garlic. Sauté for a minute.
Add almond flour and seasoning. Sauté few times.
Add cut asparagus spears and broccoli. Sauté for couple more minutes. Add water (broth) and salt. Stir well. Make sure that nothing is stuck at the bottom of the insert (deglaze)
Cancel Sauté. Close the lid. Vent in sealing position. Press manual 3 minutes.
After IP beeps and goes to Keep Warm timer wait for 5 minutes and release the pressure. Open the lid when silver pin drops.
Using an immersion blender in the pot, blend the soup to smooth puree. If you notice too many fiber strands, strain the soup.
(Alternatively, let the soup cool down and the puree it in stand mixer)
Press SAUTE again.Mix in Almond milk. Let the soup come to gentel boil. Turn off SAUTE,
Add Lemon Zest. Mix well. Garnish it with some ground black pepper, red chili flakes. Drizzle some olive oil on top and enjoy warm.
STOVE TOP INSTRUCTIONS :
Use a soup pot and heat it up on medium heat. Add olive oil and let it warm up for a minute. Add garlic. Sauté it for a minute.
Add seasoning and almond flour and sauté few times. Add cut asparagus spears and broccoli. Sauté for couple more minutes. Add water (broth) and salt. Stir well.
Cover the pot and let it simmer for about 15 minutes. Check occasionally. The vegetables should be tender . Turn the heat off.
Using an immersion blender or stand mixer to puree the soup.
Pour it back in the pot. Add Almond milk and mix well. Bring it to gentel boil. Turn off the heat.
Add lemon zest. Garnish it with ground black pepper and red chili flakes. Drizzle some olive oil on top and enjoy warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Real Italian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil. First Cold press. Imported from Italy. Awards Winner 16 Fl Oz Bottle
Trader Joe's Rainbow Peppercorns , a Mixture of Brazilian Pink,indian Green,malaysian White and Indian Black Tellicherry Peppercorns
Spice World, ORGANIC GARLIC - LARGE Container - 32 OZ
Instant Pot DUO Plus 60, 6 Qt 9-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 BOWL
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 109Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 248mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 6g
Nutritional values are provided as a courtesy and the values are approximate. The values will change depending on the exact ingredients, measurements and brands used. As always, for specific health issues and dietary requirements please consult medical professional.
This post was originally posted on July 16, 2018. It is updated on February 24, 2021 with Instant Pot instructions, better images and process shot collage.